SMALL bike camping thread

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by RAZR, Dec 2, 2010.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

i am starting another thread in regards to cooking off of a small motorcycle when camping.:ricky

i am NOT talking about trucking your bike to an event, unloading all your shit, setting up a tailgate party and cooking as if you were "car camping".:ddog

i would like to see your set up for camping off the bike and what your bring, what you eat, how you cook, what equipment works, what equipment doesn't work, the preparation, etc etc etc.:deal

i ride a KTM 525 EXC and i am NOT bringing a WOK or an IRON SKILLET like a saw in another thread.:nono

if you ride a big bike, i would like to know what you bring as well, but the main purpose of THIS thread is to hear about your gear and LESS IS MORE type of camping.:dunno

i would love to hear about FF's that have ridden around the world, ridden down to the tip of South America, ridden Baja, etc.

so i guess this could be a SMALL BIKE camping thread.(aka THUMPER)

what food do you bring?

what cooking equipment do you use?

what gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad) do you use?

how do you load it onto your bike?

what bike do you have?

any modifications to your bike (reinforced sub-frame, luggage rack, large tank, etc)?

with all of the above questions, how do you pack it tightly and securely for bumpy off-road riding (oh yeah, i aint talkin about riding down some straight paved road to the next camp spot, i'm riding OFF-ROAD)

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !:deal

here's a similar thread...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566863
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
  3. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    You should check out the minimalist touring thread. It's about actual small bikes (250cc and down). http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349

My DRZ400 is my "big" bike :wink: and I've done 15 day camp-only rides on it and not spared the luxuries. It helps that two of us travel together on separate bikes so we can split up who carries what. It also helps that I weigh a lot less than the average ADV bear so no need to reinforce the frame. I can't even imagine that. I could carry everything I would need solo on the Dizz, but I like my travelling companion.

Hannda likes this.
  4. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of ALL those responses to the thread you don't like, you can't figure out some minimalist ways to take/prepare/cook/etc the food or prep tools used? Not everyone who replied to that thread rides a GS or a Wing I am sure.
  5. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm setting up my KTM 690 for a 5 month unsupported trip. My camping gear consists of this.

* MontBell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #1
    * Thermarest Neoair pad
    * GSI pinnicle Backpacker cookset
    * MSR Whisperlite stove
    * Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 Tent

I'm using Wolfman Dry Expedition saddle bags.

6. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    RAZR
    Thanks for starting this thread

Subscribed
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  7. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    A thread after my own heart. For me, I can enjoy a tasty, comparatively health and balanced diet, with enough variety to keep me interested indefinitely by just using boiling water. Once you learn how to do this, it's incredibly liberating. For me, the Jetboil, with a titanium spork is the smallest and lightest packing way of doing this quickly and reliably (other comparably performing stoves are smaller, but require cooking utensils/mess kit, so it's a false saving IMO). Supplement it with a small disposable lighter packed inside it if going to higher altitude. A properly packed Jetboil is also very rugged, which is more can be said for some ultralight stoves. Something to consider if packing it in soft luggage when offroading...

I am always on the lookout for a better way of doing it, but I've yet to come across anything as good.

Two hotel mini shampoo containers, one with washing up liquid in and the other with a J-cloth (terry towel) rammed inside it form the washing up kit. The j-cloth is wrapped round the spork and used to clean the inside of the jetboil (which is itself used to heat up the washing up water). For single night trips with only 2 meals being cooked on it, I reduce this to one container, holding a j-cloth pre-soaked in washing up liquid.

Real minimalists eat canned/rehydrated food cold or just things that don't require heating, but that's miserable and not worth the discomfort to me, even when I'm backpacking, never mind on a motorbike.
  8. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Jetboils. Expensive but packs really small and is durable. +1 at the lighter for higher elevations, or windy environments.

My hair is half gone and I keep it cut short so I just use barsoap to wash it. One grocery store sourced bar lasts quite awhile when traveling. I have an REI Camp Dome 2 tent, packs wicked small, can be setup really quick, and doesn't require anchors to stand (though make sure you weight it down if you don't want it to blow away). I also have the REI camp bed 3.5 X-large, I roll around a bit and this one is wider so I don't roll off onto the cold ground and wake up every hour, and it's thicker so it keeps me quite warm and comfy even though it is wide to pack on the motorcycle. For a sleeping bag I just currently have a coleman 30 degree bag that I picked up at walmart for $40 which does well, packs fairly small (compared to some bags) and I've used it down to 35 degrees with my sleeping pad with light sleeping clothes (I'm sure it'd do even better if I was wearing normal clothes to sleep in). I'm also a warm person normally with a good amount of natural insulation so ymmv.

http://www.rei.com/product/791308
    http://www.rei.com/product/731378
    http://www.rei.com/product/778153
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Oscine-30-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/13848665

I usually bring tea, oatmeal, granola bars. I might bring some hotdogs or other camping food that can be cooked over a fire depending on the duration of the trip, instant mashed potatos, rice. If I am fishing I usually can rig up a way to cook the fish over a camp fire. Canned soup is good, soup mixes are better since water can usually be had locally and boiled or purified, curry for the rice is good too. I have in the past (though not on the bike) taken an icepack, rubber-banded anything that needs to be refrigerated to it (usually hotdogs) and then bought one of those watertight thermal bags. That usually gets me 24-48 hours of cold for refrigerated items, and it's worked well enough. Dehydrated camping/hiking meals are decent besides for their price which is kinda high; they're also loaded with salt to make em tasty. They pack light and fairly compact as well, and usually you just need to add boiling water.

I've admittedly only gone off the bike once on my old v-strom and can't find any pictures.

Edit: The camping pad is expensive but it's freaking worth it!
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    do scooters count, when not on the GS I take this camping :D

[​IMG]
    Sleeping bag in rear black roll bag (since got a smaller bag)
    Green bag has tent poles and axe as well as some fire starting stuff.
    Rear seat bag as clothes and other misc personal supplies like toiletries and camera stuff. I do have some under the seat storage which as the tent and my camp chair (butterfly) as well as sleeping pad and a few other small items.
    I tend to bring many comforts along with me if I was doing it light much of the clothes and chair etc would be left at home :D
    unpacked (yes a 3 person tipee)
    [​IMG]

:norton
    will do a breakdown if interested.
    My new big agnes bag is great and much smaller then the previous bag.
    Oh and I use one of shady rascals stoves for cooking :wink:
    mostly just boil water for drinks meals
    [​IMG]
  10. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Good thread you started.

I would like to suggest that replies include the weight of each item recommended.

From my experiences, I've adapted all my ultra-light backpacking/ climbing gear to overnight expeditions on the enduro. Both sports benefit by light products that pack small and provide exceptional performance. Unfortunately these typically require allot of coin during the initial investment.

When I get a chance I'll edit my post with what works for my travels on the bike.
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Great thread. :clap

AngryScot your scooter is a hoot and I like that you take it out on adventures.

Soon I'll post some pics of my DR200 packed for extended trips. I have two different cooking set ups I use depending on which bike I'm riding. I'll pull them out, get some pics, and post them soon.

I'm looking forward to the cooking tips. Anything that can be cooked with hot water is what I want to see. At the end of my riding day I rarely want to mess with cooking and really don't want to deal with much clean up. Quick and easy is where it's at.
    learned my lesson and NxtGoRnd like this.
  12. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going somewhere Charles??:ear

This was the setup on my last ride:
    [​IMG]

The tripod was a pain, I really like having it, but the tripod and the SLR in the tank bag take a tremendous amount of space.

The tent on top of the Giant loop is a nemo 2p.

I find it kinda bulky on the bike, but... I really like it on the ground:rofl

I have a small pot and a little stever stove that I really like for cooking The Alcohol, spork and a little food all packs in the pot.

This last ride I really missed my little beer cooler. I have had some trouble getting things to stay put, so I left the cooler off thinking I'd just pick up a beer each day. But that turned into a PITA. so I'm going to add that back to the mix. [​IMG]

I've been able to carry everything I want, EXCEPT for food storage which I really have not perfected yet. Maybe the ring bag thing Giant loop makes around my tank bag would be just big enough...

Giant loop bags, I'm 100% sold on them.
  13. Iaone

Iaone And there I was!

Oddometer:
    Angerscot where did you get that 3 man tipi and how much? That looks ideal! Sorry for the highjack.
  14. antonac

antonac Commuter

Oddometer:
    Jeez, that chain looks like it could use a little love
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
  16. Snr Moment

Snr Moment Unafarkler

Oddometer:
    I need to start paying attention here as I have a slight tendency to over pack. Not a real problem on the road, but, as I get further and further off the tarvy, it's an issue. Gravity on a bigger bike is not your friend.

[​IMG]
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    :poser

Understatement of the year! :D
  18. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Loaded for four nights camping about a month ago - Giant Loop + Wolfman tail bag for luggage. Gear included hammock, tarp, poles, 0ºF sleeping bag, downmat, jetboil coffee pot + cooking pot, all food, two quarts water, clothes and shower stuff, Kermit Chair, Polar Bear 12-pack cooler (with beer) and tools/tubes for basic roadside repairs.

I insist on bringing along my comforts.

Total weight of camping gear is about 35-45 pounds, depending on how much beer or water is aboard. I've added a stiffer spring on the rear with remote preload so I can crank it up when loaded and still have decent handling, albeit a bit top-heavy. The GL keeps the heaviest items at the ideal location - low and ahead of the rear axle.

En route:

[​IMG]

At camp:

[​IMG]
  19. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    good thread though it's all covered already in other threads. I can't post pic's here but his is my setup.

suzuki bandit 1250s with hard bags. rt bag holds my clothes. socks/underwear/t shirt rolled up together and compressed inside a gallon baggy. one for each day. i ride in leathers and only need shorts (2 pair) for the campfire part of it.

left bag is tire repair kit, mess kit, stove, gas misc.

large dry bag on seat/rack holds hamock, tarp, soft cooler walmart sleeping bag and OVERFLOW :) .

my stove is a heineken penny stove (google it) and fuel is from home depot. my coffee is in the form of "tea" bags. one large cup of water takes 2.5 minutes to boil from my penny stove using one ounce of fluid. i look for a store before the end of the day and pull out my soft cooler for beer, ice, english muffins, sandwich cheese, ect.

for fire started, i make my own. i use dryer lint and melt a cheap candle on it, rolling it up like a cigar as i melt the wax.

the hammock and tarp pack really small too vs a ttent.
  20. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    what can you POSSIBLY tell from that picture?:huh

chain and sprockets were replaced after that ride though:deal