Bay Area Adventure Riders Club

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by T O Double D, Dec 2, 2009.

1. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
  2. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Typical Rick Cooper/BLM behavior-just plow right ahead of any process. Recall he was knocking structures down before he was allowed and ripping up roads as well.
  3. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I was just reading THIS and this part caught my eye:

Access to the Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) is accomplished by obtaining a free Serpentine ACEC access permit for each person in addition to the vehicle use permit; each person is limited to 5 permits per year. This permit allows individuals to enter the Serpentine ACEC for one day. Beginning March 14, 2014 these mandatory individual permits can be obtained at least 48 hours in advance of the date of entry at the Hollister Field Office, via fax, or email from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, except government holidays. Permit cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the permitted date of entry.

So one permit, per person, per day. Obtainable at least two days in advance... Cancelable more than one day in advance... Every rider would need two permits... How many riders would be willing to email permit requests every Monday, make them fill out two permits and email them back, and than cancel them every Thursday, just stating that "I wasn't sure if I was going to ride this weekend, but I wanted to make sure I followed proper procedure"

I'm not sure if it would really cause them to re-evaluate their plan or position, but at least it would be us annoying them for a change...

MV
  4. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    All that BS just to ride a few fire roads. Hell with these people.

I pray that one day, we can go back to being a free nation.
  5. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes this much sense to me. Fuck this. What is this the Soviet Union!?
  6. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    Hey BAARCers,

I promised BAARCer 666 that I'd post a pic ...
    we talked about Catfish's Alpine Lake run later this season ...

[​IMG]

Mr. 666 on the right ... we had about thirty folks show
    up for the MotoGP race, which was EPIC! :clap

Hope to meet some more BAARCers this season ...
    we'll be riding down to Mercey Hot Springs on
    April 5th to camp Saturday night, and will be camping at Hollister Hills
    on April 18th and 19th and riding through Sunday ...

I'm also signed up for the excellent Mendo Rally, April 30 - May 5th ... Even though the first post says "full" mootsuno sez
    people can still sign up and
    camp at the campground just a short walk away ... :deal

And of course, the Sheetiron! May 17-18th ... :ear

see you around the campfire,
    -- SFMCjohn
  7. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    First they take back Ukraine, then the take our land.

"mmmm...Papers Please"
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing if the BLM is doing this then San Benito Co has said yes. If not, then the BLM is asking for a spanking.
  9. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    SBC has not given the BLM permission. The BLM is proceeding without authority as they have from the get go. They think they're in charge.

Latest word is bikes are being checked for turn signals, DOT tires, etc. Make sure your charcoal canister didn't fall off. Be entirely street legal if you go there.

All the problems in this country, and they want to deny the public access to public lands for bullshit, falsified reports of health issues. Is it THAT much trouble to let us ride there? It's not like they maintained it when it was open...
  10. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick Cooper is a criminal.
  11. M N B

Oddometer:
    Damn straight. Robbing the citizens. Committing highway robbery... literally.
  12. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vigilante Justice, Federal Government style.

Rick Cooper is strong arming the general public into knuckling
    under so he can convert Clear Creek into what essentially will
    be the nations biggest toxic waste facility.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  14. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're probably running up the political meter too much for this thread. But final word for me is that perhaps legal action should be considered through a group like Pacific Legal Foundation.
  15. M N B

Oddometer:

Two Board Members have historically been very supportive. And the Board stood up to the BLM a few years back when they tried to close the county roads (i.e.: close roads that aren't theirs).

This may be political, but it directly impacts one of the extremely few areas within 2 hours of my house where I can do some ADV riding.
  16. cxwing

cxwing space duck

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Just a quick message to say hi. I recently took the Rawhyde level 1 class + BCA in Mojave that were simply awesome, and I hope to tag along in one of your rides soon, assuming it's doable on my trusty 1150GSA. I'll be joining you from the Santa Cruz mountains.
  17. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Posted this over in the KLR section, but need some local info if anyone can help.

Looking at some long-shot info here.
    Has anyone rode from the Bay Area down to Death Valley, and how long did it take you?
    And also what route did you take?
    Google Maps is recommending 5 to 58 to 14 to 395. But Hwy 50 over to 395 is only 9 minutes longer and 47 miles shorter. And... I wouldn't have to deal with all the trucks on 5 or 99. This latest weather front is going to make sure that 108 and 120 will stay closed for a while.

I'll be heading down April 8th thru the 15th on a 2008 KLR with plenty of gear.
  18. bluesurf

bluesurf en dos ruedas

Oddometer:
    We rode to Stovepipe Wells from San Jose a couple of years back. Our route was essentially 101 > 152 > 5 > 99 > 168 > 65 > 58 > 14 > 395 > 190, and took about 8 hours to arrive. Riding in to DV at sunset was a slightly surreal experience, especially after the rain/hail/snow on the way there. Also, Jawbone Canyon store on 14 is a great place to stop for gas and a chat with other riders.

Personally, my guidance would be pick the route that excites you the most/roads you haven't ridden, be packed up the night before, and hit the road early.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. GoNotShow

GoNotShow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Time will just depend on how much time you want to spend on slab vs. fun roads. I rode down there last year and it took me 10 hours, but the route was a lot more fun than slab.

This was roughly my route: 101>198>101>58>178>395

You could add more slab at the start, but I highly recommend taking 178 toward Lake Isabella out of Bakersfield. I don't think it adds much time, but it's waaaaay more scenic and fun than slogging east on 58 out of Bako.
  20. stutfl

stutfl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try this, or parts of it.

Highly recommend Old Stage Road out of Porterville and 155 :super.