Group Buy - Aluminum raid toolbox for R1200GS Adventure

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by rotaryracer, Jun 10, 2013.

1. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    THE GROUP BUY HAS ENDED - THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL THAT PARTICIPATED!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey guys....we've been able to get some great pricing on one of the most popular products we carry - the GS Adventure raid toolbox for the 2005-2012 R1200GS Adventure from DS Bike Protection. Designed to mount on the OEM BMW Adventure racks or Touratech racks, it provides 4.5L of lockable, water-resistant storage in an otherwise unused space. DSBP has just released the "Generation II" toolbox with a new floor profile (angled at the front) that provides more clearance for heavily laden bikes or those equipped with non-Adventure or lowered suspension. It also does not require removal of the stock mudguard.

[​IMG]

We've ordered in bulk so that DS Bike Protection could get the production cost down, and we're happy to pass that savings along to you. The toolbox normally retails for $137.99 (+$7.00 for the Touratech mount if needed), but the more people that sign up, the more discount you'll get!

The group buy will run through the end of the month, and I'll post regular updates on how we're tracking. Although this is obviously designed to save inmates some bucks, feel free to share with others outside of ADVrider. We'll run this one as follows:

• Reserve your spot in the group buy here. You'll be charged a $100 deposit when you reserve your spot. I can accept credit card or PayPal directly on the site, but will also take money order if preferred. If you need the Touratech-specific front mount, just add it to your order and your total cost will be the group buy price plus the Touratech mount cost.
    • Please put your ADVrider screen name in the order notes and/or reply here so I can keep track. Also, if your shipping address is different than billing, please make sure the ship-to address is in the order notes as well.
    • Once the month is over (or we get to 15 toolbox deposits), I'll put up either a group or individual link for payment of the balance and ship out immediately via USPS or UPS once payment is received.
    Any questions, please feel free to contact me at sales AT advmotorrad DOT com or via PM here.

Thanks!
  2. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Group Buy Deposits Received - Balance Status/Shipping Status (Updated 7/3 at 4:50PM ET) -

1. Seary - Paid/Shipped
    2. Dwatson59 - Paid/Shipped
    3. May
    4. Aldous - Paid/Shipped
    5. Texas Aggie - Paid/Shipped
    6. Creech - Paid/Shipped
    7. Fisk - Paid/Shipped
    8. Meier - Paid/Shipped
    9. NinjaRider - Paid/Shipped
    10. andysfo
    11. Swinefahrt - Paid/Shipped
    12. VG44 - Paid/Shipped
    13. Fibzzz - Paid/Shipped
    14. Grandstaff #1 - Paid/Shipped
    15. Grandstaff #2 - Paid/Shipped
    16. Pell - Paid/Shipped
    17. Nuclear biker - Paid/Shipped
    18. Langley - Paid/Shipped
    19. verruckt1 - Paid/Shipped
    20. joenuclear - Paid/Shipped
    21. captwheel - Paid/Shipped
    22. workin4beermoney - Paid/Shipped
    23. Enbalmer12 - Paid/Shipped
  3. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A video review of the DS Bike Protection raid toolbox.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LpiAZtk96uU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​
  4. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    When would they be available? I need one for my CDT trip next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Hikertrash - thanks for your interest! I actually have about 15 of the toolboxes in stock now, and another huge batch on the way. I'll close the group buy at the end of June and would expect I'd be able to ship out in the first week of July. If you need it sooner, I do have them in stock and will hook you up with the ADVrider inmate special. :)

Any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!
  6. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some pics of the first generation toolbox (flat box floor). All DS Bike toolboxes now shipping from ADV Motorrad are the 2nd generation box with increased clearance at the front.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    Hey rotaryracer,

Great looking product, I think I want one but need to be sure it will hold my cycle pump. Can you post the inside dimensions of the new box, couldn't find them on the website. I need the touratech specific mount. Also, will the boxes work with the touratech pannier special set, the narrower panniers, I think it special set are the same distance as the regular panniers on the drive shaft side of the bike, but cut out for the muffler on the left side of the bike. Here is a link to the panniers for your reference.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...er-Special-Set-2x-35L-R1200GS-ADV-Black-Racks

thanks
  8. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks good, and a fair price too. I hope to sign up soon.
  9. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Danman - here are some measurements in the pic below. These are external, so I would take a couple tenths of an inch off for material thickness and movement in the box. As an example, exterior length is 11.75" and internal length is about 11.5". The door opening is 2.375" wide by 5.5" high with the door completely removed from the box (it's not hinged and just lifts out), and the external width of the box is 3.25". Let me know if there's any other measurements you'd like to see?

If the Touratech racks are anything like Holan (and I would expect they are, given the two companies past relationship), the non-exhaust side will be the same and they'll only change up the exhaust side rack. You should be in good shape to mount it up, but on the off chance it doesn't fit up as expected, just let me know and we'll make it right.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
  10. ang

ang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put a deposit on one.
  11. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent - thank you!
  12. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the dimensions Jason.

Got these measurements from the BestRest website; "The cycle pump aluminum case is less than 2" high x 4" wide x 6" long. With all the wires, power connectors and hose, the storage pouch dimensions are 2x6x9". So a cycle pump should easily fit in the raid toolbox. The pump is great but takes up so much room in my tank bag when I am traveling without panniers. I have been looking for a better way to carry it with me full time. Looks like this will be just the thing. And I agree, should work fine with the touratech special set racks.

Will be back in town next week and will try to place an order then.
  13. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - quick edit on the dimensions above. I typo'd the top measurement as 9.5" when it's really 7.5". I've corrected the image above for accuracy.

Here are a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure....these are of the Gen I box...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here's a picture of the Touratech-specific front mount - the rear mounts the same as the BMW OEM rack.

[​IMG]
  14. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in the raid toolbox. I couldn't tell from the video if there is any type of water seal on the lid. How waterproof/water resistant are these boxes?
  15. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi JM - there is a foam gasket on the back of the door. It compresses when you lock the box and does a nice job of keeping things dry.

Regarding waterproofness, these boxes have done very well in most conditions but will probably allow some water through when riding continuously in "monsoon-esque" rainstorms, or if submerged. My recommendation is a large storage bag Ziploc for anything that has to stay completely dry (electronics, etc.). I'm also going to connect with Storm Industries about the possibility for Cordura liner bags for the raidboxes. They are an ADVrider inmate and vendor and their link can be found here.

Thanks!
  16. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One more question for you. Is the door opening wide enough to get a quart of oil inside? I'm looking for a way to stash engine oil away from the things inside my panniers.

Thanks for the speedy reply to my first question.
  17. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi John - the door opening is 2.375" wide by 5.5" high with the door completely removed from the box (it lifts out versus being hinged). I don't have a quart of oil nearby at the moment to measure, but hopefully that size opening will work for you!

Thanks...
  18. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just measured a Qt of oil. It looks like it should work but it will be close. Any chance you can try and put a Qt of oil in a box and let me know how it fits?
  19. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will have to think hard about this as they look well made and seems I always can find something to put in any available spot.
  20. rotaryracer

rotaryracer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys - I've been away from the shop this week on travel but will get some additional measurements and update the list of group buy participants. At a quick count, I think we are at five deposits, so there's a good chance we will start kicking up into new discount tiers soon!

Thanks again...