Windscreen Disgust ...... again

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by scottr, Mar 6, 2007.

1. alabamaWR

alabamaWR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark at MadStad Engineering has been perfecting the KTM Adv windscreen. He designed and markets the good one for the VStroms. email him to show support to get it out the door. See his last email below..

I wish! It definitely works, it's already been tested by 3 different bikers including a 6'4" rider who loved it. We just need to perfect the production of the adapter plate so that it fits evenly onto the fairing like the windshield does. The plastic shield is vacuum molded and comes out perfect every time. We form the metal by hand so making it come out perfect every time is not so easy. I think we have that solved though, we'll find out this week.

Best regards,
    Mark Stadnyk
    MadStad Engineering
    (352)608-4069
    http://www.madstad.com
  2. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For testing purposes, if a gang of neighbors could get together, the same reviewers could provide height and other vital stats, as they mix and match screens and record their impressions. The Westerners seem to get the nod for sheer concentration of numbers. All the posts, or nearly all, to date, have been one-off's, as in "I did this. Here's how it worked for me."

Kindof limited info, in that regard, but to be expected. I'm not minimizing anyone[s contributions, but it's like after reading the first 20 pages, my head is swimming.

What kind of OBjective / fact-based info can we add? I mean, short of renting a wind tunnel with an engineer who could interpret the data.

Wonder if we can (or the "testers" can) find a way to uniformly record the wind noise? Just tossing it out there.... if we can get 4 or more manufacturers' products, all the non-subjective data we could come up with would help some of us.

After analysis paralysis, I've kept the stock screen on mine for 3 years. I guess that's why noise-cancelling earplugs are invented... I would like to see this shoot-out bear real fruit.
  3. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
  4. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    The problem with any kind of windshield "shootout" is that it's so very subjective. I started riding naked bikes before I ever got one with a fairing. The windscreen on my 950 doesn't bother me at all. If I needed more protection I'd get a taller one. Less, cut it down. I'm glad people are making new ones all the time, but like Ganshert said, it won't "work" for everyone as "everyone" is looking for something a little different. There is no one screen that works for all.

Or at least I think so. And of course, if you live in Miami, your preference for a screen may be different than me in Colorado at 8400'.

Tom
  5. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
  6. Terence FFM

Terence FFM prof. cat-herder

Oddometer:

Oh my. :eek1

Look, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I thought the point of this thread was to help prevent us from going deaf, not blind. Oh well, if it works, then kudos to the inventor. Hopefully there will be a Mk. II version that is somewhat more, um, pretty.
  7. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    http://www.madstad.com/

Well now... After looking at the Madstad screen for KTM 990/950 your right Terence. I now have made my decision about the screen. If that is what is needed, and I have no doubt that the Madstad screen works, I am going to live with what I got. So no more searching for better solutions, it is what it is, a great bike but not arodynamic.
    KJ<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  8. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a bump to get this on the front page. I am 5' 10" and the buffeting @75 is bad but not as bad as my old GS1200. I would like to calm things down a bit and might try the two-screen approach, this (lifting the lower edge of the screen) worked on the GS.
  9. Pedrom

Pedrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a clear Laminar Lip and it works great! To see it go to:

http://www.laminarlip.com/adv950.php

The one (not a Laminar) on post 1127 (this thread) looks interesting as well.

The Laminar Lip reduces 75 - 80% of the buffeting. I'm 5'11" on a 2006 950s using an Arai Profile Helmet.

It sure made the ride more about the ride than wondering if I should be OK with blurred vision! I built it so I could remove it on the fly for more serious off-roading, but I have never removed it. It comes with sick-on velcrow type mounts, but I suggest using screws & nuts to mount. I did use the velcrow to make sure the mount location was correct & drilling. Then removed the velcrow. Using the spacers is very important for proper air flow!!

Best of roost...
  10. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That one is from Touratech - see http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/...=3935&osCsid=f4c2590d965cfb53b5258892227cc910

I ma doing a short trip on the bike next week with the Rally Raid screen fitted - if it works ok the Touratech lip will be for sale..........
  11. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    GANSHERT,
    Dude its mid April. Lets do this!
  12. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I prefer that they be right instead of just right now :D

Please have patience, I'm real close. I'd give you a time line but as soon as I do something will come up that destroys it.
  13. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick update - I have had the Rally Riad screen fitted for about 1,000 miles now, The first chunk of those miles was done on a smallm islad with a 40 mph speed limit so the feeling from the screen was pretty irrelevant for most readers.

But I took it to the UK last week and it worked great. The wind blast over the helmet at 70/80/90 mph is increased but there is a lot less buffeting. Good steady smooth air over the helmet (i am about 5' 10'')

I am happy with it and will not be changing back to the standard screen :freaky:freaky:freaky
  14. boosted gp

boosted gp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So has anyone here tried the Madstad screen yet on the 990?

looks like it will work really well.

Mike
  15. dejr2000

dejr2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AFAIK it's not released yet. I've emailed Mark @ Madstad and said it was in final stages but wasn't for sale yet.
    Bill
  16. Roughidle

Roughidle Slipping into darkness

Oddometer:
    Jersey City, NJ, USA, Earth, Sol System, UNIVERSE!
    :thumb
  17. Schleprock

Schleprock Let's Do This!

Oddometer:
    Bump.....How we looking? Dave:1drink
  18. yurdakulm

yurdakulm XxxxxX

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly this topic dropped to page 4!

After my last attempt with the reverse lip (which increased the buffeting of course:cry), tried to find a way to build a modular one that will have the cut-short base with various extensions. Extensions have 80 mm (3") stroke with one step in the middle...

Base is E-glass vacuum bagged in a female mould with Epoxy resin, then painted. Extensions are also built the same way, but only for trials. Next step is to CNC cut and bend the tinted polycarbonate see-through extensions.

Very happy with the short base, air duct diverts the air right under my chin while sides cover shoulders. Also has the lighter feel of a supermoto. Great for short rides and off-road.

[​IMG]

Orange one (Adven-Rallye) minimized the buffeting, but with some wind noise noticed. Still far better than the standard or the touring one :evil

[​IMG]

Black one with Dakar logo (Adven-Tour) changed my life :clap
    1" gap between the base and the air duct works well and buffeting entirely gone. Visor up with no air plugs 135 km (85 miles)! :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to finally graduate from this topic....:freaky
  19. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the look of the above setup!
    Who is making it ?
    Where can I get one?
    Thx
    Jim
  20. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Very nice! Looks factory made.... And if it works even better. I broke the last system I had. I'm looking for a replacement ...