The Ultimate 2300 Mile 12 Day Big Duelie Ride Thru VT, NH, ME & NB Canada In The Fall

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DockingPilot, Dec 4, 2009.

1. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't own a GPS yet,but hope to have one soon;and have kind of a dumb question for your guys. How do you program a route like this into it? Is it relatively easy? Where do you go do download the route? I live in R.I.,just bought my first GSA and have the time to do this route,so if there's anyone in the area that would like to hook up for some riding,fell free to contact me.:freaky
  2. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    there is a link back in this thread to download the route or over in the east tracks section Frank posted the link again

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548743
  3. themobb

themobb Is this thing on???

Oddometer:
    Great Report, Thanks! :clap :clap :clap

We were in Maine last summer at my father-in-law's place north of Bangor. I've seen a lot of the places you went by in NH, ME, NB but my wife and I are currently riding Goldwings, so we saw them from the Paved Road! :norton

Anyway, reading this and seeing all of the great riding that is available up there, I guess I need to get another dirt bike. I sold my DRZ400E several years ago. I guess I need a KTM 690E now!!! See you next summer.

BTW: Thanks for putting together the GDB file. I know that was a lot of work. I'm just not used to seeing all those waypoints "out in the middle of nowhere!) :evil

Lance
  4. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DAMN, is it live, or is it Memorex!? Helluva ride guys, WAY enjoyed following along, esp. since S. Jersey is asshole deep to a giraffe in snow right now!:clap :clap:thumbup:thumbup I meant to ask,DP I'm 6'1" about 250, do you think the 800 can handle my big ass, or should I get a 1200GS?
  5. Jimmym1296

Jimmym1296 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, another great RR Frank, thank you. It's snowing and blowing like crazy here so your story kept me entertained this afternoon, especially with the kids home from school.
  6. Boottrac

Boottrac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance of getting your route would like to try some probaly not the entire trip, but it looks like a lot of good intermediate level riding, the trestle part looked very scenic.
  7. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    The route is posted up around page 15 and/or 16 of the road. Frank had asked if someone could host it online for d/l and I have it set up for him.

You should be able to grab it from here:

http://mcghienh.com/ADV/dockingpilot.gdb

Have a great day... and enjoy...
  8. Bluesjammer

Bluesjammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Frank, again great report. Man what great roads and colors you guys nailed it!!!!!! As I transition back to my dirt early days I was wondering can a 1200GS fit through some of the tight spots you guys got into with those big JUGS (:lol3 )hanging out. I've always wanted to do Alaska, but now the great north east is on my bucket list too. Thanks again for sharing this with us all, I know it's a lot of work to put together.

Steve
  9. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,
    Yes, a boxer GS can ride this route, no problem as long as you had some experience and the right tire.
  10. Boondoggle

Boondoggle Nihilism Matters!

Oddometer:
    DP- thanks again for the great ride report- it was one of the things that kept me motivated to get up there last week. I met up with some buddies who were ATV'ing in Jackman- I had forgotten just how damn BIG that part of the world is.
    [​IMG]
  11. SpenserpVT

SpenserpVT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I notice that your GPS route ends at the border reentering Maine from New Brunswick. What route did you take from there? More dirt, or did you take some highway back home?
  12. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    We worked our way southeasterly through Maine, NH and Vermont on county paved roads.
  13. SpenserpVT

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Studying the map, I have realized that most of the roads toward the coastline are pretty well developed (paved). It appears that in order to stay on dirt for the return trip, I would have to head north a bit before steering west back to Vermont. Maybe I could just head northwest from Acadia NP, connect back up with the route and ride the first part backwards...
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Yes Kilt. That was towards the end of the trip so it was getting more civilized. Lets see, from where we first hit the shore in Ca it turned paved. Niced but paved, to the Wilderness Lodge, then it was offroad south to St. Johns. But going counterclock wise from Blackville going west, its all 100% offroad. If your going to ride thid feel free to pm me and we'll talk to make sure you got it right.
  15. pgods

pgods Godspeed rider

Oddometer:
    Frank,
    This is one of the best RR I have ever read! You found miles of absolute wilderness - and I thought eastern North America was all but paved?? Simply beautiful.Your RR will make every street rider trade his/ her road bike for something with knobbies!
    I'm truly envious.
  16. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    riders in Maine be warned--- logging truck drivers are getting upset with motorcyclist who don't pull over and give the truck the center of a crowned road surface and are calling the sheriff on the riders and tickets are being given out...:deal
  17. SpenserpVT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! Probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but I guess the idea would come to mind when a log truck is coming head-on toward me in the center of the road!:eek1
  18. TK-LA

TK-LA SoCal Rider

Oddometer:
    ...and to chime in on an old thread.

I'm originally from Maine and I'll tell ya', in 30+ years living there I never took those fall colors for granted. Amazed me every autumn.

And this stupid RR is making me want to move back.:cry
  19. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting this. Just another great area to ride in, like there is a lack of places and reasons to ride :D

All the best
    Yellowknife
  20. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    just read it for the second time...what a great RR!

Did you ever post up the route as a gps file? If so I would love a copy!!