BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    That's a snarky way to say that I change my oil at the recommended miles (6,000) as opposed to the 3,000 that some suggest or recommend. I often hear that "oil is cheap, but a motor is not." Even my car mechanic says it.

I don't think a $50 oil change every 3K is cheap (I ride about 10,000 per year). I just completed a 5K mile trip in two weeks and I would have had to change it during the trip.

My solution is to get my oil analyzed once in a while and also whilst doing so ask for a TPN check to see how many miles are left on the oil. My analysis said I could easily go to 7,500 miles, but since I'm still under warranty I might want to stick with 6K. (Checked a Ducati once and they said change it now as it had fuel in the oil - later found out it was running very rich).

No guessing, no emotional decision - just the facts. By the way, the report actually said the oil was "clean, clean, clean." Also, all the other parameters were in spec as expected for the R1200R motor.

YMMV
  2. Wanderer2012

Wanderer2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LostRider,

Thanks for your thoughts, and yea agree on all that...

Seems dumb that they don't put some low tread wear indicators on, so shall keep a eye on that, and i to would be petty unhappy if i got to where you did out on a ride...
    Was looking to put on Metzler M5s, slightly more sport orientated, maybe like the Pilot powers, but told they don't heat up so quick, an as our roads an temps, an rain much like england, had the Angels suggested, and there on a new product special, still nearly $500 of our money though, $650 for the M5s...
    Thinking they got to be a whole lot better than the old pilot thats on the rear, Im told a 30yr old design...

Cheers Jeremy
  3. Wanderer2012

Wanderer2012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where does one take oil for testing, how much oil they need, whats involved...

Not come across that before, find it interesting to know whats going on, and Im in the change at 3k miles, 5k kms camp, currently on Castrol Active evo 4T, Mineral oil, and just coming up to my 12k miles, 20k km service...
    Also been using recently LUCAS Oils upper cylinder lube an cleaner, small bottle, split the 155mls into 3 tanks of gas about every 3rd fill...
    Any body used or have any opinion on that..?

On a R1100S Currently, looking to add to my garage, keen on a R1200R, maybe a classic with spoke wheels, as im in my 50s, an all bikes i grew up with had them...:evil

Cheers Jeremy.
  4. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    hey folks....
    I'm interested in getting a r1200r.
    I may post random questions here. Please dont hate me.:freaky
  5. sugarcrook

sugarcrook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another forum to check out is http://www.r1200rforum.com/
  6. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...random away matey... :1drink
  7. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I am riding my R1200R and it just ran out of gas on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The computer lied about how many miles were left. I was heading west for the Lawn rest stop when it stalled. I wasn't surprised. I pulled in clutch and coasted downhill about 1-2 miles. At lowest point just before the incline up to the rest stop, I stopped next to grass embankment, tipped the bike to right to slosh gas from left low point of tank over to the right side where pump is. Started it and rode 1/2 mile up to Lawn rest stop.

It took 5.6 US gallons. I think the manual calls for only five gallons capacity.

[​IMG]

Well, time to get rollin'!

Fred (from the Pa Tpk)
  8. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:

This seems like a nice play to ask questions....and get answers!
    I'm not new to BMWs, but I am new to boxers.

I'm not trying to "troll" but for what year bike did BMW change the rear wheel flange from aluminum to steel? I was reading about some problems. When looking for used bikes, I'd like to know what years to avoid...

When buying a used R...what should I look for? I don't want to buy a bike and miss the fact that it had a bad ABS computer or something like that. I may restrict my search to dealerships (and not craigslist) in hopes of having something to fall back to...i.e. they want to protect their rep and not sell me a broken bike.

Is this a good deal (from a local dealership, so probably not):
    Price $11,997.00 (not incl. taxes, tags, etc)
    Miles 1838 mi
    Includes BMW OEM side cases and windscreen,
    automatic stability control, ABS, heated grips, center stand,
    on board computer

I'm hoping to get a bike that I'd want to keep for a long time.
  9. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great deal to me if it's a camhead (which a 2011 should be).
  10. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Jeremy:

I currently use Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I've used another in the past, but cannot remember the name. Blackstone was $25 for the analysis, but I added $10 for the TPN test (if you are interested in knowing how much longer you have on the oil). I sent the oil in on a Monday and had my analysis via email by Wednesday! Got a paper copy later the next week.

I must say that the best thing about it is that it takes the guessing out of it.

They send you a sampling kit for free and you send back a few ounces in their container. Cost about $6.00 to ship it in a USPS envelop.

11. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a demo with that low of miles. As long as it was broken in properly not bad bike. Price it decent, but for that it would be good to get bags (hard panniers) with it.
  12. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    ok thanks for the price so I can use as a comparison.

It comes with cases.

I guess I have no idea how it was broken in. How can I tell? There's probably no way....
  13. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:

Good thinking.
    A new bike is:
    $13,975.00 base price
    838.5 6% sales tax
    202 - title/reg/tags
    99 - doc prep (wtf is this? lol)
    2 - tire tax
    = 15116.5
    not including the $1500 - windscreen and cases

So, yeah, it's expensive to buy a brand new bike...and probably not really worth it.

In this specific case, the point is MOOT! I just checked the dealer's website and it looks like the bike is not in the used bikes page. Probably sold! Dang! :cry

The search continues....at least I have a better idea on pricing....
  14. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    My R came with heated grips, obc, traction control. ABS is standard. I also bought the factory bags ($900?) with the $35.00 EACH locks. It was the only Red R in the state.

So Base price is one thing, but what they have on the floor is another.

For me it was worth it. Its almost a year old and 20,000+ mile. Still looks new. I don't have a car in the summer.

David
  15. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...all good, no worries, all forums use to be called "information forums"..:norton

Seems like a fair deal if it's got all that stuff. Should be worry free deal coming from a dealer too.
    Nice it's the newer gen to. I like the wheels and the cockpit better than my '07. Upgraded motor as well if I have my years correct.

I've been through a slew of boxers and this R is by far the smoothest running, best shifting, and best handling I've ever had. Definitely a keeper. A bike to retire with.

I just saw a bike or two for sale at the R1150R Forum recently.
    May want to check. Might save you some cash buying from a private party.
  16. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One option with bikes located far from you is to post in the regional forums. An inmate in that area may be willing to swing by and give the bike a once over.
  17. OTB

OTB Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer:
    I hope this isn't out of line, but I have a brand new custom Sargent seat for a R1200r that I would like to sell. You cam PM me for details, pics and price.
  18. Derbobs

Derbobs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    isn't she a beauty. :)

[​IMG]
  19. comac90

comac90 Where's Charlie?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My New-to-me 2010 with Touring pkg. A little ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday afternoon stretching the legs... :clap

Now ... anyone wanna trade their low mileage regular height seat for either a factory low seat or a custom regular height comfort seat? I have both. :evil

T
  20. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    ^hey! beautiful bike!

Hmmmm...
    ok...this may be my last post as a non-owner. :)
    It looks like I can get a 2011 w/ about 5,000miles on it.
    Comes with side cases, heated grips, sport windscreen, ABS, ASC...I think it's overall called the "safety package".
    The warranty exp 6/2014

$11000.00 Base
    taxes, tags,reg,etc.....
    $12232.94 Total

The options I got from a VIN decoder:

<table class="table table-striped table-condensed"><tbody><tr><td><center>X135A</center></td><td>Steuerung Bedienkonzept</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>Q310A</center></td><td>Sicherheitspaket</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X519A</center></td><td>Heizgriffe</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X539A</center></td><td>Bordcomputer</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X560A</center></td><td>Windschild Sport</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X630A</center></td><td>I-ABS Generation 2</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X650A</center></td><td>ASC</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X681A</center></td><td>Kofferhalter links/rechts</td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X710A</center></td><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr><td><center>X992A</center></td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Is this a good deal? I think so....
    Also, when the warranty expires, will I be able to purchase extended warranty? Will I get something in the mail about it?