Best Small Dual Sport Bikes ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Guillaume, May 3, 2012.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume Pothole Dodger

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Looking for a second bike to use in the city. Here in Montreal, we got potholes like everywhere and lot of traffic so I'm looking for a small bike. No CBR250R or Ninja 250, I really need a good suspension with the roads we got here..

My main bike is a Triumph Tiger 1050 SE (just bought it !!) and I love it but I want something smaller to pass cars and avoid trafic.

I'm looking to buy used, these dual sport bikes rarely have high mileage on it and have great prices. Problem is I'm really not into dual sport bikes so I don't know what's good and what's not for my needs...

I'm kinda fucked with all the names, CRF230, CRF250, YZ250, TW200, KLR250.. etc

I like the look of the TW200 but being 16 HP, I guess it is really slow and boring to drive. I can be wrong so please educate me.

It will be 80% city, 20% highway.

By the way, I'm 5'9, 30 inches inseam so big no bike too tall please.

Thanks a LOT :)
  2. tarded xr650

tarded xr650 n00b

Oddometer:
    the klr250 or a wr250 would be a good bike for what you are looking for. a crf250 would require way to much maintenance for street use.
  3. Guillaume

Guillaume Pothole Dodger

Oddometer:
    WR250 is kinda pricey in used on my area.

What about the TW200 ??
  4. tarded xr650

tarded xr650 n00b

Oddometer:
    haven't had much experience with the bike, u might try looking at thumpertalk.com they may have a little more info on the tw200
  5. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I agree with Tard. And you're looking for the WR250R, not the WR250F (the WR250F has the same issues as the CRF250). I'd also recommend the Suzuki DR350SE (the "E" at the end means it has electric start, don't confuse it with a DR350, or DR350S). Another good one would be the Honda CRF230L. This bike used to be called the XR230L in case you are looking for used bikes.

Confusing enough?

TW200 won't be able to hold highway speeds.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you just want a commuter then an XT250 would be on my short list. Definitely not my top pick for real dual sport use. But they have enough power for urban riding, decent suspension for street use, low seat height and they are relatively inexpensive.
  7. imprezagm4

imprezagm4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XT225 or dr350se gets my vote! I started on dual sports with an xt225 and I loved it (still do!)....
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Uncorked WR250X for pavement use. WR250R if you're gonna ride dirt. Add power mods if it still feels sluggish.
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tw200 is good for about 65 mph after a gearing change.
    Its not 'quick', maybe its the CV carb, or a heavy flywheel, or the big heavy tires, but even for a 200 its low on snap like you would want in traffic.
    The xt225 is fun and seems to have some snap, its got a 6 speed trans also, the TW has a 5 speed.

Except for the non dual sport suspension, the tu250 is great in traffic.
  10. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WR250R if you think you may want some dirt on the weekend!
    [​IMG]
  11. john pfeiffer

john pfeiffer KTM Submarine Pilot

Oddometer:
    I own a KTM 530 EXC, but one of the best all around bikes I've seen for commuting multi street terrain is the DRZ350 or DRZ400. Some of the best deals out there and just about the right size. Don't expect lots of power or off road handling, but a good solid bike with scores of aftermarket parts. My 3 cents.
  12. Dingo Joe

Dingo Joe Frick You...

Oddometer:
    don't let anyone tell you a tw200 isn't fun. i think it's a great city bike, easy for urban exploring, and will run out on any secondary road, not good for highway unless it;s only an exit or two. More fun than a barrel full of monkey! I've had many bikes and the tw200 stands out...
  13. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I had a TW for a few years and I agree it can be fun around town, you have to rev the nuts off it on the highway even with a gearing change. I found I would go numb in the private parts in no time. I kept thinking how great a bike this would be if it only had the old XT350 motor in it. Also the suspension was quite basic and harsh. If I were you I would take a look for a used Sherpa.
  14. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    KLX250S?

A little cheaper than the WR250R and just about as good.
  15. Guillaume

Guillaume Pothole Dodger

Oddometer:
    Thank you guys, I appreciate your answers !
  16. trailhiker

trailhiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i would prefer the new KLX 250S.
  17. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XT350 if you got a good knee, however, pretty simple to start. OR a DR350S or SE. depending on yoru starting ability that is. ive owned an XT and it was a great bike!! currently have a DR350S that i'm running the balls off of! lol
  18. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yamaha XT255, no doubt about it. There is no better small dual sport for both on and off road. I have 2, a 94 set up mostly for off road and dirt roads (but still street legal), and an '01 set up for street use, with street tires, bar risers, and bash plate removed. It is small, light, and agile. It will even work on the freeway. I have been from Phoenix to San Diego and back on it more than once. If want accessories they are there. I have a 4 gallon Clarke tank, a BryanSwens luggage rack, and a Cigar Mike centerstand, among many other smaller things. This bike is at home almost anywhere. It is simple, reliable, just about bulletproof as far as I can tell, gets good gas mileage, and is a blast to ride. And best of all, you can get really nice used ones for very reasonable prices.
  19. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    For a town runner I always wanted a Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
  20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer: