KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know of a specific light, but if i was going to go that route, I'd probably get some nice LED's that you can easily mount to like the forks and plug in. Build a custom mount, etc. :)

2. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :1drink

After updating to the 11' spec rings and continuing to burn oil, I gave up on the stock piston. Installed a Wossner piston, now 20 hours later, the bike uses no oil, like a proper 4-stroke. Leave that oil jug at home. Something to consider when you freshen it up next time.
  3. IN2DEEP530

IN2DEEP530 n00b

Oddometer:
    Which of these to you see as the better buy....

2009 KTM 530 EXC-R $7000
    Bike is new with only 161 miles and 5.3 hrs on the meter. NEVER SEEN DIRT. I bought it new and never used it. I installed a JD Jet kit before the bike left the garage. I added a euro tail section, quick release skid plate, slave cylinder guard, sicass tail lights, tool bag, enduro mirror, FMF slip-on. I also have a brand new set of black Excel wheels that have never had tires on them. Two new Conti SM tire (120), (160) and two new michelin tubes. Two front fenders one is KTM and the other is UFO. Wheel sizes are 5.00 rear and 3.50 front. Both have Talon hubs abd stainless bulldog spokes

2011 KTM 530 EXC $6800
    2011 Ktm 530 EXC
    -Barely ridden (17hrs - 506 miles
    -FMF slip on
    -JD jet kit installed
    -Rear fender eliminator installed
    -LED turn signal
    -Have new mirrors that fold down while riding in woods still in package, and also have buddy pegs still in package!!
    -Road ready, will need a back tire soon

Appreciate your thoughts.
  4. windyhill

Oddometer:

While it sounds like the 09 comes with some great extras, for that much coin, I'd go for the newer bike. My .02 cents.
  5. hooknup

hooknup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    09 is way too high. I have my 09 listed for $5500 with 1600 miles.
  6. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    The '09 seller is trying to recoup the cost of those SM wheels....you could make a deal without them to bring it down.
    They are worth at least $1500....
  7. tobys

tobys OCD Hobbiest

Oddometer:
    Unless you really want the SM setup...
  8. RobertoGatos

RobertoGatos Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer:
    One of my bikes was transferring oil, and after splitting cases to replace every seal (with no luck) the problem was finally found to be in the idler gear (KTM PN 78033053200). There is a brass bushing pressed into the steel gear, and in that assembly, there are two oil ports that must line up (between the bushing and gear) If these ports do not line up it will cause your bike to blow oil out of the transmission and / or transfer oil. Check this before you start replacing crank and oil pump seals.
    To fix the problem:
    A: Buy a new gear, the current wait is about a moth and no one has them in stock. KTM in Austria will have them in about three weeks (supposedly) ... I'm not feel in that.
    B: Heat up the gear in the oven, take it out, support the back side of the gear with a large socket, then cool the inner brass bushing with a piece of ice, find a socket the same size as the OD of the brass ring, and bang it out with a hammer. Reassemble in a similar fashion, heating the gear and freezing the ring. When pressing the assembly together use high temperature sleeve retaining compound on the interference fit. Also note that the oil ports are not centered in the brass bushing, so make sure the right side is facing up. Hopefully your oil ports are now lined up and you can go ride...
    Also... If you have an 08, the right side crank seal cannot be replaced with the seal out of the newer bikes. Use sleeve retainer to hold in the 2008 seal in place. Only problem this bike has had in 175 hrs of riding/racing, and it has been sunk a few times. She's a baby!
  9. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an Acerbis 3.4 gallon orange tank they would be willing to part with? I'm having trouble finding one for a used price.

:ear
  10. windyhill

Oddometer:

Good find, I don't think I've read about that one before. Do you think it was a manufacturing defect, or did the bushing shift on the shaft?
  11. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Both seem like pretty decent prices. The '09 IMHO is a great deal with the SM wheel set included, which would be at least $1500, probably more with those Conti-SM tires. Maybe around $2k if you were to buy it new.

There isn't really any substantive difference between the '09 and '11 bikes. Some chassis changes, but no big deal. The '09 has barely been used at all (both have barely been used, but 5.3 hrs is not even broken in).

If you could scoop the '09 for a few hundred less than his asking price I think you'd end up with a great bike for a very good price. If you didn't want the SM wheels you could easily recoup over $1k by reselling them (although when you try them, you might change your mind!).

dc
  12. KTM Explorer

KTM Explorer Dirt Whore

Oddometer:
  13. trailjammer

Oddometer:

I've ridden my friends bike w/one. It was nice, but I can't really say it felt 'wider' for the brake platform, but it did grab your tow better w/the spikes. Nice having the option of replaceable pieces too.
  14. trailjammer

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with you Country Doc. You nailed it. The '09 does have a lot of goodies. :clap
  15. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked my brothers 530 up after it was stolen and fixed. He came and picked it up at my house, went home, locked it up and it was gone again the next day. WTF, bad luck or what?

Life is good!
  16. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    That does suck....sounds like a neighbor saw him bring it home....maybe some video surveillance and a junker decoy bike would catch them....what kind of "locked up"?
  17. WVa Dualsport

WVa Dualsport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like your brother lives in the wrong part of the world. Some of us don't have to live with that type of crime yet.
    Hopefully he can retrieve it again. I'll bet the insurance company loved that call too.
  18. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    So he installed a dead bolt lock into the concrete pad of his garage and locked the bike to that, then he placed a padlock and chain through the wheels and frame, then he removed the CDI, then he locked the security bars on the windows of his garage, then he dead bolted the big garage door and the small garage door, then he set the garage / house security alarm and then set the security cameras and they still got it?
  19. Fulano

Fulano Scooter Trash

Oddometer:

Busted mine a while back. Took it to a welder and $35 later all was right with the world
  20. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The D606 came on my bike is starting to round off pretty good. I have been looking at some of the trials type tires as a replacement. What are everyones opinion of these tires? I ride mostly singletrack stuff and jet between trails over a few miles of road from time to time.

Been lookong at MT43?