Why does the KLR engine suck in HP

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by beergut, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I've been stranded due to catastrophic failure by three bikes since 1980 and one of those was a grenaded KLR.

YMMV

:chace
  2. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One klr and 2 ktms?
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I don't ride orange, it's against my religion. :deal

1974 Yamaha broke a shift drum.

2002 BMW stripped the clutch splines.

2005 KLR650 lost the main input shaft bearing behind the clutch basket.
  4. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    Mind you I HAVE to do something. -at least install the new slug that is...
  5. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Maybe the rider isn't shifting properly? :rofl
  6. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Probably.:wink:
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Yes I encounter the well known limitations of my 2005 KLR nearly every ride, at times I think of the upgrades to get more HP, but in the end I realize for the riding I use it for (slabbing 2-4 hrs with a load of camping gear to ride USFS fire roads, occasional half narly single trackish/rutted stuff and putter along country roads) it works just fine. Very rocky uphill stuff that ya need to blast through, nada it SUX at it, probably take the bypass if there is one. But it'll catch air (Ok not big but a little, and yes the suspension hates it), can pull a wheelie with a little work, and usually I get to the same destination slightly ahead of the rest of the guys on KTMs, DRZs, Huskys, etc. or maybe 45 sec later. Kapable but Limited Ride :D
  8. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you ride em hard and put em away wet...ha ha ha!:rofl:rofl
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I will expose every weakness. :deal

Junked that old Yammie, rebuilt the KLR into a 685 and replaced the transmission shaft on the BMW.
  10. kojack

Oddometer:
    ha ha...for sure!
  11. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    KLR riders making fun of KTMs is the epitome of hilarity. Give it a rest, guys. Your bike sucks, and is the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a decade now.

Reading Striking Vikings book, (who rode a KLR down and around South America) I was amazed by how many times he mentioned he had no brakes on a downhill, no power to go through a headwind or pass South American vehicles, and grenaded his engine, electronics and suspension multiple times. Not to mention the shitty suspension thrashed his back.

"Indestructible" KLR. :lol3

[​IMG]
  12. kojack

Oddometer:
    Yawn...

Sent from my totally awesome galaxy note! Over tapatalk2
  13. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes

It's amazing how the laughingstock of the off-road community for over a dacade is still (7 years and counting I believe) the #1 best selling dual-puropose bike in the USA.

Where's that book about the guy riding around the world on his KTM and having less issues than this guy on his KLR?

For everyday tasks, a Civic will do better than a Lambo, plus it costs less and they sell 10 times more. Would you argue that the Civic is the laughing stock of the car world?
  14. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    vs.

[​IMG]
  15. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:

Except, son, a KTM is not a Lambo. Not even close.

Nowadays, a KTM is like an Acura. But you "head in the sand, sky is falling" types will never (thankfully) realize that. You deserve to ride the fattest, slowest, ugliest bitch on the fireroad. :lol3

And a KLR was never in Civic territory. More like a Yugo. A Civic you can successfully upgrade. :lol3

I entered this conversation on a civil note, but when you double-digit IQ types start with the lies and misconceptions about KTMs, it tends to draw my ire.

Reap what you sow.
  16. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, how about this...

KLR is a Camry (#1 selling in it's category)
    KTM is Farrari (winning most of the races)

Can we agree yet?:photog

Regardless, I enjoy the fact that you completely ignored the 2 points I was making, before my little (flawed) analogy.
  17. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    not worth it...

seriously a little objectiveness never hurts...

I find it funny when somebody that has real world experience on BOTH ends of the spectrum you see very little objective banter and opinions regarding his/her experience...

as soon as somebody says something extremist on one end or the other people start yelling and getting all high and mighty:rofl

lastly

the last pics comparing a very rare and broken klr frame in the desert with a full out racing galouises ktm racing bike shows just how inmature and desperate to make a point some of us can get to doing...

in any case

there are points positive and negative of having all types of bikes, no bike is perfect and no bike does it all, why some people dont understand that is beyond me, as is bashing a bike for having too little hp versus having too much for example

you never see people bashing a cr500 for having too much brute hp back in the day! other than awing at its brute power, it would be just as dumb or extreme to say that that bike is PERFECT for everything.

in my humble opinion nothing will ever be perfect...much less a human on a forum! jajajajaja:D

so relax peeps!
  18. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    You are missing the point entirely. The point is that in your mind, a KTM is some sort of exotic, high-zoot, high-strung race machine.

The real-world reality is the exact opposite. It is very workmanship and tractor-like, and put together by engineers that knew what they were doing.

There's a reason why almost everyone rides them.

Hey, there's a place in the offroad world for a KLR, and I've seen them do some things that defy logic, but when people start slinging outright lies on KTMs, I tend to have a problem with that.

I'm here to educate people.
  19. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not missing the point, I'm missing your point... because I think it's flawed.

But I love this (quoted) part...

KLR is the best selling Dual Purpose bike for what... 7 years now? Which I stated a bit earlier, but you ignored because it goes against everything you're trying say. Not a single KTM is even on the list of 10 best selling Dual Purpose Bikes in the USA.

But somehow almost everyone rides KTM's.

Perhaps you mean in the race world everyone rides KTM's... but then again someone just tried to educate me on how KTM's aren't high strung race machines.

Well shit, now I'm confused again.

And Good for you elsalvadorklr for trying to keep the peace. I agree with you 100%.
  20. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

"Anyone who says they don't like the KLR, just doesn't like motorcycles ..."

:ricky

God bless KTM!

Fun thread ...

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
    PS: not sure who's in the pic, poached from the race forum ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.