Swapping lock cylinder on Givi V46 trunk: how to remove metal sleeve?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by davidji, Jun 3, 2009.

1. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    I have a GIvi V46 monokey top case (two button) and a pair of Givi E-something or other monokey side cases (single button), so I just got a set of 3 same-keyed Givi lock cores.

I tried to put these on the V46 first, as it looked hardest, and if I couldn't change it's lock, doing the other two would have no point--they already share a key.

Removing the core was easy. But the core is mated to a metal sleeve. The new cores came with their own sleeves, and they're different from the one in there now. The new cores won't work properly with the metal sleeve currently in the V46--the lock tumblers are exposed, and the lock could be opened with a stout paperclip. It didn't look like I could extract the old sleeve without a special tool or press. Trying to hammer it out seems like it will break the plastic it's mounted in.

The new lock cores seem exactly like the cores in the E-something or other cases, and I expect that core-swap to be easy. But if I can't get them into the V46, I'm gonna have to return 'em.

Have you replaced the metal lock sleeve on a Givi V46? Or on a different Givi two-button monokey case? How?
  2. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, but I was trying to do this myself and it took me while to figure it out. I didn't see any good answers to this question anywhere so I figured I would post the answer in case someone like me stumbled across this thread.

I have a Givi V46 top case and two Givi E360 side cases. The locks are different in the V46 and E360.

To do this you'll need the following 3 key set: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/204/169/ This has everything you need. The locks in this kit are like the locks in the E360 (i.e. different from the locks in the V46)

When you remove the lock from the V46 you'll see the metal sleeve the lock fits in. This is easily removed by pushing from the inside. I used the handle of small screw driver. Just a few taps and the metal sleeve dropped out.

Now, just replace the metal sleeve with one of the plastic sleeves provided with the 3 key set from above. Now one of the new locks from the 3 key set (which is the same size as the locks for the E360s) will fit right in and you can reassemble the whole thing.

Replacing the existing locks in the E360s is very easy and they already have the plastic sleeves, so you'll end up with 2 extra plastic sleeves from the 3 key kit.

Wallah! You now have 3 bags that can be operated by the same key! And you have plenty of spares as well. :1drink

Hope that helps someone in the future. It would have saved me a few minutes and some head scratching.

And...since no thread is complete without at least 1 picture...here is my 07 GSF1250SA (Bandit) with the above mentioned Givi luggage (all keyed the same as of 10 minutes ago).

[​IMG]
  3. ccherry

ccherry carter

Oddometer:
    your timing is awesome - i pick up my lock set tomorrow and have the same setup as you - v46 and 2 e360s - but on a tiger 1050.......
    thanks much!
  4. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Thats great! Glad I could help. If you have any questions while your doing it please let me know. Also, if you have any feedback on the quality or clarity of the instructions please let me know.
  5. ccherry

ccherry carter

Oddometer:
    well, an interesting experience - my new cylinders are metal, not plastic. the one for the V46 dropped right in. the e360s on the other hand, did't fit. could be that my cases are "aged" but the new cylinders have (had) a length wise ridge on then that the cases didn't have a groove for, so a dremel tool on each took care of that. even with having to improvise a bit, still under an hour to swap all three and remove the document holders.
    thanks again!
  6. gbw

gbw hillbily whisperer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I could see how the V46's sleeve wouldn't fit in the E360. Which lock set did you get? I thought I saw a rekey kit for the V46 and V52 that had the bigger metal sleeve but I cant find a link. All the other rekey kits I see have the plastic sleeves.

Glad you solved the problem though!
  7. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    I guess I must have been afraid to tap it hard enough before. When I went back and did it the other day, it didn't seem like I had to hit the sleeve very hard.

I also have a V46 and 2 E360s. I rarely use the side cases though, and had mostly forgotten about this.

Thanks again.