Final Drive Death

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bemiiten, Jul 11, 2005.

?

How did your failure happen?

1. No notice at all ,left me stranded on the spot.

2. Noticed a problem ,but was able to ride back to civilazation

3. Just checked and felt fine ,but died a few hundred miles later

4. Noticed problem,rode bike hundreds of miles without total failure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:

Thats what is showing i paid...
  2. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Alright now what?? I took mine apart to inspect bearing because of a slow oil leak. These bearings seem fine to me and the seal seems fine as well.

[​IMG]

Could it be the O-ring? Seemed a little flimsy to me. Everything was clean as a whistle inside the housing.. Is there not supposed to be oil beyond the seal for the bearing. Meaning, is the O ring the final sealing point for final drive oil??
  3. Professor Fate

Professor Fate Hand crafted

Oddometer:
    There is indeed oil being held in by the main seal and by the o ring. You would be able to see the oil leaking out of the seal when you take the wheel off. The o ring would leak around the two halves. My bearing didnt seem bad either, but tit was a bit loose. Be sure to lube the oring up and where it slips on. I used vaseline.
  4. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    So are you saying the bearing being just a little loose caused the seal to fail?
    I just finished putting on the new seal. I'm wondering what caused the seal to fail because my bearings seem ok. Time will tell and I'm riding sunday...heres hopin...
    Thanks for the help!!
  5. Professor Fate

Professor Fate Hand crafted

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that maybe when the bearing has enough wear and I am loaded heavy the wheel sits more crooked and oil mayhave an easeir time getting past the lip of the seal when the wheel is cocked. Mine dripped the day I carried a heavy load up a bumpy mountain road.
  6. drdave_2006

drdave_2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My '94 R100GSPD just got a new FD seal. Noticed oil flicked on back rim. Did the job myself straight away. Cost about AU$50. Had done 140k with on problems.
  7. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    Serious question: is this a case of flawed bearing vendors, or a design issue?

Also, is there a corellation between off-road use and failure, or is it simply an "I don't know WHY mine went?"
  8. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    My first 01 gs has 52000 on it with no problems. My second 01 gs just hit 15000 when the seal failed. Both ridden offroad alot. I'm still wondering what would cause the seal to fail when the bearing seemed fine...............seemed fine..Rode hard yesterday with the new seal and no leaky yet...but I did get a nail in my brand spanking new tourance :cry
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Mine failed coming back from Spokane last summer. Two up pulling out of a gas stop when I heard a squishy sound. Oil on the rear tire. Then she dumped her guts. Only had 50, 000 km on the clock. Pulled the rear tire and a piece of bearing cage had cut the seal. Nowhere Saskatchewan 3,500kms from home. Dealer "A" 500kms the wrong way basically told me they were swamped and to piss off. Dealer "B" 1000km the right way said "yeah bring me the bike and we will talke a look".
    Luckily I'm originally from Nowhere Sask and an Uncle "A" with trailer was on site in 3 hours. Uncle "B" knew a Harley shop in Regina with a mech who had BMW experience. Friday AM drop off bike. Friday PM parts shipped by bus from Dealer "B" in Winnipeg. Monday AM scooter is ready. So far so good. Made it back from Ohio and at 61,000 she's still oil tight.
    PS - I thought the Ohio MOA was pretty weak...
  10. Whammo

Whammo Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer:
    Out for a weekend camping trip with the fellas.
    My odo said this
    [​IMG]

The rear end started shaking and rattling violently, so I stopped and saw this.
    [​IMG]

At least I had some nice scenery to look at...
    [​IMG]

...until my ride showed up.
    [​IMG]

The end.
    P.S. Santa Rosa BMW did not cover the repair under warranty.
  11. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    I'm begininng to get the idea that:

1. Replacing the rear bearings and/or seals might simply become part of "regular maintenance"- perhaps around 40,000 miles.

2. At minimum, an inspection every 10,000 - 15,000 miles might be warranted (earlier if the bike is often subjected to heavy loads at low speeds).

3. Do I consider this excessive?

Well, I have been used to inspecting and/or replacing wheel bearings in my HD's for years- just part of the routine, but also one that lent me a secure feeling knowing what I was rolling on.

Also, if parts for the replacement are somewhere around $150, and this happens once every 40,000 miles, say- well, then it's not off par from the expense of a chain-drive bike, without the mess and routine tightening, etc.

Am I being optimistic, stupid, or both?
    SelfPropelledDevo likes this.
  12. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    To answer this if BMW said a new FD or bearing replacement was due by this mileage would you purchase the bike. My answer no. What is your answer?
  13. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    I'm not telling until Monday.

:norton
  14. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you'd buy into changing chains every 12kmi or so or every 6kmi if you go for the cut-rate kind (between $50 and $160 bucks) and sprockets ($120 to $200) every 30kmi or so... A rear bearing every 40kmi doesn't sound so bad. The trick is, as XpadreX mentioned, to buy into preventative maintenance. That part of your intuition that says "maintenance free" is too good to be true...you ought to listen to that more than marketing hype.

In fact, bemitten...shouldn't there also be survey about chains breaking, leaving their riders stranded?
  15. ktmhk53

ktmhk53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings DriveShaft,
    Wouldn't the more appropriate question be:
    What other brands of motorcycles with shaft-drives are having the same/greater failure rate at the mileage we're seeing BMWs fail?

:hide

Respectfully,

ktmhk53
  16. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hiya, KTMer. Actually, I don't find it more appropriate. Of course it'd be nice if it were longer. It does suck if the GS bearings seem to have a larger failure rate, at lower miles than the RS, or others. But still...the question was whether we'd mind it if we were told that we needed to do a final drive bearing swap at 40kmi as routine maintenance.

I was perfectly happy replacing chains and sprockets in those intervals, and with those costs before considering a driveshafted ride. Considering what I used to deal with, with my Yammies and Hondas ($400 in chains and sprockets every 36kmi or so, and going through end-of-life 3 times in the same timespan) , I didn't mind the idea of a $150 bearing that might only last 40kmi (or in some cases...much longer). Doing the math, it'd still saved me time and money.
  17. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hey Whammo,
    I'd talk to BMW NA about this one....they should at least cover the parts...
    36K on what, an '02 GS Adv.?
    Isn't it a 3 year 36K warranty
    Either way the worst NA could do is say no.
    Pricks!

Cheers,
    Jorge
  18. ktmhk53

ktmhk53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings again DriveShaft,
    Good points!
    I'm still a bit concerned though, as I know of no other shaft-drive motorcycle with such a problematic FD bearing, or one for which there is a recommended service interval.
    I still wish BMW would fix the design/component problem once and for all, even if it increased the bike's cost slightly. I'm not expecting this bearing to go 500K, but I feel they should/could increase its average life expectancy at least 3-fold if they wanted to.

Sincerely,

ktmhk53
  19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your prices are a little off as is the mileage. I rear bearing causing a breakdown in boo foo egypt and repaired at dealer every 40k is way too much....and this is after following the bmw maint schedule,,,there is nothing maintenance free or even maintenance cheap about anything with a BMW roundel!
  20. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know of another either, and I agree with the thought that other shaft drive bikes have better track records. Although, I've heard of plenty of Goldwing final drive u-joints, boots, steering head bearings, pulse coils, too. Everybody thinks they're in the worst bucket, because, that's of course the one that gives them pain.

Personally, it's the variance I'd like to see reduced. The average life expectancy I would say is quite a bit higher than the numbers being tossed around here. Not even considering the quiet masses that don't give a damn about this site, just look at the numbers people bothered to post:

-- 57kmi, NO problems
    -- 42kmi, first problem
    -- 15kmi, NO problems
    -- 56kmi, NO problems
    -- 30kmi, first problem
    -- 47kmi, NO problems
    -- 71kmi, NO problems
    -- 93kmi, NO problems
    -- 3 bikes, NO problems
    -- 140kmi, NO problems
    -- 52kmi, NO problems
    -- 87kmi, first problem
    -- 15kmi, first problem
    -- 50kmi, first problem
    -- 36kmi, first problem
    -- 60kmi, no problems (my experience)

There are 15,000+ advriders, quite a few of whom own GS's. We've managed to produce less than 40 responses. With all the piss and vinegar in some of these members, I half expected a larger turn out.