Someday is here!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by calimusjohn, Feb 2, 2014.

1. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :freaky
  2. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am definitely in. I look forward to your updates and your adventure to follow. Good luck on your travels. :thumb
  3. T3Mike

T3Mike Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go get em... I am in.
  4. calimusjohn

calimusjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am always asked about what I carry. You would not believe all the stuff I have taken off my previous "Essentials" lists. From living on a boat for three years and some long ago bicycle touring, I've found that a printed list of: "What's Where" - saves a lot of frustration. So here goes: :y0!
    FRONT BAG w/ "SPOT" on top
    Front Pocket
    Disc Brake Lock
    Knife
    Flashlight
    Top Pocket
    Tyvek Gloves
    AA & AAA Batterys
    Main Pocket
    2 Inner Tubes w/ Patch Kit
    Ratchet Tie Down
    3 long Bubgee Cords

SADDLE BAG "A"
    Top Pocket
    T.P.
    Vet Wrap
    Side Pocket
    Lonely Planet Guide Book
    Neck Warmer
    Main Pocket
    3 T-shirts
    3 shorts (Hanes Boxer Briefs=no seams to sit on!)
    3 socks
    Swim suit Note: All in plastic baggies with air squished out.
    SADDLE BAG "B"
    Top Pocket
    T.P.
    Vet Wrap
    Side Pocket
    AAA Mexican Guide Book
    Main Pocket
    Mosquito Jungle Hat
    Warm up Pants
    Cargo Shorts
    Shoes
    MEDICATIONS - LOTS!
    Dop Kit
    TOOL BOX w/ Padlock
    New O-Ring Chain w/Master-Link, Chain Press
    Spare Eye Glasses, Steri-Pen
    2- Screwdrivers, Small Vice Grips, Large Vice Grips
    8" Adjustable Wrench, Logbook, 2 Pens/Pencils
    ACER Computer w/pwr cord, Nook w/pwr cord
    Cell Phone w/pwr cord - no Mexican Coverage
    Tire Irons, Tire Pump and Gauge
    Cup, Fork, Knife, Spoon, :dg Harmonica :robin
    Light Socket, 6' Extention Cord
    Head Lanp, Batterys, Crank Flashlight
    Whistle, Ear Plugs, Butane, Lighter, Harmonica
    Electrical Tape, Duct Tape, Tie Wraps, J.B. Weld, Para-cord
    Ear plugs, Bug Spray -Deet
    ADV Flag, Peanut Butter, Energy Bars, Wiffle Balls, Girl's Hair Bands
    Registration, U.S. Insurance card, Mexican Insurance, T.V.I.P.
    2 Spark plugs, open/box ends- 7/16, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm
    Socket Wrench, Extention, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18mm
    TANK BAG
    Hot or Cold Wx Gloves
    Paper Maps, Notebook, Pens,
    Camera, Drink Bottle
    Spanish Phrase Card, Microfiber towels, Candy/Gum
    Multi-Purpose Tool, *Small "Wiffle" Ball*
    *When I stop at Military Check Points - I'm usually waved through - I break out a Small "Wiffle Ball" (Hollow Plastic ball with slots in it that slow its progress.). I toss it up and invariably, I miss catching it. Guess what? A game starts. Yeah, I donate the ball when I leave to cries of, "Wheelie ! ! !" Those very young Soldiers are about bored to death. They spend an average of three months at a rural checkpoint location before moving to another one. I ask a lot of questions. My Spanglish is pretty awful, but almost always there are a couple of Soldiers that speak English.
    On the seat are strapped my sleeping bag, air mattress a small tent and Bike Cover. Chain lube is in tube. Chain cleaning brush is bungeed to frame under left pannier. 10' of Safety wire is wrapped on the frame. The entire pile weighs 44 pounds. Undoubtedly I have forgotten something. Wal-Marts are in every large town in Mexico. Money is in several locations - Vet wrap makes an in-expensive money belt for arms or legs.
  5. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good for you! I took my WeeStrom to AK last year and plan on doing the CO and NM portions of the CDR this year after I get old enough to do it (70 this month.) I subscribe to the minimalist view; my list is even more sparse than yours but travel in MX is different than travel in CD/AK. Watch out for banditos! (The kids at the check points also like to get their picture taken sitting on the bike with their rifles!)
  6. Flyinb

Flyinb Oldtime MXer

Oddometer:
    Go John...We will be looking forward to your reports here in Oregon Buddy.
  7. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I hope when I'm 75 (if I make it that far :D) I'm still able to ride.
    Ride on, looking forward to your future updates. :clap
  8. theofam

theofam Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 45, I'm raising kids and strapped (other than 1-2 weeks per year) to the house - outside of which it's snowing right now. Dang right I'm in!

Thanks for getting me planning what I'll be doing in 30 years! By then, maybe you'll be ready to sell me the TW!!
  9. twflybum

twflybum Prodigal Biker

Oddometer:
    The TW caught my eye a couple of years ago.. been wondering if it is all one would really need. :hmmmmm

I'll be tagging along with great interest. :lurk
  10. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    In! Love my TW but will be heading the same direction as you on a larger bike next month. How long do you think you will be on the road? We may cross paths. John Downs is a great read too. His RR is one of the best.
  11. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    Manuelsv - Thanks for the offer of info. Will be contacting later.
    Potski - Welcome to the near future ride.
    GR8GRINS - Brad. Just keep shoveling to the south.
    Marine by Choice - 67, Keith, Send R.R.'s.
    Shag - w/2013 TW200. Quit Posting. Get ridin'.
    mjs3800 - Welcome aboard. It should be a fun ride.
    McRoss - My Weestrom took a dirt nap outside Coldfoot, AK. Great bike anyway.
    FlyinB - Dammit Bruce, Get a Passport and get down here.
    Redog1 - 75 will seem like two weeks away when you get here.
    Theofam - 45 & raising a family. Raising kids is UNDER Rated. Do the best job you can. We really need some leaders in this next generation. Ones with brains!
    TWFLYBUM - I challenge you to find someone that bad mouths the TW. I haven't been able too.
    Madeoutaglass - I'll be on the road until I return. . . O.K. 6 - 8 weeks or months (?) Are you riding the Ural down?
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks like it will be fun and full of adventure.
  13. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another septuagenarian checking in for the long haul. And here I sit with the
    siren song from the little XT225 sitting, gathering spider webs in the shed.

Ride on..........
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Godspeed, John. You're gonna have a blast! Mrs. Trip and I just got back from this trip: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zc-YDKwkLCg0.kbwf9WV4nUug on our TW200's about a week ago. Unfortunately, we had to cut our trip short at La Paz, and head straight back.
    Ignore the naysayers, the TW200's are awesome bikes for Mexico...long as you're not in a hurry!

[​IMG]

PS: The Ruta Rio Sonora is a beautiful ride south from the border...you can pick it up in Cananea. We did our first day down to Banamichi and stayed at the Hotel Los Arcos. Its owned by an inmate and a TW owner...make him go for a ride! Highly recommended: although a little higher than your standard Mexican fare, its well worth it! http://www.losarcossonora.com/ We stayed there for 3 nites...2 going, one coming back!
  15. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    Ahoy Admiral. :bow I hope to see you at the Elk City, Idaho TW200 gathering on 19-20 July or when ever it ends up being.
    PRSDRAT - That xt225 needs a dusting - in the wind - Black Canyon north of Ramona is calling.
    RHODE trip - You certainly had a great circle route. I have been fortunate enough to run up and down the Baja Peninsula several times, but have only gotten as far as Guaymas on the mainland. I hope to hit Banamichi later this year on a run towards Copper Canyon. I am heading directly for San Carlos to check on my boat this trip. Anyone interested in a 1971, 36' Gulfstar motorsailer? Boy Howdy! Have I got a deal for you ! ! !
    As an aside: I bought my 2005 TW200 with 400 miles on it last year. I've since put 950 more miles on it. I have virtually no doubts about its abilities. I am the limiting factor.
    Tomorrow - the fun begins. Anxious to go John :happay
  16. St_rydr

St_rydr #livelikerob

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about your rag hauler..:ear
  17. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    ST rydr P.M. Sent............. John
  18. calimusjohn

Oddometer:
    Up before dawn and rearin' to ride. 39 degrees outside the hangar. I'm not as rarin'. Put on the cold weather overpants, slide a neck warmer over the knob on top, do the sideways dance to crawl atop the bike and start the ride.
    There is not a lot of choice in picking roads from Salome, AZ to Nogales. It is 80%, 4 lane - go like hell - traffic with the speed limit pegged at 75. On every other bike I own, 75 is a breeze. On the TW200 - well 75 kilometers would be more to its liking. I buzzed along at 55 - 60 mph with the RPM hovering around the 6500 mark. I watched the mirrors and only had to swerve onto the berm once to avoid any kind of altercation.
    The sky stayed overcast and Virga (Rain that doesn't reach the ground) could be seen several times throughout the day. The temperature never climbed above 55 degrees.
    Days statistics: Lunch $11.90
    Dinner $ 7.05
    Gas $ 7.75
    Motel $38.50
    Total $65.20
    MPG = 76.1
    I am spending the night at the ubiquitous Motel 6 in Nogales, Arizona. Why? Because I like to cross the border in the morning. The Arizona side of the twin cities has a population of 21,000 folks.
    The Mexican Nogales has a population of 221,000. The main highway through downtown traverses 5 miles of urbanity. That's 5 miles of true Adventure riding. Much of the route feels like very narrow streets, because where there are in reality, two wide lanes, the buses, trucks, taxi's and occasional carts, cars, mopeds and us transit an imaginary four lane road. Just relax, inhale the diesel exhaust laden air, go with the flow and eventually dribble out the south side of the city on a four lane divided highway leading to the entry point where Migration, Aduana and Bank are located. OR take the truck route (Clearly marked leading into Nogales, AZ) and miss 90% of the City and come out onto the main highway just before the Entry Station.
    It is a great place to make an entry. If this is your first Mexican entry, again relax. Signs in English lead you from one step to the next. All you need to know is : Start at Migration. The office closest to the parking lot. This is where you apply to get your Visitor's card good for 180 days. Fill out the application, hand it to the Official and s/he wil tell you what to do and where to do it next. Most everyone speaks English. You can even purchase your Mexican Motorcycle Insurance on-site. Truly one stop shopping. On previous visits, the entire process has never taken more than one hour. That included the time to eat an ice cream cone purchased at the on-site Tienda.
    .If you really want to speed up the process, follow the advice of TRICEPILOT. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546927 Or look on ADVrider.com.. Look under the Thread - Trip Planning - Americas - Traveling in Mexico. Page one, under lead in by ARTE. He has links to getting Insurance and a T.V.I.P. prior to leaving home. He even explains what a T.V.I.P. is! (It is a vehicle pass.)
    With the paperwork finished and a pocket full of Pesos, it is time to ride into the Mexico that the Old Hands rave about. Well, kind of. The first miles are not terribly exciting. After all, it is a four lane divided highway. Construction and re-paving will occasionally find a way to get everyone on one side or the other of the divider and create short lived congestion. Yes, there are a couple of toll booths to go through also. They are well marked and the attendant will give you a receipt showing the fare.
    Sorry about the font color changes. Brain fade..

Very poor Wi-Fi here. Hope for better tomorrow with pictures. John
  19. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good start to an epic adventure forthcoming. Keep us posted and we will all be looking forward to the continued ride report and photos. :clap
  20. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Remember, pics and more pics! :clap