950 SAS Blanking Plates

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Katoum, May 18, 2004.

1. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    $20.00 shipped sounds fair enough to me, I'll send you my address via PM.
    Thanks!
  2. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    Sound good to me too! my address is coming
  3. Gert

Gert Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    Great! I'd like a set as well.

Make sure you pick a price where you won't loose money on the deal. I think all of the people here are willing to pay a fair price for your efforts.

Pls. let me know the final amount and where to send the check to.
  4. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need a set too! Thanks
  5. backdaddy

backdaddy FDNY never forget

Oddometer:
    Me want a set too. RP
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    We are having some made by a CNC machinist too. Thought about anodizing them Orange or Black with a KTM or LC8 logo too but when fitted you'll never see these plates again so we won't.

SAS/SLS doesn't affect exhaust popping on decel. at all (it's shut off on a closed throttle). Just as it doesn't affect performance in any way. It keeps the gases cleaner by bleeding fresh air into the exhaust ports after combustion but only when the throttle valves are open (i.e. when the engine pulls). The only benefit from removing SAS is to tidy things up a little under the tank and get rid of some unnecessary parts and save 2/300 grams on a 500 pound bike. :D

Nothing noticeable or magic will happen. Just a remark to avoid possible disappointment.
  7. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    I have to disagree with you.

Perhaps if everything is working perfectly, the SAS & SLS valve don't create poping (or rather removing it won't decrease poping). That is probably VERY true.

But - what if the reeds are not seating properly? What if the vaccum tube is broken off? (Like mine was - it is a dreadfully skinny & weak little fitting). What if the valve is just not functioning correctly?

When this system malfunctions, the bike pops like crazy. I know. I removed my system, and bingo! No more poping.
  8. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like a set too, but I don't know what to do with it.
    If someone could explain once more how the remove the whole thing ?

If it is a DIY mod, write me in for a set :thumb
  9. KTMax

Oddometer:
    I agree, absolutely true. I'm not against removing SAS. It's gotta go on mine too. But normally this system works flawlessly. And it will on 99.9% of all 950s. In a simpler form it has been used on LC4s for fome years already. You could even argue that SAS helps to keep the exhaust system cleaner too (besides the environment :rolleyes ).

My only point was that - apart from malfunction - removing SAS won't do anything for the bike's behavior/performance. But like I said, I'll remove it too. But only because I don't need unnecessary stuff on my bike. :wink:
  10. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Yup! :nod
  11. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Katoum, if you have access to a printer and a credit card you can go to the USPS website and print out your own prepaid shipping labels, tape them on the package and hand 'em to posty...gotta love the net. :thumb
  12. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will removing the SAS have any negative effects on the cats? I know on the F650s, that if you removed the air injection system (air goes directly to the cat) the coverters would plug up shortly after you disabled the system.
  13. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like Flanny, I to must disagree with you on this KTMax, just remove your hose off the sas and rev the bike and chop throttle, pops and back fires like a (while never mind). The vacuum line on the sas is way to fragile. And as to how it affects performance when working correctly, while I can only speak for my bike, but it now runs flawlessly, with only moving needle 1 pos and setting screws to 2 1/4 turns out. As for the weight with all the plumbing removed it is more like 1 kilogram or 2.2 lbs for the rest of us. IMHO
    Cheers :freaky
  14. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you can change your own oil, you can handle this mod, check out Flanny's post for excellant instructions.

15. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I'm at it I could print some money, oh yea I was making Blanking Plates not License plates :rofl
  16. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be quite honest I have no idea what the consequence of removing SAS will have on Catalizers. But if you read a few posts you can see the consequence of leaving the catalizers installed.
    Cheers :freaky

17. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :lol3 maybe I should have mentioned that the credit should be your own. :D
  18. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Guys.... when you send your money to Katoum, include an self addressed label for him. It'll reduce the errors and make it dead simple for him to get the plates out in the mail.

I've done a lot of projects like this for ham radio and sending a label really cuts down on the efforts of the guy mailing the stuff out.

Just a thought......
  19. Ibarra

Ibarra Viva Mexico !

Oddometer:
    It's all good,
    sign me up !!! :nod

Thank you for your efforts.
  20. KTMax

Oddometer:
    It's fine to disagree with eachother. That's part of forum fun'n value IMO. :nod

I've tested my bike with the SAS hose disconnected too. Off course I have! Nothing happened but that's no suprise. But this was after raising the needles, Sommer airbox cover, removing EPC and setting the CO level at 4.2% (which is not the same as 2¼ turns out BTW). These are the actual improvements that do matter. Ghost hunting and whishful thinking guys but I'll end this debate here. No need to go on and on about it.

2.2 lbs for the SAS system?!?... :lol3 You must have special edition 950 with lead plumming or did you bought your scale at Disney World?