CHP forced to remove lane-splitting guidelines...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by vaara, Jul 21, 2014.

1. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just because some random pinhead got a hair up his ass over proper administrative procedure or some such ridiculous BS.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...e_lane-splitting_guidelines_from_website.aspx

This doesn't change anything re: the legal status of lane-splitting in California, but it does make it more difficult for riders (and cagers) to locate that information.
  2. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    Middle-management government bureaucrat makes the world a worse place. yay.
  3. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the thing -- he's not even a government bureaucrat, he's a FORMER government bureaucrat who now sells seminars advising people how to get state jobs with cushy pensions.

All it took was one bike-hating busybody to undo years of hard work and cooperation between the motorcycle community and the CHP.
  4. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    what a jack crap a-hole

and he probably did it just so he can somehow twist it into something to put on a resume, or use to nab potential clients

"...i was also effective in helping to overturn an underground regulation which set a dangerous precedent against California motorists putting them and their families in harms way while giving a select few special treatment on the road, and fully sanctioned by the California Highway Patrol. because of my acute knowledge of the inner workings of government i was able to spot this dangerous loophole and have it closed for good"

blah blah blah jackhole!
  5. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    This is classic wadded panties thread and I'd have thought most of you would be in favour of the man from Sacramento.

Backdoor, or underground, legislation isn't something you really want to encourage.

I'm in favour of filtering, but I'm against backdoor legislation, even when the intent is good. And before you get all angsty :evil just remember what the road to hell is paved with.
  6. Mike Vaughan

Mike Vaughan Jagermeister

Oddometer:
    Weasel,

What are you saying? What is the good intent? From your bicycle thread posts, I'm not really sure what is it you are trying to get across?
  7. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    The good intent was the posting of guidelines meant to help bikers filter safely and, I'd hope, to educate cagers.

As for what I'm trying to get across - folks shouldn't be upset about the actions of this guy.....he is, in fact, doing you all a favour and I'm sure when you think of the larger picture, and the implications of taking no action, you'll agree.

And what do my bicycle thread posts have to do with this?
  8. Mike Vaughan

Oddometer:
    What is the larger picture exactly?

Your bicycle threads have the same tone you expressed above, where you seem to be dancing around the discussion.
  9. dazeedmonds

dazeedmonds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why don't I use the ignore button?

Catweasel's brother in this story did not remove backdoor legislation. All he did was get public safety information removed. Lane splitting is still not illegal, riders just don't have the same easy access to good advice regarding the process.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I don't really think that I dance so much as I don't feel any real need to always state the obvious or google-able.
  11. Mike Vaughan

Oddometer:
    [QUOTH THE POSTER] As for what I'm trying to get across - folks shouldn't be upset about the actions of this guy.....he is, in fact, doing you all a favour and I'm sure when you think of the larger picture, and the implications of taking no action, you'll agree.[/UNQUOTH]

So basically you've said absolutely nothing.
  12. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you believe that information for the public that was posted describing the LEGAL process of lane splitting/filtering California being removed is a good thing and a public service?

Where is the ignore button again, you never seem to add anything of value to a conversation, and seem to take great pride and pleasure in making snide comments about the US at every possible opportunity in every thread you can fit it into. You don't like it here, great stay away, and stay out of our issues.
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Maybe you need to a find a US only forum eh? That way you'd not get your knickers in a twist so often.
  14. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way to ignore the entire issue regarding the fact that you think that removing public education information regarding a legal activity designed to promote safety is a good thing.....

And BTW I have no issue with the international nature of this forum, 99% of the time I think it is a wonderful thing and I thoroughly enjoy the perspective that is brought to the conversation by it. You however are normally the 1% that I take issue with in your habit of taking every opportunity to make a snide comment about issues here in the US which add nothing to the conversation.
  15. Mike Vaughan

Oddometer:
    The topic was California lane splitting. And you are trying to be Ms. Cryptic and it's not adding to this thread.

So answer my previous question, at least one of them and say it in terms even Californians can understand. Because your stock answer has been "Google it" which means you don't have one of your own. Please.

Thanks,

Mike
  16. dazeedmonds

dazeedmonds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ignore.
  17. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    As far as I'm aware the only question, posed by you, that I didn't answer, was what I considered to be the larger picture.

If you're disappointed by either your inability to see the picture, large or small, or by my refusal to lead you by the hand to it, well, as they say, you'd best get used to it. Or learn to think for yourself. Or come to Vienna and we can argue the point over beer.
  18. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Help us out here, what is the larger picture as you see it.

The way I am seeing this is that the CHP had posted information regarding the legal practice of lane splitting. This was intended as a public education resource, to aid motorcyclists and motorists in understanding the safe and legal practice of lane splitting. One ex-bureaucrat decided that he did not like lane splitting and fought with the state until they gave up and had the information removed, thus reducing public safety.
  19. Mike Vaughan

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

*sigh* you guys sure think small at times, if at all....

If you'd done some digging, you'd have realised that the guy's problem wasn't with information about lane-splitting at all. It was about so called "underground regulation" - which is illegal.

The bigger picture is that if no one objects, or highlights, or complains about backdoor/underground regulation/legislation is that we (the voters) get no say in its creation, most often to our detriment.

So yeah, taking down the guidelines about splitting sucks, but, assuming the ruling about underground regulation was correct, they were posted incorrectly. I'd expect to see the back in the not too distant future, albeit in a different format - maybe as an advisory or via the AMA for example.