Sahara Jacket - perforated Cordura for ultimate warm weather protection

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by teizms, Dec 3, 2012.

1. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello folks,
    We are proud to introduce our most comfortable jacket yet - the Sahara. Features and other details to follow but for starters here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]
  2. Tessitori

Tessitori Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking great, do you have a picture of the pants to match?
  3. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    No matching pants yet... there will be new pants next year - but they will go with a couple of our jackets instead of just one.
    they will be available in perforated and non-perforated versions.

-------

now onto one of my favorite features - the new kidney belt. it does wonders for long-distance comfort.

[​IMG]

large panels and stretch fabric ensure a wide range of bellies can be accommodated.
    [​IMG]

ofcourse its fully removable using two zippers

[​IMG]

Kidney belts keep your innards from shaking around and help support your lower back.
    It really does help you ride longer with less fatigue. Does wonders for off-road riding thanks to the back support. Also helps to keep the back protector in place. Expect this feature to show up in our other high-end products. Air Shell, Navigator and Power Shell now ship with the feature.
  4. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how perforated is this jacket - how much air can it really flow??? Well - almost all the Cordura panels are perforated

[​IMG]
  5. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much?
    Have a shot of the back?
    Water bladder?
    Armor?

Bundy
  6. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    most details to be revealed by tmrw..

A full set of (removable) Sas-Tec armor is included. We always provide their top-of-the line CE Level 2 back protector as standard along with the shoulder and elbow protectors. All test results are provided on our website:
    http://store.teizms.com/sas-tec

The Sas-Tec back protector (an optional upgrade everywhere else)
    [​IMG]
  7. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    A look into the suit features:

• Shell is made entirely from perforated authentic Cordura feature amazing air flow
    • Large SuperFabric panels for ultimate abrasion resistance
    • State of the art Sas-Tec body armor
    - Sas-Tec elbow protectors
    - Sas-Tec shoulder protectors
    - Sas-Tec CE Level 2 back protector
    • Multiple pockets
    - Two waterproof pockets on the front
    - Hand warmer pockets
    - Chest pocket
    - Large waterproof backpack style pocket
    - Clear pocket on the arm
    - Pouch on lower back for additional storage
    • Dual front flap
    • Integrated kidney belt (removable)
    • Comfortable cuff design that allows you to wear gloves inside or out. The cuff is not bulky so it does not interfere with gauntlet style gloves
    • A wide range of adjustability for a tailored fit
    - Adjustable collar (that can stowed for increased airflow)
    - 3 position bicep adjustment
    - 3 position forearm adjustment
    - Adjustable waist
    • Stretch panels on elbows and shoulders
    • Reflective stripes stylishly integrated into the design
    • Collar and sleeve are lined with super-soft materials to prevent chaffing
    • Two connection zippers
    - Short connection zipper for quick attachment /removal
    - Full length 360 degree zipper for optimal protection
    • Optional thermal liner

[​IMG]
  8. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price: $TBD (there will be a special introductory price)

Full custom sizing: $150
    Custom color scheme: $100
  9. kevinj

kevinj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good; will be on my shortlist for next summer.

Unless your early adopter offer is too good to ignore.

And unless you get the kevlar jacket going first.

Keep the innovative spirit alive - great to see products getting better every year :).
  10. kevinj

kevinj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PS I clicked on the Sas-tec link and I noticed that it has expanded and contains more information than your earlier post on the teiz blog. There are now impact measurements for the exact pieces of armor that are used in the jacket. This is very interesting. (I don't understand the color codes on the product images, but I'm guessing these were copy/pasted from some other catalogue and can be ignored.)

I notice that level 2 vs level 1 for the back protector requires halving the residual impact force. I don't quite know what that means in medical terms, but it seems very meaningful and well worth a few extra $$. (Personally I'd be happy to pay for an optional upgrade to full level-2 everywhere.)

Thanks for making this information easy to find.
  11. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I notice in your specs that the jacket has an adjustable collar that can be stowed for extra air flow. Does that mean that it will fit a neck brace with the collar removed? This would be a great feature to have, as more and more people are starting to use neck braces.

Cheers,

Adrian
  12. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    First of - some detailed pictures

rear view (better shot showing profile coming tmrw)
    [​IMG]

Arm Adjustment Snaps:
    [​IMG]

Snap Details - three positions
    [​IMG]

Waterproof rear pouch (open)
    [​IMG]

Clear pocket on arm
    [​IMG]

elbow details showing stretch panel and SuperFabric
    [​IMG]

back details
    [​IMG]

Waterproof front pocket (open)
    [​IMG]

front pocket and the waist adjustment straps
    [​IMG]

shoulder stretch panels
    [​IMG]

rear pouch
    [​IMG]

rear pouch (open)
    [​IMG]

The pictures also highlight the attention to detail and overall quality of this top-class jacket....

Now to answer some questions

It definitely will be

Thats a bit far off... we are still researching and experimenting

thank u for the support :freaky

we always try to be as transparent as possible. Sas-Tec armor is seriously amazing - protective yet comfortable

No. This means the collar can be snapped to the side so the neck strap wont bother you. The above pictures are of a final prototype that is final in every way except the collar and logos. The collar on the production models is exactly same as the Navigator. You can snap it on each side for a comfortable ride and increased airflow. The reason we went with this collar is because when you do decide to layer up, a collar become essential for insulating yourself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why the waterproof pockets esp. the one in the back? Considering your stance on waterproofing, it seems odd to purposely block air. They'd only be useful when using an inner liner. Seems the back one is only going to create a sweaty back:cry

Just curious. Looks like a nice jacket:clap
  14. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    Great looking jacket... Will the large back pocket fit a water bladder? If yes... Can we easily route the hose out of the top of the pocket??
  15. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    grrreat question!

Our stance on waterproofing is unchanged. Even the Navigator jacket, Power Shell & Air Shell have similar pockets. There is so much airflow in this jacket that a little area blocked by the pocket is not making that much of a difference. To ensure airflow is not being limited by much, we have included only one pocket on the chest. The size of the back pocket is not much more than the back protector - again so much airflow around it that it does not have an effect on the ability of the jacket to breathe. However - if you feel that you need more air flow - you can easily snip off the material inside the pocket. some folks have also told us that they fold up the pocket lining instead of snipping it off - so they still have the pocket when they need it. So you do have the versatility there - instead of not having the option at all - without restricting breathability.

So why is the pocket waterproof? Because regardless of how you choose your waterproofing layer, your belongings should stay protected. For e.g water can splash on you or you could be riding through a short shower without rain gear. Keeping your belongs out of the direct airflow protects them from the wind.

To quote WebBikeWorld:
    "I'm really pleased that Teiz has chosen to make the pockets waterproof, even though the jacket itself is not. This way, if you’re caught in a brief shower without a rain suit, the contents of the pockets will stay dry. I have a custom ventilated jacket that uses waterproof liners and none of the jacket pockets are waterproof, so I have to keep small plastic bags readily available if I’m going to stow items in the outer pockets and the weather looks wet."

It was after a lot of thought, research, testing and feedback that we can went with this decision. :freaky
  16. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will it fit? Yes. Is the hose easy to route? Yes
    However, the pocket is a bit large and the bladder may flop around.
  17. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    Price and other details are up:

http://store.teizms.com/sahara

Still fixing the webpage and expect to start taking orders tmrw - which is when we will also reveal the special intro price.
  18. FTBTX

FTBTX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great looking jacket, a good choice for riding in west Texas I'd guess. Question for you though, does the hi-viz version meet the requirements for military personnel?

Thanks,
    Bill
  19. teizms

teizms Long timer

Oddometer:
    from my understanding, the jacket should have hi viz fabrics and 360 degree reflective - so i do think this will be ok. if the requirement is more hi viz fabric - the jacket can be ordered according. Many military personnel wear our hi viz suits on their bases. Hopefully one of them can comment regarding this particular color scheme.
  20. BrainBender

BrainBender Bounty Hunter

Oddometer:
    So a 3XL is only a 46 chest? Then it goes to custom sizing for an extra $150 :eek1? I thought that everything was bigger in Texas,:huh.