New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I think I may have asked this before, but now I'm ready to replace it, so, how do you remove the tank emblems?

What are they held on with?

Thanks
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Double sided tape. Fishing line back and forth in a sawing motion.
    If it's your crashed tank then not necessary but hair dryer and adhesion remover for tape.
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah, it's the crashed tank, but it cleaned up fairly well except the emblem is totally scraped. Got a perfect one off Ebay, and want to replace it.

I'd like to replace a few more parts that function fine, but not pretty aesthetically.

Right side header and muffler, cam gear cover, and right passenger rear grip. If anybody knows of a used source for these, please let me know.

When I replaced the bars, I used the same BikeMaster Euro bend, except this time I found a NOS set of tapered hand grips ala vintage Triumph style. Feels like there's air inside them, gives it a gel feel with a little vibration absorption. Also found a new set of Napoleon bar end mirrors.
  4. Duelsporter

Duelsporter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably what I used to call "balloon" grips. I used to run them on my bikes until I found Progrip 714's.

On a completely different note, I sure am glad its finally spring!

[​IMG]
    Nokogiri likes this.
  5. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a 650, but I doubt that matters. 200km run today, iPhone pics, so not the best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I'm glad it's spring somewhere. :D Mornings still in the 30's here, our friends a little north had a wintery mix the other day.

Great picture, the red in the field sets off your tank nicely.
  7. Zeon

Zeon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my 1st W650 and love it. but the PO put a huge hack mark in one of the mufflers.

I see that I order the OEM muffler, but is it welded to the exhaust pipe from the engine or is it all one piece? There appears to be a chrome collar hiding the weld mark.

Also, is there anywhere I can get a replica peashooter slip-on exhaust, or am I stuck with OEM if I want something that looks similar.

Replacments are about $400 US so I'm looking for some help here.

Thanks!!!!
  8. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    really, you guys need to stop posting. I sold my '01 after about 15,000 miles and have regretted it ever since. 'No well trimmed Bonnie seems to scratch that itch in quite the same way. They brought like what, 400-500 of these into the states? That means each bike has likely had one or two posts about it at this point. To the guy who has mine: I want it back, cracked rear fender and all. I sold my last Kawie last fall. If the brain trust at Kawie US ever brings this back in, I would be first in line. A bike that is considerably greater than the sum of its parts, you lucky bastards.......
  9. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This really depends on where you are in the world.

For cheap options in the US, we are stuck with hacking the mufflers of and fitting cheap generic replacements like Emgo. I think EMGO does have stuff that may fit, but you need to have a fairly long inlet pipe to clear the rider pegs. The Yahoo W650 group has a folder in the "files" section with some measurements.

Next step up in price would be OEM full exhaust which is $400-450 a side as you have stated..

Finally, there are several Euro or Japanese import options. All are very expensive. $1000-$2500 for full exhaust. Also, I am not sure how much support you get from them or how much it might cost to send them back in case of a problem. International shipping is $$$$

http://japan.webike.net/KAWASAKI/W650/434/mtop/

http://www.w650shop.de/

http://predatormotorsport.co.uk/Kawasaki-W650-1999-2004-2-2-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust-System-Road-Legal/

The only other option that I can think of is having an exhaust shop make some headers out of high quality stainless steel and then trying to find some decent mufflers for a Bonnie or the like. This may be the route I eventually go because my exhaust is rather rough too. Still might not save much over the OEM.
  10. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
    I think it was nearer #1200 ...... Still comparatively rare though :wink:

Seems to be a few for sale this side of the pond - a good 1/2 dozen on eBay at the moment !

Just done a few miles on mine yesterday - weather here is getting better - sunny, dry and hitting +60 F next few days :freaky
  11. Zeon

Zeon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in North America. How's out pipes from a T100 Bonnie?
    I really like the peashooter pipes, as you can tell.
    Anyone know if they would work?
  12. GoonerYoda

GoonerYoda Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer:
    Dude on a sporty parked next to my bike. What happened to not sharing a spot if you don't know the other rider?! :dunno:

[​IMG]

At least I still got to enjoy my Root Beer. :D

[​IMG]
  13. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would not bother me as long as the bike didn't block me in.
  14. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    Agreed, happens all the time at work and it isn't an issue so I wouldn't care if it happened elsewhere.
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Never heard of this, is it a CA thing?

Bikes share spots all the time.
  16. marco83

marco83 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum and I am located at singapore(thanks to google i able to find this forum).

I been riding my w650(ej650A1)for almost 3 year. lately my carb give way and I am looking to buy another set of carb but Japan Kawasaki does not sell ej650a1 carb anymore.

This is the problem, does anyone know whether other model carb(A2,A3,A4)can fit on A1 bike?

Thanks
  17. GoonerYoda

GoonerYoda Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer:
  18. Pigford

Pigford British

Oddometer:
  19. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer

Oddometer:

Not sure. Your best bet really is to join the yahoo W650 group and look in the "Files" area and there is an Exhaust folder in there. A dude over there shows many options and discusses each one. I THINK the T100 mufflers may not have a long enough inlet pipe, not sure.

Off the top of my head, I think these were mentioned and they are not too expensive. Mikes XS. I can not confirm 100% they they will fit, but I do think they have a longer than normal inlet pipe. Check out some of the other options he has too. Obviously all would take a little fab work for brackets and such. Also, I have heard that these may be rather loud.
  20. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Any W650 carb should work, only the jetting may need to be changed. In some countries carbs had electric heaters so that may be an issue. Also, I believe the carbed Triumph Bonnevilles use the same Keihan carbs with only jetting variations.