Old story, same old story...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by larryboy, Nov 18, 2012.

1. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Must get back down there . . . nice trip LB! :freaky
    larryboy likes this.
  2. PinkPillion

PinkPillion Husqy pilot too...

Oddometer:
    I should have known since it was in Day Trippin' :confused
    You just threw this one in here to make us pine for a DV trip.
    Awesome as usual! Looking forward to the next one.
    :D
    larryboy likes this.
  3. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for the wonderful ride report and for all the Saline Valley tips ... Cary and I hope to be heading down that way on the KLRs tomorrow morning ... looking forward to trying to say "hi" to camp hosts George and Ria for you ...

Sent this link to Cary, and will probably be sorry when she sees how well you eat while camping out ... ha. :ricky

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    larryboy likes this.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    That's the type of thing he does. Thanks a lot Larryboy, you have me wanting to go there too.

Thanks for taking the time to share.
    larryboy likes this.
  5. puddles

puddles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! John knows me too well :)

Rob- Thank you so much for your post. Your reputation for great posts proceeds you :) I am super impressed by your menu...
    Is the trick to freeze everything before you go? Do you wrap things up in insulation?

Maybe if John lets me bring our cookware, I'll try some things out ... It's hard to make everything in a jetboil -ha!

the girl who lived on beef jerky before she saw Larryboy's posts...
    Cary
    SFMCjohn and larryboy like this.
  6. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to ride South Pass in the dark and with all that wind.

We had a hard enough time riding it in daylight with no wind on dual sports.

How was Steele Pass from the springs to the pass? When we ride it about a month ago, 10 miles of the road was completely gone. You are "the man" riding it on the 1150. I don't think I could have done it unless conditions have changed.

Nice report. You could probably have your own camping/cooking/adventure show as you do it like no one else.
    larryboy likes this.
  7. Stravoxylo

Stravoxylo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey LB I think they are calling you an ADV Tease:lol3

Nice ride report as always. Happened to be rolling towards Lake Tahoe a few weeks ago when I had to turn back due to 50 being chains only & Tioga Pass being closed. Definitely not riding weather.
    larryboy likes this.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Oh good, the inmates want to go to DV and some ARE going!! :clap:clap

Yes, food gets frozen solid for days before I leave home, then into a soft cooler. I make sure to keep things in shade at camp.

South Pass was pretty tough in those conditions and it's been hammered so hard by water that there aren't any of the old landmarks. I found Steele Pass very easy, the ranger has flagged the confusing bits and we are even back onto a section that I have never ridden since the route got re-aligned in the 2005 washout, it's a straight section that obviously had a grader on it at some point.

I have gleaned some new intel about some places I haven't seen, I'll be back in the future.

Thanks for letting me 'tease' you all with my little trip.

:beer
    SFMCjohn and german996 like this.
  9. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear more about the trail you took north of Eureka Dunes into Dyer and the route you took to Walker Lake. Did you ride north from Eureka Dunes on Eureka Valley Road?

You said you found Steele Pass easy. Once my group found the road we also found it easy but the wash was a challenge for us to because we kept taking the wrong parts of the wash. We tried to stay in the wash and just follow it but that wasn't that easy to do and I can't imagine trying to do it in the dark.

Has a grader been through there or did you just follow the wash to the saddle? I saw some of the flags you mentioned but there were not enough of them for me to follow

I'd like to do some exploring in that area my next time out. There appears to be many dirt roads between Eureka Dunes and Tonopah, NV. The borders of this area would be:

Highway 95 to the east
    Highway 6 to the north
    HIghway 264 to the west
    Highway 266 to the south

If anyone knows of a ride report detailing this area, please post a link.

Thanks.
    larryboy likes this.
  10. puddles

puddles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Rob... we're heading out now -lazy rainy morning... John says were heading in on the north pass via bakersfield to hopefully avoid any weather... maybe we'll try steel pass on our way out... happy thanksgiving and best to Becky.
    cary and john
    SFMCjohn and larryboy like this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

It's just N Eureka Valley Road, the one that goes north from DV-BP Road, has had the closed sign for years.

No grader work has been done going to Steele Pass. I was probably going slower on the 1150 than you on the 500 and following the flagging was easier than if I'd been moving faster.

I was on pavement after Dyer, thought about Lucky Boy Pass when I went through Hawthorne, but I could see snow up there.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Cool, have fun!! Happy Turkey Day!!! Take 155 from Delano, much more better than 178 from Bakersfield.
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  13. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, done before I started, but thanks for the cool trip and FOOD pics!
    I can never pass up an LB thread.:clap
    larryboy likes this.
  14. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    You are too modest. One of these days I will ride with you but I'm not sure I could keep up with you on my 500 in the dirt. It is amazing how well you ride that 1150 off road.

For any of you beginner riders on KLR650 or similar bikes reading Larryboy's posts where he says it was easy for him, remember he is a rider with advanced skills.

His ride reports have always inspired me to follow where he has gone, but I do it on smaller and lighter bikes. To take an Adventure Bike where he goes is just amazing.

Thanks Rob, for leading the way.
    larryboy likes this.
  15. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob,

We got lucky with the weather and took a chance on Carson Pass/Rt 88 ... had a nice ride, but cold ... will be looking at the map to see about avoiding the passes on 395 tomorrow ...

Will be taking 155 on the way home to complete the big loop ... :ricky

See you around the campfire!
    -- John A
    larryboy likes this.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Hiya Bob, good to see ya!!

I'm seriously not riding the big bike very fast, 15 mph or so on the road into the springs, XRR or 610 would be 60-70 mph, KLR 30 mph, Buell 5 mph.

I bet you don't feel so lucky right now. :vardy

Good luck!!

I've been shopping for heated gear, I might be getting soft.
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  17. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :deal

FIX'D

:D

:zilla
    larryboy likes this.
  18. dirty adventurer

dirty adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day trippin…That sounds about right.

As others have said, I don’t know how your rode that 1150 through South Pass in its current condition, in the dark, let alone in a wind storm that was blowing so hard my tent was practically flattened. With all of the background wind noise, I didn’t even hear your bike roll into camp that night. You were only a few spots from me.
    larryboy likes this.
  19. dirty adventurer

dirty adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next morning the elusive Sasquatch was spotted….I even got a picture of him in his native habitat.
    What a Beast! :huh

[​IMG]

Yeah, I have definitely "gone desert". Death Valley has become a sickness for me. Your ride reports further corrupted me. I have learned to not only ride and explore Death Valley, but to immerse myself in the Death Valley experience. :freaky

You first asked me if I had anything to eat. I said that I brought Mountain House Lasagna that I had planned to chow down.

After seeing those two birds laid out like that…..Hmmmm Let me think for a minute…..Larryboy’s famous fried bird or Mountain House?

Next thing I know I am having the hen, with hot biscuits, and a Fat Tire to help it down. Believe me, It was a feast that tastes even better than it looks.

Great company and conversation topped it off. :beer

I was once again blown away but another unforgettable experience in Saline Valley. Thanks Rob!!!

I can’t wait to get back……

Oh, buy the way….Happy Thanksgiving! I’m jealous of those in Death Valley right now!
  20. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    :tb

That is all.
    larryboy likes this.