MotoGP: Holland Days (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree that these people aren't social workers. Where you and I disagree is on the form of payment they demand. In my view, money is secondary, a substitute for status, and will be sacrificed for glory 99 times out of 100.
  2. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    the way motogp is structured you could say all the major riders are paid a salary by dorna
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My opinion is that status and money are inseparable.
  4. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ref Rossi,

he's paid his tax fines, got his yacht(s) , ferrari's, etc etc enough in the bank to whatever he wants and yet on his weekend off he is racing with friends , peers etc.

I reckon the guy would race for absolutely nothing. Would he get enough through endorsements yep he would. Millions.

He sits in business class in aircraft where first class is available and reads friggin motobike magazines in a hoody with his mates sippin a beer.

My personal opinion is that he is not money driven.......anymore, (he may have been but i think he simply loves the industry). The smart-ass goofey kid who loves to pull a fast one on his mates, he's gotten older but never grown up so to speak.

If MotoGP ceased to exist tomorrow, he would still race, even lawnmowers.

The above is a personal opinion and not meant to aggrevate anyone in this community.
  5. Kropotkin

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of research in behavioral psychology to indicate that the two are not inseparable. The most obvious example is the experiment where people are asked if they would like to have $20 and have someone else have $25, or have $15 and someone else have $10. The vast majority go for $15.

But as someone else has pointed out, this belongs more in CS&M than in Racing.

I will say that it is my impression that money is a secondary consideration to the elite athletes in the MotoGP paddock. There are a number of them who could be earning a lot more than they are if they were to switch to WSBK, but they prefer to remain in MotoGP.
  6. Kropotkin

Oddometer:
  7. Moronic

Moronic Long timer

Oddometer: