Adventure Designs Tool Kit Opinion

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by toyocruiser, Jun 15, 2010.

1. toyocruiser

toyocruiser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Considering purchase of an ultimate compact R1200GS tool kit.
    Has any one purchased or used this kit??
    Thanks for the reply.
  2. uliman

uliman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap yup, i got one, pretty compact and complete kind of spendy but worth it to me. this set always stays on the bike along with pump and tire repair kit. i use my other tools at home but this kit stays as is on the bike so i always have a complete set with me. :D
  3. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
    I have one and like it. Most complete solution I found.
  4. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a web link?
  5. Stepnoi

Stepnoi n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone post the picture of this kit?:bow
  6. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have one and thinks it the best available.
  7. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I am not sure why that kit is $199.
  8. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    It saves you trying to find all the individual components. For example - many of the individual bits would come as part of a set.

You're right that with some research you could find and build one of these yourself for possibly a cheaper price. Or you could harvest the parts from your toolkit in the garage... but then you have to keep accessing it for routine work at home.

Call me lazy, but I think it's a good deal.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    For those not wanting to spend the time looking for the tools, the kit is fine, though made in China.

If you do not mind Chinese tools, you can find all of what you need, with lots of extra tools to boot, at Harbor Frieght for about half. Spend $20 on a tool roll, and you are done.

Here is a good reference: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

Note that my reference has two levels of kit.

Jim :brow

PS I do like the ratchet handle set-up on that kit though.
  10. Blane

Blane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only thing I need (want) is the break apart ratchet. Anyone know where I could source this out?
  11. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    I've had a F800 version for a little over a year now and am in the process of upgrading it to work for my new 1200GS.

The tools are cheap and the chrome plating is thin but it does the job. I've had two 3/8 > 1/4" ratchet adapters where the little ball retainer popped out but in both cases the company sent a replacement no charge.

I keep mine in a micro Pelican case about 6x10" of so and do ALL my repairs with it. The one socket that did not work well is the oil plug socket on the F800GS; it's a thin nut and the bevel of the socket face makes it easy to slip and mar the top.

Pricey maybe but convenient for sure. If you've go the bucks it's a good buy, if you're short on money and have the time you can do it yourself.

RobStar
  12. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    I agree, the ratchet with detachable handle is sweet, I'd like one of those too.

For the rest, I usually go with Craftsman. That way I know that it likely won't break or split on me, but if it does, I can get it replaced anywhere. I also like the lines from Checker or AutoZone. They also have a lifetime warranty and the tools hold up well.

I'm not trying to disrespect Adventure Designs...I just think I have way less invested in the same tools, but higher quality.
  13. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The only problem with that kit is that it is not specifically designed for the GS, so it lacks some tools, and has some you don't need. The packaging is very nice though.

Jim :brow
  15. sh2515

sh2515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  16. jeffjbmw

jeffjbmw Threadkiller

Oddometer:
    Some people have taken a different approach. They change some of the odd stuff to more common hardware. I have a GPS mount on my handlebars so the external torx for that are eliminated. I use the L10241 Purolator. So no special oil filter wrench. And some of that stuff is nice ideas that can be copped for pennies.

I also really like the stubby ratchet with the extension.
  17. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    +2
  19. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior

Oddometer:
  20. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blane:
    ["The only thing I need (want) is the break apart ratchet. Anyone know where I could source this out?"]

SR1:
    ["I am not sure why that kit is $199"]
    Chinese toolkit here for $19: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5259/119/
    Crartsman version of the above for $40 is U.S.A made, also has zipper case. Best sockets are thin-walled like snap-on, proto, Mac, are 6 point with maybe an extra 12 point 10 mm, but a full set of premium sockets isn't necessary for the road. Found that it was best to buy individual sockets and spanners sized for specific tasks. Kept track of specific tools used for service then included those in custom road kit.

Forged aluminum like the Motion-Pro stuff is worth the bucks. Up to 90 ft-lbs torque. Was looking at their forged Al long tire spoons w/6 point spanner box ends. Nice. Anybody work for NASA? Group buy on a titanium kit?

Chinese bits and spanners damage fasteners, are available for $1 and not worth that much. The wrenches are polished by child slave labor and the kids are fed only meager servings of tofu once every 12 hours. Snap-on on ratchet head is dam nice but we use 1/4" drive the most. Instead prefer to carry good breake/Tr bars and cheap modular ratchet drivers on the road. Anybody know if forged AL t-bars are available? Would be interested in Snap-On wrenches but only the Harley Davidson© branded ones (smile).

Best Snap-on product:
    has (had) a really strong hex bit set and single mating socket driver. Saves on carrying the individual he/torxx bits set in their own heavy sockets. However, you only need the higher strength in the larger bit sizes. Small fasteners not so much. I have only seen the compact Snap-On hex bit set once. Would buy it in a heartbeat because it saves much weight by eliminating individual socket drive bases yet still capable of very high torque. Otherwise just use Vermont American or other high grade bits and carry the lager size bits set in the 3/8" dive sockets. Rectangular rubber bit blocks keep the bits organized.

edit for link: JurgenB said: "I happen to prefer the Made in Germany stuff (Hazet brand)."
    + 10: Hazet wrenches are light, thin and strong and just the right length as any airhead rider knows. They are the one thing that I would buy at the BMW dealer if I could not find elsewhere. Check fleabay and bone yards. OEM on older Mercedes too.