The 990 ADV Experience

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by therivermonster, Aug 30, 2013.

1. therivermonster

therivermonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all!

My current bike is a DR 650, but the time for a new bike is nearing. I have had a blast on the DR for a number of years now. It's been a great bike. Reliable, enough power to get the job done with me and a camping load, and it's easy to work on.

I have been doing a lot of research in an effort to pick the best new bike for me. I want something that is going to be better than the DR two up, on the highway, and really I want something that is more exciting to ride. I would like to be able to pull the front wheel up without so much effort, and have plenty of power in reserve in all situations.

My goal in this thread is to hear the experiences of those of you that have come from the DR, or similar moto compared to your 990 Adventure. What are the pros and cons of the 990 compared to the DR or similar? What are the night and day comparisons? Does the 990 have hands down more power? Does the 990 'feel' much heavier? How does the 990 compare on the FS roads, trails, etc? Really, I'm hoping that the 990 is way more fun to ride. Is it?

I know that this topic has come up a fair amount, but hopefully some of you can chime in with experience coming from the Suzuki DR 650 or similar type of moto.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe you all can convenience me that the koolaid taste as good as it looks.
    :evil
    <script src="resource://fpi/injected_script.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
  2. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will not regret it! I still have my plated xrr but it doesn't get ridden much now that I have a 990... it is a heavy bike but I don't notice it unless I'm picking it up off of the ground. It feels like a dirt bike on FS roads but can be scary when you look down and realize your doing 80 mph and it only feels like 50! I also had a DRZ 400 which was a fun trail bike but sucked on long slab runs.. the 990 is a do it all bike for me, I ride it places most wouldn't. Its not that I'm that good of a rider but it will go anywhere I point it. I love running into guys on single track riding 250's and being asked how the hell I got that thing out here? Same way you did, rode it! The wife loves riding 2up on the 990 more then any other bike I've had. The 990 is by far the best and most fun bike I have had.... hope this helps..
  3. therivermonster

therivermonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, rockrider. It sounds like you ride the snot out of your 990. Good on ya!

Any more experiences would be grrrreat!

<script src="resource://fpi/injected_script.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
  4. boulder

boulder jersey boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too had A DR650 and will never regret owning it was a great bike .[​IMG]
    I am now the proud owner of a 2010 990R and can confirm you will not regret the upgrade!!:clap[​IMG]
    You can load them up like a Camel and they will take you anywhere.:wink::clap
  5. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked my DR 650. However it did fall short in some areas when compared to other bikes. The DR is a $6000 bike. Your not going to get a great stock suspension and great brakes when spending that kind of money. It is such a reliable bike,, that's what I think makes it such a great machine.

The KTM is a fantastic bike,, But I personally think it's achilles heel is long jaunts on asphalt. I find it pretty uncomfortable after about 100 miles or so of pavement. I just completed a trip where I split up the stretches of paved roads with long runs of dirt sections. That made the 350 mile day much more enjoyable. The Dakar body style will cause some buffeting to the rider at hi-way speeds when seated.
    Where the bike shines, is when the pavement ends. The 990 just eats up miles of dirt roads with little fatigue to the rider. It responds to rider input easily. Stand on the pegs use some body english, a little throttle control and some controlled braking the bike moves over the terrain effortlessly.

If you buy the KTM you would not be disappointed. It really is that good if you plan on riding 50/50 adventure stuff. There are better motorcycle choices if your trips are more pavement orientated though for about the same amount of money.

Don't expect the fuel economy of the DR, Mine got around 65 MPG. The 990 is a consistent 40-45 MPG.

If you can swing it, keep the DR and add the 990 to the fleet.

Good luck with your decision.

WJR
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Had a DR650 that was a reliable machine, and the 7 minute oil changes will be missed. Tried to make it a two up machine with a Rick Mayer double saddle, cogent shock, cartridge emulators, happy trail panniers, scotts stabilizer etc.

Loaded down and two up, the brakes and power took a big hit, and the bike wasn't long enough to make it comfortable for two.

The 950 has been a good choice for two up. Does everything better than the DR. The KTM brakes are good but not great.

I like the idea of a single cylinder, but just didn't work for the amount of humanity I was trying to transport.

Tried a similar run on a BMW Dakar. Ohlins shock ,fork emulators, seat etc. Better than the DR for two up, but still came up short for me.

Content with the KTM for now.
  7. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a farkled 97 DR650, and then what you're sying happened, needed something else.

Tried a 950 and the upcomming weeks were intense in bike search. So intense i got a 950 and a 990. One for the trails, one for the road.

You wont regret it!!

brands aside, etc... by far the best bike i've owned/ride
  8. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    990 is a blast on the road paved or not and the 530 will go anywhere.
  9. Vlakhaas

Vlakhaas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are many things wrong with a 990. It is not as comfy as a GS, weather protection sucks, they have several but fixable mechanical issues, even a oil change is a big job, not tubeless, vibrates on pavement, no heated grips, heavy on fuel, fickle, average range, average brakes, pathetic headlight, needs a fork spring upgrade and the list goes on. This is not a bike for everyone.

You will not give a shit about any of this once you unpaved roads.

The awesomeness, power and capability of the 990 cannot be described, it needs to be experienced. You will run out of talent loooong before that orange monster hits it's limit. The growl of that V-twin and the WP suspension makes you want to fly.

Looking for something more exciting? This bike awakens a part of you that you didn't know was there. Take one on a fast gravel road. It becomes more than a bike, it comes alive. Raw and brutal.
  10. gtdsrider

gtdsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That might be the best summary of why I love my 990 Adventure that I have ever seen. I agree with all of the "issues" that are described and might add a few more but they all disappear when I get on the bike and start that mighty twin.I rode mine 5000 miles in the last thirty days included:
    -crusing the interstates fully loaded in the left lane behind a "front door" at speeds that makes most states dissappear quickly (not Kansas)
    -sparing with a new Dodge SR8 Cuda in the fantastic twisty roads in the Ozarks and riding up his tailpipe in the turns or climbing the big hills
    -crusing down the long gravel roads in the high plateaus of Colorado at warp speed and after about 30 miles getting a nice long rest at the next turn waiting for the 250's and 450's to catch up
    -riding all of the high mountain passes around Silverton, including Black Bear, with the little bikes(530's, 690's)
    -carrying speed up the high mountain passes when you could see around the switchback turns and when you reach the top realizing that the jeep and 4 wheeler crowd is staring at your bike because they have never seen something that big coming up the trail that fast making that unbelieveable hooligan sound!
    -riding two up with your wife on a 1000 mile + street bike ride touring the mining towns with all of your gear, in all kinds of weather, climbing all of the high passes in relative comfort.
    I will be at the upcoming KTM National Rally and look forward to riding the new 1190 R.I am sure it will be a great machine and have many improvements but it will be very difficult for KTM to replicate the spirit that lives in the current big twin.
  11. NHKTM990

NHKTM990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Just Got Orange Wood! Great Description.
  12. NHKTM990

NHKTM990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Had A Dr650 For 8 Years. Loved Every Mile And could Make It Do Anything I Wanted It To Do. I Too Wanted More. The 990R I EndEd Up Wit Was A Last Minute Look While Seriously Looking At A Super T. If You Go Team Orange, You Will Never Regret It!
  13. injun

injun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No regrets, been a fooking trip don't want to give up ever!:clap:clap:clap
  14. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had 2 DR650's and a DRZ400, now a 990. The bikes are so different level, owning both wouldn't be redundant in my opinion.
    My 990 is absolutely amazing, only issue is the EFI. She's not twitchy, just has a flat spot at 5500 rpm. I'll get sorted eventually. I would love to have a third DR again though as a stable mate to the orange beast.
  15. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a plated xrr and just sold a 2002 yamaha fz1.I usually use the xrr for forest service roads+ ride it to the forest.I just did a 1300 mile trip on the xrr.I am thinking the 990 would be a good replacment for both bikes.I rode a new 2010 990 in the sierras for about 25 miles.I have long legs and the 990 fit good.I didnt notice any problems at highway speeds.I am looking for a bike that can grind a day of freeway then run dirt in baja.I rented a r1200gs in Las Vegas and did a 2 day ride in Death Valley with it.The GS felt very front heavy in sand+ engine not as smooth-the whole bike not as sharp.
  16. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 280 mile ride ,mostly dirt on my 990. My riding partner was on his plated xrr, lets just say his wife wont be happy. I gave him the list of disclaimers before I let him ride it, you know it's twitchy at lowe speeds, well really that's all I could come up with! He did 20 miles of street and 15 of dirt and didn't want to give it back.... He said I sware that was going to be the heaviest bike I've ever rode but said it felt much lighter in the dirt then his xrr. On the street he said it was like riding his crotch rocket withou the fatigue in his wrists. ? He's home now doing the math and looking at bikes for sale.... just saying.. YOU NEED TO RIDE ONE.....
  17. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just do a testride ;)
  18. Vector Leto

Vector Leto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WJR,

+1 on your comments about the 990.

You have quite the selection of bikes. Did you win the lottery in 2012? Damn, I'm jealous!
  19. DaveWave

DaveWave Sometimes you win...sometimes you learn.

Oddometer:
    I have ridden dirt bikes for 40 years and have had well over 35 bikes and have ridden a few 990s…so I think I can say with some experience that the 990 will not do EVERYTHING better than a DR:huh…there are certain areas where the DR will outshine the 990. I'd much rather take the DR on a tight nasty trail than a big bike like the 990. That being said, I currently have a DR650 and I too have been looking at the 990 as an upgrade…but, I am having trouble getting over the maintenance issues that the 990 has. I'm not afraid to work on and maintain my bikes (I never pay a shop to work on my bikes), but for a $15k bike, it shouldn't have the issues that it does…and yes, I know that every bike has it's little nuances that must be addressed. The DR is such a dependable machine that is cheap, easy to work on, and will take you to as many or more places as the 990. It doesn't have near the power of the 990, not even close, but really, how much power do you need to explore the back country? I love it for it's simplicity and ability to do it all but it does have it's limitations…just like the 990. You need to decide what type of riding you'll be doing most. The DR is great for exploring the back country and running errands around town…or taking off to a third world country. It's not a single track machine but will do it, more so than a 990. Why anyone would want to wrestle a big machine like the 990 down a single track is beyond me…it is much more fun on a true dirt bike! Anywho…that's my rant…fire away.:bite
  20. RTODAHL01

RTODAHL01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rivermonster,
    Good thread.
    I am in a similar situation.
    Ride a 2011 husky TE449. I can't get rid of it cause I smile just thinking of riding it. So Pennies "and dollars" being set aside to pick up a 990.
    It is always good to hear everybody's input and experience.