The MotionX on the iPhone Thread

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by basketcase, Nov 12, 2011.

1. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The standard GPS maps that my I phone 4s came with has got me out of pretty crazy areas .. and the new split screen and actual pic of the lanes is awsome and mine seems to be accurate within 50 ft ..

it does everything my nuvi 2555 does . I ride a KLR and keep it mounted on a bicycle mount on my bars in a lifeproof case with no issues as of yet .
  2. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    get out of cell coverage and get back to me, there are no "installed" maps on the Iphone, you need a data connection
  3. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:

yes
  4. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I realize that he was talking about the standard base map app, and true, it has no installed maps, but one can install an app like Navigon and get true offline mapping with turn by turn, etc....just saying...so folks realize that no data connection is needed.
  5. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    IIRC,
    MotionX GPS Drive = yes
    MotionX GPS = yes

I found the functionality of GPS Drive to be just as good as the older Nuvi unitrs.
  6. Superfish

Superfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read this thread and any others that I could find but:

My normal mode of operation is to plot my trip on mapsource and then transfer it to my Garmin 2610. I stay on pavement so this has taken me around the country for thousands of miles. Now I find that I can mount my iPad with a RAM mount (seems solid and more vertical so the sun won't be such a problem) and have all the benefits of larger screen and up to date maps. I live in Vermont so I won't really find out if this works until some time in April.

I've tried MotionX drive and like it. But I can't find a way to plot my route and then port it to the iPad. It seems that this only works for MotionX GPS and that doesn't seem to be good for road travel, I didn't buy it.

It's not clear that Navigon can do this either and I like to find out before I spend $50+.

So, any suggestions?? I can export gpx files from MapSource.
  7. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:

You are correct, GPX importing only works for MotionX GPS, not Drive. I think the apple device need to be jailbroken in order to get converted GPX files into Navigon.
  8. Superfish

Oddometer:
    My iPad is jail broken, I'll look on those forums also.

I'll be grateful for any other ideas.
  9. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was it about MotionX GPS that didn't seem good for road travel? I don't get turn-by-turn but I visually follow the track
    I created, seems to work OK on te moto - checking the screen becomes more important than road signs.

Granted if I was taking all main roads (ala the cage) Drive is better suited.
  10. nicola_a

nicola_a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,

MotionX is awesome on the bike in Australia (where I'm based) - my cellphone plan has lots of data included so I never need to worry about that stuff.
    I'm wondering, what happens with map downloads when I go overseas. I was thinking of getting a TravelSIM which comes with 1GB of 'data'. I'm a bit of a tech idiot with these things --- does using Motion-X GPS use up a lot of data on the phone? Or will I need to download/cache maps for offline use?

Cheers
    Nicola
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The amount of data will depend on how far/wide you intend to travel. I would still recommend using wifi whenever possible to cache maps. It's faster, for one.
  12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
    And if you have downloaded maps you no longer need, clear them to help with speed.
  13. Superfish

Oddometer:
    I have voice turn by turn on the Garmin 2610 and I want it on any thing that I switch to. If I'm going on a trip of a few days or a couple weeks I like to plot (at home) each day as a separate route. Doing that in a tent on an iPad doesn't have much appeal. Since I ride a Honda V-65 Magna I'm pretty much confined to hard surfaces.
  14. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    When I have used my MotionX app, it seems to follow the track until it gets to the edge of the screen and then my triangle cursor drives right off the map. I have to advance the position of the map myself to bring the cursor back into view.

Is there a way to set the app to automatically follow you while you are moving?
  15. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    MotionX Drive or GPS?

I believe this is the "normal" behaviour on MotionX Drive if you're routing and not subscribing to the maps.
  16. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:

MotionX GPS. I just don't want to reach up to my screen every mile or so to move it back to where my cursor has moved to...
  17. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just had a quick look of the manual and cannot see even a way of toggling this behaviour off. Have you tried restoring to factory settings under Menu -> Setup -> Restore Factory Settings? Might be worth a shot...
  18. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try hitting the arrow (changes orientation) that's by the zoom levels.
  19. mdsnitc

mdsnitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As indicated in the manual, click through on the arrow in map mode to the "position remains centered on the map" mode indigated by a cyan arrow.

[​IMG]
  20. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    New to this App... This thing is cool... I like jumping the fast way to get to the Google satellite .