Austin TX, Dirt Roads within a 100 mile radius and beyond

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by tjrockit, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    Hello folks,

A few of us started a Google Map that has roads marked as dirt or not that are within a 100 mile radius of Austin.
    The map includes markers, pics and commentary from the riders.
    If you would like to help collaborate on the map, send me a PM with your email address and I'll add you to the list.

Here is the area we are currently targeting but if anyone wants to add info on other dirt roads in the Central Texas area, then great. The more info, the better planning for trips. :freaky

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the Google "Hill Country Dirt Roads, Texas Dual Sport Rides" Map

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112716355273119241896.000479b4b905703969e2f&ll=30.798474,-98.261719&spn=1.651432,2.334595&z=8&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>

:deal
    Blue markers are dirt roads.
    Red markers are paved roads.
    Green Thumb tacks are points of interest.
    The squiggles are water crossings.
    -PIC or -VID after a road posting indicates a photo or video

Much of the research of the roads have been of personally riding the roads after comparing the "Roads of Texas" map and Google maps. We started to include paved roads after we explored those areas that we were not sure of so that we wouldn't have to guess anymore if they were dirt or not.

Additional info can be found here:
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44379

If you would like a collaborator to add any info with pics, please just post the road info, your commentary and any pics in this thread and a collaborator will add them.
    Also let us know what it is near so we can find the road easier. :evil

If you are a collaborator, here is a quick reference on how to add pics to the Google map.

[​IMG]

Personally, I like sizing the pics to 350, so you can change the style="width:242px" to style="width:350px"

YouTube Video on how to use the Google Maps

<object height="340" width="560">
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TftFnot5uXw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

How to embed a YouTube video is covered in the video above but here is a quick explanation.

Copy the embed code (shown in the screen shot below), then when you are editing the Google Map, switch to "HTML" editing mode and paste that in and save it and whoa-la, you've got it.

CAUTION: If you edit a posting in "Plain Text or Rich Text" mode that already has a YouTube video embedded in it, you will lose the code for the embedded video and you will need to switch back to the "HTML" mode and re-paste the embed code to correct it.

[​IMG]

Current Weather Forecast for your trip planning. The pic gets updated daily.
    Or go to the website http://www.keyetv.com/weather/

[​IMG]
  2. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    I fall just in your circle, but most of my riding is Bosque county. Lots of dirt roads and water crossings:deal
  3. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Do tell, I'd be interested in knowing some roads up there I could go explore. :D
  4. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Come ride...Going on a Hew Years Day run:deal Meet in Meridian at the Courthouse 12 noon:1drink Prepare to be wet, oh and supper at Loco Coyote which is fantastic food by anyones standards:deal
  5. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Is this the same map as posted on RDS forum? Looks suspiciously the same.

BTW, those are some giant water crossings there. Better bring floatation for the bike to ride those roads...
  6. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm trying to get a few more people who are interested in collaborating on the Google map. :evil
  7. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    I posted the pics of my paved co roads maps over on TWT...here is a link

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=696641#post696641

I don't have any pics of the scenery or such & only know a few of the rd numbers or names.Most of the stuff in Coryell Co is paved as you can see on the map pic.Very entertaining roads though.
  8. tjrockit

Oddometer:
  9. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    I see that Central Texas is still a tuff place to dual sport.

[​IMG]
    15 minutes from my garage

[​IMG]
    40 minutes the other direction

reading this reminded me how much time i spent planning trips that took days to get to riding, that couldn't come close to this. I just wish there was a way to have my Texas friends and this beautiful country together.

cheers.

john marshall
  10. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    I wish that was 15 minutes from my garage!! :eek1

I'm originally from Colorado and I really miss the mountains. I'd love to do the Mexico to Canada TAT sometime while I can still ride. :freaky
  11. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 15 minutes from my house, all the dirt is still privately owned! Of course I bet this guy really misses the big traffic jams and all the warm weather (HA! its 28 degrees as I write this) we have down here. :baldy

He probably has a map project in google maps to track all the paved roads around him...:lol3
  12. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    85 percent of the state is open to the public as public owned and most of the private land owners will let you travel across. 15 thousand miles of recreational trails that you can access for a 10 dollar sticker. I can't believe the outrage over the stickers. If I could just get a good Threadgills meal here or a burger from Dirty's.
  13. RideDualSport.com

RideDualSport.com Zut alors!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome google map! Its a great idea and I use it a lot!
    Cheers
  14. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Glad you're getting use out of it. It's cool to see more and more people starting to find it and contribute. :thumb
  15. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Well, here in Texas, most of the private land owners are NOT interested in having anyone else on their land. There reasons are valid. If people get access to their land, then its only a matter of time before people are dumping stuff there, or having fires and parties and leaving a mess for the owner to pick up. Its really quite sad. It only takes 1 bad apple to ruin the bunch.

$10 for 15,000 sq miles of public land is a good deal. Those fees go to help support the maintenance of the land. We have public land here in Texas, but often its restricted against motorized vehicles. There are a few public places, but you got to get the $8 sticker.
  16. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    This is so true. There was a development that a friend of mine and I used to ride on and every now and then we'd come around a corner and somebody came in with a truck and just unloaded a bunch of garbage. It's ridiculous!! :jerko
    I'd really like to catch someone in the act sometime so I could turn them in to the police and they'd get a heavy fine and forced to go clean up the area including the stuff that other people dumped.
  17. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Dahveed added some great gravel/paved roads from the areas west of Glen Rose toward Stephenville & south towards Walnut Springs so I went in & added even more paved stuff in those & surrounding areas.
  18. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    Fine job!! Thanks!!
  19. tjrockit

Oddometer:
    BTW - I like the coffee cup!! :jkam
  20. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great start... many more great rides to log.

Fossilized dinasaur tracks can be found in a river bed, just off a Farm to Market Road, west of Fort Hood. I can't remember the exact location... it's been too long ago.

... when I saw them, the mud was still wet...