Damn unreliable BMWs

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Peka, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know, mine is still a baby.:bow Plenty of others with heaps more km on them, like yours - I was expecting you to post in here and put me to shame :1drink

Switches - my rhs switchgear was playing up, I gave it a good clean out with CO cleaner and now the indicator cancel switch works when I just think about hitting it.

VFR1000 cables - throttle, choke or clutch? Or all of them? *edit - now that I read it again, I see it's the speedo cable :doh

Brake pads - I suspect you've gone through more than a few :wink: I just got another set to replace the ones I bought in Feb :huh Bendix last longer but the BMW ones work much better.

Gearbox - as far as I know, mine didn't tow anything and still needed gearbox work, but hopefully the rebuilt one will last.

How do you decarbon the pistons?

It's funny, I see people in GSpot posting about great deals they got on 1100's with really low miles on them (<20,000) - I'd rather buy one that's been ridden, at least you know it hasn't been sitting around doing nothing for months/years at a time.
  2. Pejie

Pejie old rider

Oddometer:
    CGS you really gotta answer this question. There was some guy from USA on the GS forum talking about getting 30,000 miles form tyres & i really want to know how you get such huge mileage from tyres!!!!. I've tried riding really really slow to the point pretty much no one will ride with me any more & still get CRAP mileage compared to this

Hi Howard
  3. The Phantom

The Phantom Bike who parks...

Oddometer:
    And what's wrong with bikes sitting around doing nothing for months/years at a time???
  4. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yours doesn't sit around doing nothing. It's sits around being fiddled with but never actually finished :lol3
  5. jpooch00

jpooch00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hide
  6. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Recently back from the Border Run. Bike (1100GS) had 130000Km on the clock before departure, and we did about 7000Km. Didn`t miss a beat or use a drop of oil the entire trip, giving around 18 Km/L if ridden not far north of 4000 RPM.

Mind you; it`s cost me a lot of money to get into that condition, but I wouldn`t swap it for anything else.
  7. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I de-carbon the heads and pistons every 120,000 odd Km's by removing the head and barrell, as by that time the seal between the block and the barrell starts to leak, I still use the original head gasket....as it has not leaked yet.
    You are correct about buying a bike that has been ridden as you read on the US ADV site that they have so many small issues with low milage bikes and hardly if any issues with bikes that are ridden every day.
    I just bought a 2000 R1100 RT and I have done more K's on it in the last two months 5000 km than in the last two years that the previous owner did,I hope that it last as long as the GS,
    I rode the GS for the first time in two months today...what a great feeling to get back on such a well handling and nimble bike,( I missed her) bit colder to ride in the winter though.....
  8. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    KTM 950:

[​IMG]

with piston looking like this:
    [​IMG]

stick that up your bmw pipe :D
  9. southroads

southroads old and tired

Oddometer:
    My old k100 (ex cop bike) just clicked over 170 k on the way to the Thor last weekend, Knocks like crazy when cold, no smoke yet:huh,

[​IMG]
  10. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Dose'nt it come down to what kind of riding you do e.g mainly dirt blasting or 90k's /hr on tar .
    This should come into it surely.

if i was buying a 1200 gs with 60 000 k's on the clock i'd like to know what kind of rider the owner is.
  11. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

My Xchallenge; now that`s another matter. Damn thing has left me stranded on the side of the Logan Motorway with wires adrift inside the ignition switch once before, and the bugger tried to do it to me again this arvo, with a very long walk home if I hadn`t figured out what was wrong.