2" genuine SOLAS tape *super reflective* $*/ foot, however much you you want!!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Phi1osopher, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Beaming

Beaming Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got mine today. Thanks Steve for the great product and quick shipping.

Dave
  2. Phi1osopher

Phi1osopher metaphysician

Oddometer:
    Dave, Stumpalump, Thank you so much for buying some tape. I am glad you are happy with it!
    -Steve
  3. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    My tape came quickly! Great stuff! Ads more visability to me and the bike. Glad I got it. Don't care if I look dorky. I'm seen better at night !
  4. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    I am happy that you like it.

Hi-Viz, reflective-dorky is the new:

[​IMG]

-sexiest man alive-
    ...and, Yes. I had to Google "sexiest man alive" to find that pic.

Peace and grease,
    -Steve
  5. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    I've been shipping off several packages of tape every couple of days. Thanks to all 17 of you who have bought tape.
    In fact, I am starting to run a low on the roll.

I'd love to see some pics posted here of what you're doing with your tape!

Peace and grease,
    -Steve
  6. Driver5150

Driver5150 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Send me 8 ea. 12 inch x 2 inch strips and paypal addy. Thanks .:deal
  7. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    Driver -- I got your PM, and sent you a PM back.
    Thanks!
    -Steve
  8. TrailDust&SaddleLthr

TrailDust&SaddleLthr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely flawless transaction!

All goods received as ordered, even with a little bit more as a bonus, as Steve said he tries to do!

Extremely prompt shipping, packaged with care and exactly as advertised, in the manner advertised, for the price advertised!

Kudos to you Steve, all the way... 5 Stars in my book!

Thank you so much, this is great!

If you had some AMBER SOLAS tape as well, I would take a couple of strips for the sides of my front forks.

I think the white ones on the front of the forks should work perfectly if you are on a budget and can't afford the $200.00 Hyper-Lites for the front. I am going to put some there for sure, then a couple of small pieces on the front of my handguards, then on sides of my Pelican case for the tail and on my Rotopax too. On helmet would be good as well, I will see about that. Endless possibilities for sure.

Many thanks again Steve!

Best always,

J.
  9. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see some pics of your applications, guys!
  10. Stumpalump

Stumpalump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picts of my handiwork often lead to embarrassment, ridicule and the emotional pain associated.:cry Personally I'm delighted with the way my helmet turned out! This stuff is super sticky as in you need to be dead on when you put it in place. Good stuff!
  11. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    Here's a gas tank I did in reflective checkers back in 2006. Ok. Apologies up front. This is a bit cutesy, it is not using SOLAS tape, and I just "cut and pasted" this from something I wrote back then. But it is kind of on the topic of reflective tape.

Here is Isaac's walk through on how to cut and apply reflective tape checkers.
    [​IMG]
    Hi. I only know about ten words. Maybe more, My favorite is “Moo Cow.” However, my second favorite is “Varoom,” and that is the sound that a quality checkers paint job makes when it is attached to a well built vintage cafe racer. Trust me. I know about this stuff.

[​IMG]
    Ok. Let’s get started. You can see that I already masked up the petrol tank. I used 3M’s 1" blue masking tape “for automotive applications.” Also, here to my left you can see where I have prepared some squares out the reflective tape -- I used the blue and grey paper cutter in the background. Along with the squares are some pin stripes (which will be used later), some chocolate chips, and a beer (which will be used now). Also note how I thoughtfully put an old blanket down so I don’t scratch up Mommy’s table. See, why can’t Daddy think of little details like that?

[​IMG]
    Here I have removed the center strip of masking tape and the strip immediately to its right. I will be placing the checkers by hand, using the remaining hedge of tape on either side as a guide. As the tape squares are laid the guide tape will facilitate mostly straight and obliging rows.

[​IMG]
    Ah! The checkers’ squares. And I use the word “square” loosely. These are hand cut so on a theoretical level, every one is a little different. It is good to keep in mind that the tank is not flat, instead its a round, curved surface. Because of this, in order to keep the illusion of symmetry, I often have to hunt square by square to find just the right one with the perfect imperfection. Some are larger than others, some are lop-sided, others are closer to true. I will sort the conspicuously inaccurate ones in their own little pile for later use.

[​IMG]
    We have a good row going here. I like to peel the guide tape as I go. It helps me keep a view of the big picture. This process of actually laying the checkers just cruises by. I’d say that more than 60% of this job is preparation. Sometimes at this point I will feel obligated go back and remove a checker and replace it with one that is more suitable for that location.

[​IMG]
    Doesn’t that look great?! Note that where I have the petrol cap’s opening taped closed and placed the checkers right across that opening. I use some of those earlier mentioned odd ball squares here. A little later I will go back with a razor blade or an “Exacto Knife” to trim the excess. The next step after this picture is to lay that third and final row of checkers. While this one is the easiest, I often will find some missteps along the way – sometimes life doesn't doesn’t fit the way it should, and things need to be slightly rearranged to accommodate the illusion of symmetry. Even the softest of things can pass through a horse like invisible water. If you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you can head off your enemies with a balanced attack. A bird in the hand is always greener than the grass under the other guy's bushes. Like a walnut. I found this tape to be somewhat stretchy, so if I have to remove a square, it often will deform, and I wont be able to reuse it.

[​IMG]
    Yey! The checkers are done and I placed one of the pin stripes. You also can see I trimmed the tape around the petrol opening. A word about the pinstripes. This tape came in 1.5" wide rolls. Since the checkers are 1" square, I was left with 0.5" strips of leftover tape. I used the paper cutter to carefully slice these into what I imagine are approximately 3mm-wide pinstripes. This was a bit difficult to consistently get right, but I eventually ended up with several long, straight usable pieces. When I place the pin stripes I try to space them their own width from the checkers. I used to carefully mask off guide lines, but now I just do it by eye.

[​IMG]
    Boom goes the dynamite! You can tell I’m proud of my work in this picture.

[​IMG]
    One more view of the mostly completed tank -- I still need to shoot the whole thing with a clear coat. You can see my pink bike there in the background. Can you guess whose bike will be getting checkers next?!! That’s right. I thought it would be best to practice on Daddy’s before tackling mine.

[​IMG]
    Nothing beats the feeling of a job well done!

I've got to tell you, this reflective tape stuff is super fantastic stuff!! I only wish I could have done it with some of that fancy SOLAS tape. Maybe I'll try to do one of Daddy's helmets next.....

Peace and diapers
    -Isaac
  12. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best. Write-up. Ever.
  13. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    Everyone's tape was shipped off yesterday. If anyone is concerned that they were overlooked, please PM me.
    Thanks!
    -Steve
  14. Agent3012

Agent3012 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After receiving my tape strips, I went ahead and tried a few quick applications.

Helmet:

[​IMG]

Front Forks:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The strip around the forks looks like it was originally came with the forks during the day, but shines brightly at night.
  15. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    Hey, That looks great. Thanks for posting the pics!
    -Steve
  16. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics of my tape installed on my top box. I'm about fifty feet away. The light is from a 100 lumen LED flashlight. The first pic the light is pointed at the ground. The second pic the light is pointed directly at the top box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Driver5150

Driver5150 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve for the quick shipment. As soon as I get it installed will send photo proof of the super bright reflective nature of the tape. Ride Safely, Rob
  18. Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my tape in the mail, wasn't expecting it to come that quickly! I promptly slapped it all over my bike.[​IMG][​IMG]
  19. Phi1osopher

Oddometer:
    Looks great! jfoley09, thanks for sharing the pic.
  20. SamRus

SamRus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this still active? I'd like some tape! Sent you the PM.