Camping Near Haines Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by goldenrev, Apr 22, 2011.

1. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Just made a ferry reservation for me and the bike from Skagway to Haines for my Alaska trip this summer... the trip is stating to feel pretty real. Does anyone have a suggestion for where to camp near Haines?
  2. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Google is your friend and they show a far amount of camp grounds at Haines. Just north of the ferry building at the end of the road is some camping on Lutak Road right by Chiloot Lake. Hope that helps....

When is your trip scheduler for? I'll be up there in June-July.
  3. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there in 1997 and 2000 and we got off north bound ferry in the morning and headed on up the road, but in the late 70's we arrived a day ahead of the ferry to go south and camped on the beach along the road from town to the ferry, or past the ferry terminal. Don't recall exactly where. You can probably still do that. Was quite nice with a camp fire and sounds of the ocean.
  4. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion RE Goggle...

I am heading up from Northern California on June 4, but taking my time. My wife will be riding with me on her own GS for the first leg. We are going to spend some time visiting the San Juan Islands then over to Vancouver Island. She will head hone from there while I take the Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert.
  5. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! I will check the beach out to see if they still allow camping... it is not he 70s anymore!! :lol3
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    You haven't seen Solarmoose's motorcycle fleet have you?
  7. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    OK... sounds interesting let's see some photos :eek1

This is what I was up to in the 70s (1973-74):

[​IMG]

(Marine Security guard in Tehran, Iran. I am in the front row far right)
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    When did the 70's end? did I miss something?

as requested something from back then, a '75

[​IMG]

of course AKBeemer was already gettin gray when this bike was born...

9. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    When were the Marines ever that young?
    Ahhhhhhh youth-Where have you gone?
  10. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Check your PMs.....................
  11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is what I was doing until '78

[​IMG]

:lobby
  12. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:

Which one is you? :lol3
  13. Pastieman

Pastieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are also a lot of campable spots along the road on your way to the border. Some of them right on the river and some that take you a ways off the road. And there is a gravel pit looking thing closer to the border but not before you go up the big hill. (It'll make sense when you get there)

There is a lodge along the way that had really good burgers and, when I was there, the cooled their beer and soda with mountain stream water.

If you camp outside of the campgrounds please be bear aware. I was there working along the highway for about 2 months in September/October. We only saw one bear but LOTS of sign.

Have a fun trip!

Brian
  14. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    I take the Haines route quite a bit when I'm cruising around. If I remember right you'll be landing about the early afternoon, which means you will have plenty of time to find a place to camp at many locations. some people pick one of the towns a long the way, you will find camping at every location through Canada and it is legal to camp anywhere you feel comfortable in Alaska as long it isn't privately owned. Unlike the lower forty-eight where every square inch is owned by somebody, land up here is a' plenty. Some people like to push on to Haines Junction, which has many camping options and some good burger joints. Some like to push it further like to Destruction Bay or to Beaver Creek, which is about the extent of what I like to do before it gets to late. Beaver Creek has a few camping options. I like to go to the gas station that has the plastic polar bear in front above the door and ask to stay in their workers camp. It is a trailer out back with a community shower, which has great water pressure and nice and warm. That option is kind of on the DL. Most people find a hotel room or camp at one of the sites offered by a few of the businesses in Beaver Creek. The border is only about forty miles beyond that. If you want some more advice, depending on what you want to do in the AK I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Are you spending any time in Fairbanks?:wink:
  15. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed information & suggestions Brian... I have made some notes...

James
  16. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the ideas... great stuff!

I am spending a little time in Anchorage then up to Fairbanks. I have reservations at the dorms and have a set of TKC tires waiting for me at Adventure Cycleworks... then up to Prudhoe Bay.
  17. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you've done your homework. These are to solid pieces of advice that I give people when it comes to places to stay and have your bike worked on in Fairbanks. Good choice with the tires as well, they will serve you well-I'm assuming your doing the Prudhoe run. If so are you camping or staying some place?
  18. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    I have reservations in the dorms before & after a planned 4 day up & back to Prudhoe. I am leaning toward camping on the way up and back if the weather is decent.
  19. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:

do you have an idea of :1drinkwhere you want to camp?
  20. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    Thinking about the State Campground north of Coldfoot...