Mikuni TM-2s work on 4 stroke bmw ?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by JamesOn2Wheels, Jul 23, 2011.

1. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Was thinking of putting vm 34 or 36 on r100rt....not after high speed power only low speed response and better mileage.......................then I started thinking about the flat sides...with accel pump are too expensive, but didn't I read somewhere that a properly setup TM-2 will work also, maybe better ?
    Anyone have experience with this ?

Zig
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I guess the "2" is about the needle jet in the same carb? Most every Mikuni I have dealt with had needle jets that Sudco said was for two strokes.
  3. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The beauty of Mikunis is that all the internal parts are replaceable with others, including the kind that that will meter properly for a four-stroke. :evil

With the right NJ combination and slide cutaway, it's do-able. Not necessarily easy, but do-able. :D
  4. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    that I read on the difference is pulse cycle i.e. the 2 stroke sucks every cycle, the Otto motor every other...not sure how that affects the mixture, or lack of accel pump...well the CV's don't have accel pump...

the "2" I believe is the symbol for the 2 stroke type

Supershaft I thought you'd have the answer, dang. Seen you in on a lot of carb issues.

Zig
  5. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    which parts would I have to change out if needed ... maybe just jets ?

Zig
  6. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I don't have Mikuni's down like I do Bings and Dell's. Even on Dells I have not tried the different type needle jet. A really good friend of mine has dyno jetted a lot of Mikuni's on airheads. I'll ask him what he remembers but it was a while ago. Now he makes radio controlled scale motorcycles.

I meant that every Mikuni I have seen on airheads had two stroke needle jets.
  7. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Just hoping to have confirmation from them thats done....
    And they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the 4stroke version which are about $100 more EACH.

As I've read, the flat type have a lot more power or low/mid affect than the VM's which is what I'm after - I've an 83 R100RT with R65 32/9 rear (trying to get the notorious high first geared BMW to handle at walking speed in sand) - planning also at least the lower 5% 1st gear, if I can't find the 15% lower 2 gear set. Hoping that Mikunis will be responsive, even imagining that they'll give this pig a little "crack" on the throttle.

Hard to type listening to those idiots on Cartalk in the background... :-)

Zig
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are going to have the shittiest gas mileage in the history of all airheads. 32:9 rear end with a 1000cc engine is going to get you sub-Goldwing mileage.
  9. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    I just ran Deming to Casa Grande Colorado, and back thru Zuniland and averaged almost 44....of course i only run 55 mph....bike now has Mac 2 into 1 attached since ride

Zig

Attached Files:

10. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Did I meet you at the ADV rally in Death Valley about eight years ago?
  11. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    I was living in Austria....I haven't been to rally one either here or Horizons Unlimited, altho I darn well should

I AM FROM BERKELEY tho', should be kinda near you

now live again in NEw MeXiCO about 30 miles from Mexican border

Zig:freaky...wish i was a Pirate
  12. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Going with the TM34's from pwersport superstore 137 each

need to come up with cable and adaptors to head

Zig
  13. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    The thing that I don't like about TM's are the independent floats. They are very troublesome just like Bing's independent floats. Same design, different carbs, same problems. The last time I was in Death Valley there was about six GS's there with TM's. Every one of their carbs were caked with moist dust for the carbs constantly overflowing. It's a miracle they run as good as they do!

I think rubber pipe reducers work best for the airbox snorkels but mind the details or you will be sucking a lot of dirt.
  14. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    as I don't have any experience I yield to authority :1drink

Zig
  15. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    If you are not real good at tuning and jetting carbs, I would stick with the Bings.
  16. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    SU's, Strombergs, etc done almost all of em
  17. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Some say that they can get those independent floats working properly. I haven't had the time to figure it out. IMO, the best fix would be to have the old style floats that worked perfectly but I don't know if you can get them for the TM's. It would take new float bowls as well of course.
  18. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll opt for 36VM...at least I've dealt with these cards before and like 'em well enough

if they work out I'll sell my 40mm Bings I guess

Zig
  19. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I would do unless I could find a sure fix for those independent floats. I haven't looked into it that closely.
  20. JamesOn2Wheels

JamesOn2Wheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Just ordered them from performance superstore, they were 97 each, free shipping

I'll have to research jets for 'em, to get an idea what I'll have to have on hand to dial them in, and the connectors I guess shouldn't be too hard - like you said 'shaft, plumbing connectors maybe - I did tho' email off to San Jose BMW to ask if their screw in adaptors would work but Christ they're $50 smackers for the pair !

I've got a few auto parts stores close by here in beautiful Deming (where it is raining !!! YAY!!!!)...should be able to fix it up.

I guess the stock cables work for these Mikuni's too

Here's me just arrived at Gila Hot Springs for a soak and a camp, about two weeks....ago.....think I'll go again next week, it is 2 1/2 easy hours away..........mmmm...naked hippie chicks.....NOT....

Zig

Attached Files: