98 Virago 535

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mikesova, Apr 4, 2013.

1. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    That may be an option, depending how well the chrome cleans up.
  2. CurbTiger

CurbTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those carbs are finicky and don't mess(mod) with the exhaust. Keep it stock and you'll be good. Also, when you're in the carbs, pay careful attention to the main jet/ pilot jet/ "plug that looks like a jet" locations. Maybe one size bigger on the pilot jet to deal with the lean from the factory for emission jetting.
    Getting the carbs off is a pain in the arse. Heat up the rubber boots that go to the frame/airbox real good. Those get pushed up into the frame, then that allows you to pull the carbs outta the manifolds then remove them to one side. Heat is your friend. :1drinkDon't forget to re-seal the manifold to head surfaces. 'Cause you ain't gonna wanna remove the carbs again after you do it once.
    Good luck, I hated working on those bikes.

NE
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then you should try a V4 Honda for fun. Nothing like trying to get four carburetors on at the same time, with them pointing in different directions.

Seriously, Just roll the intake boot up to the frame filter box, and lift each one out. Then lift the carburetor right up and out of the manifold boot. Reverse for reinstallation.
  4. phillyrube

phillyrube Leading Chief

Oddometer:
    Run, don't look back.....
  5. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I was just going to remove the exhaust to clean it up.
  6. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Hey man, check out Chop Cult: http://www.chopcult.com/default.php

I saw one of those bikes in their Japanese section and it looked so cool. I mean really properly done. I can't find the photo, but maybe you can. If not, please check out their Japanese section anyhow, there are tons of great ideas in there.

Personally, I think those handlebars look o.k., but I'm more partial to Biltwell's "Window Bars" myself. There are a couple guys on CC who also build custom handlebars as well. That's the cool thing about customizing, it's all personal taste and individual. No two bikes are exactly alike.

I hope you share plenty of photos of your progress. Don't be afraid to cut that thing up!
  7. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
  8. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Here's what I'm looking at right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the wire bundle on the right hand side of the bike, right above the carbs, there are two wire harnesses sticking out of the bundle. Anybody know what they are? I am thinking maybe 12v accessory hook ups?
  9. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty tight.

You're off to a good start. I liked that commercial. :clap
  10. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    ...I don't know. Something not right about that commercial. The ending didn't make the guy seem very cool. The chick just ripped him off and stole his ride. :lol3

Man, the way she touched that bike though. :eek1
  11. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Why didn't she burn her hands?
  12. CurbTiger

CurbTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HA! I'm well acquainted with the V4 madness of trying to lever those friggin' things back on the spigots. I've resorted to long tire levers and jack handles before. Nice engines though, when they're working right.

NE
    ps Speaking of V4 madness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCYy3gXBIw
    Thread jack done.
  13. ZZ-R Rider

ZZ-R Rider Average Guy

Oddometer:
    That exhaust'd get a couple coats of high-heat black paint, then some wrap on the pipes ahead of the mufflers ... that "lunchbox" tail light would be replaced by either a black or gun-metal Sparto ("limp dick") right quick!

That 535 is gonna be one SWEET ride when yer done!!:clap
  14. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks cleaner than I first thought. It should be possible to build something pretty sweet out of it without chopping it up. I hope those carbs are easier to get to than the look like. Removing the carbs on a Vulcan 750 is a 2 hour job minimum. I never understood why a v-twin needed two carbs. In fact they don't. Many v-twins run just fine with one carb. One of the changes Honda made to the VLX600 in '99 was going from the previous dual carbs to a single carb. The bike still ran the same, but was a whole lot easier to work on.
  15. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I just ordered these raw ones:

[​IMG]
  16. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Carbs out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been doing a little detailing on the thing. It's just in too nice of shape to chop up. I'm going to keep it pretty stock for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, I'm not a huge fan of the exhaust system on this thing. I would prefer something a little simpler. I like the look of the slash cuts, but I hate that black box under the swingarm.
  17. schlitz

schlitz the slow one

Oddometer:
    Yeah. The stock pipes on the 535 are meh AND quieter than the stock pipes on my old Virago 250! I ended up getting a set of MAC pipes. They're pretty much the same as Jardine Rumblers but a couple hundred cheaper. Sounded so much better. :thumb
  18. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I don't WANT louder pipes, I just want simpler/lighter pipes.
  19. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that chamber is there to give the exhaust volume and help with torque production at low rpm.
    The rear pipe would be awfully unbalanced without it.
  20. schlitz

schlitz the slow one

Oddometer:
    The MAC and Jardine pipes are still baffled so they aren't uber loud. Sit at a stop light next to a Harley sporting aftermarket pipes and you might forget your bike is running :lol3