Road Testing my Spud (prototype II)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by PapaYolk, Oct 3, 2011.

1. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Jayson is looking to be production ready by January. The new and improved Spud will have an aluminum frame. :D
    I'm first on the "to get" list. I will be contacting all who have PMed and emailed me and be collecting contact info from those who want to be on "The List". I will update Spud 3's progress here and on Facebook (Tim Mazac) and give a unit price as soon as we figure it out. Jayson's full sized teardrops are SWEET, so I'm confident the new and improved Spud will shine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    lithodave likes this.
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
  3. slyeager

slyeager Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet, I see a trip out west in my near future next summer/fall............
  4. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Seems my patent lawyer has immortalized me as the faceless gimp in my NPU patent application.

[​IMG]
  5. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Faceless Gimp . . . :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Glad it seems to be going well! :thumb
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn that is one great trailer....you now have me rethinking my next two wheeled trailer designs.....thanks.....:freaky
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Sweet trailer but ya forgot something...a wet bar :freaky
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

but dont worry, for a mere $150k you can get one, too much $$ you say :eek1 but it does come fully stocked :norton
    [​IMG]
  8. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Cool wet bar. I don't entertain much, so a burger and brew will do. :dg

[​IMG]
  9. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Love me some Mississippi Mud :thumb... and I still dig the trailer.
  10. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 n00b

Oddometer:
    AWESOME idea and congrats on you following through and not giving up on your dream.

Put me on the interested list. I look forward to hearing more around January.
  11. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    Mark me down as interested. I'm still away for a bit longer but this is just what I was looking for.
    Great report and idea.
    Thanks for sharing it with us..
    Stay safe man...
  12. scottyj1

scottyj1 n00b

Oddometer:
    dude,I was reading about your rock quest with your dad,man I love hearin them old stories from back then.I wish I was not born so late as I feel i really missed out on what America once was.
  13. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Any updates?:ear
  14. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Is this thing on?
  15. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Yes, trailrider383, this is still on. Sorry for the late reply, hadn't visited back to this thread in a long time. Having not experienced bringing a new product in to production, Jason and I were a bit optimistic with our projections. Again, sorry.

Things always seem to take more time. On the forth of July I met a most remarkable man from Australia who has worked six years at enabling his wife, paralyzed from the chest down in a motorcycle accident, to ride again. She rode up with her feet strapped to a KTM with two front wheels that track with the rear wheel. Just like riding a bike. He developed a switch-activated means of locking the cantilevering front end to turn the hybrid into a trike when stopped so that one can take their hands off the bars.

Here is their trip thread:.

[​IMG]

I met this remarkable couple because I'm listed here on tent space. If you're a bit of a recluse, like me, it's a cool way to meet new fellow riders in the comfortable surroundings of your own home.
  16. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    3 years

investment from friends and family

Today: Notice of termination of prosecution
    Reason: determination
    Resolution: Notice of Allowance and Issue Fee Due ($1390)

What it means is there among the legal stuff, from my lawyer,"Congratulations on obtaining the patent."

Spud in no longer patent pending. Tie the loose ends and I hold [thank you Lord] a U S Utility Patent.

[​IMG]
  17. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap

in fact for all your hard work I'll throw another one in ... congrats to you and may you sell a bunch of them

:clap
  18. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker

Oddometer:
    Well, there I was, all fat, dumb and happy, and then I ran across this thread. Makes me real glad that I was provided with a broad flat forehead to absorb the energy from the flat of my hand...

So R&D is an eternal thing and if you get an itch to head for the east side of the state (RR here) I'd be honored to accompany you. Of course, You'd have to be careful. Watching a geezer messing around with more poles than bug on it's back and a 35 year old tent, you'd be giggling so bad you'd need suspenders to keep from just floating off. So I raise a tall one in your direction. :slurp
  19. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the production deal with the utility or camper trailer guy?

Any thoughts from him on shelter when the unit is open and it starts to rain?

I need one of these to mount on a sidecar frame :deal
  20. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:

Yes, Jayson of Cozy Cruiser holds the manufacturing rights. I picked up spud II at his shop last week and and will be testing the new top at City of Rocks as soon as I get it done. The shelter top meets the same design criteria as Spud; Dismount bike, retrieve beer, open beer and hold in left hand-- access bed and cargo with right. Top: Dismount bike, retrieve beer, open beer and hold in left hand-- Install top with right hand (no zips, snaps, Velcro, or shock-rods), sip beer, pull rig open with right hand, sit on dry bunk out of rain and finish beer.

I'm thinking of making some long thin signs to post on fence posts like the BermaShave signs I saw as a kid.

Out At The Bar?

Had Too Much Bud?

Don't Drive Drunk!

Snooze In Your Spud.

Idaho Bedroll

Here's a pic of Spud II at the coast last week. I meet a fellow who showed how well the printed word still works at promotion and persuasion.

Met Cliff as I sat in spud watching the sets roll in. He baited me by the handing out of a post card with an exotic Cambodian setting centered around his girl. She, Bulgarian, became his travel companion in the far-east. Cliff watches me flip the card. I ask, "Bunnies?" and puzzle over what I'm reading. [SNAP]

"Well, because you asked." Cliff smiles as he holds up a small packet. "May I take a picture of you with Bunny teeth?"'

[​IMG]

I peel the teeth and slip them under my lip. Bunny teeth smile.

snap

[​IMG]

Cliff's girl.

[​IMG]

It pleases me, this fraternity of motoring odd fellows I find myself among.

[​IMG]

Safe ride, brother.

[​IMG]