Replacing damaged intake snorkel - advice?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by rumblefish, Apr 30, 2011.

1. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I have to replace one of the black intake snorkels on my F800Gs that was vandalized (the black external plastic part that sits around the "tank"). How do I go about removing the body panels in that area? Is it as simple as just removing the bolts around the tank, or is there some trick I don't know about?

Thanks in advance.
  2. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Sucks that it got vandalized...

Start by removing the whole panel, it is easy. There are tons of little snaps and stuff inside so it would be hard to remove without the whole panel.

1. Remove seat.
    2. Remove Center Trim (colored trim over battery).
    3. Take off lots of screws... see below.
    4. Reverse.

[​IMG]

I took a picture of the inside of one of my old panels (had an argument with a tree...). You can see lots of snaps and screw holes that are holding the black intake runner onto the panel. Some of the screws may be missing from my old panel.

[​IMG]

Good luck! :freaky
  3. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much! That's so helpful. It was more complicated than I figured - I'm glad I asked on here first.

Where did you find those diagrams? Is there a workshop PDF or a site online for these kind of things? I just downloaded the BMW workshop DVD only to find it doesn't run on a mac. :waysad

Lucky you were around.

Thanks again!
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Not too bad, the snaps are surprising though when you get in there.

I bought the BMW repair manual DVD... :D
  5. rumblefish

rumblefish xxx

Oddometer:
    Those snap things are a bugger! And a couple are held on with toothed washers (don't know the technical name). Doesn't look like BMW wants you to do DIY repairs.

Did it eventually though. Thanks again for all your help. I'll have to find a way to view that DVD through my mac somehow - it's handy...