GSA tank bag... BMW original or "other"

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by cclawman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    So far I'm liking my Wolfman Explorer Lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

2. AZuwere

AZuwere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SW Moto City bag. Love not having to deal with straps for a change. Didn't go electrified, something about gas fumes and electricity don't mix in my brain.
  3. Blinkxs

Blinkxs n00b

Oddometer:
    Standard BMW GS small tank bag bought early in 2011 Its has ben used practically every day and hasnt turned yellow. I dont like big tank bags because I find that they get it the way. This one is just big enough for my autocom, 12v socket for charging stuff on the move, wallet, docs, spare gloves sunglasses and a visor cleaning kit then its full. :rayof:rayof
  4. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I have the large motech GS bag and it is fantastic. Never in the way regardless of what riding I do. It has space, multiple pockets, an easy access map holder and the quick disconnect works like a charm. I've had 3 different bags and this is the best by far.
  5. nameisdam

nameisdam Ride'm while you can

Oddometer:
    Between the 1150GS and now the 1200 have had several.
    Currently running the Wolfman Rainier.
    It has the side pockets, easily flips back for fuel, and is a good size.
    Map plastic doesn't yellow and a whole lot less $$ than OEM.
    Yes, I know it's not waterproof, but spray it occasionally and worst case, the rain cover works, stays on at speed, and stores in it's own pouch.

At the last bag change, it was between this one, RKA, and Held.
    The Wolfman tipped the scale for a middle of the road footprint.
  6. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No worries about gas fumes/electricity. The connection to the battery has a magnetic switch that kills power to the collar when the bag is removed.

Mike
  7. DRanger

DRanger Rockerville Rider

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Wolfman that I've used on my current 09 and previous 07 GS. Well made product. As far as scuffing paint, I haven't had that problem. Following Wolfman recommendations, I wax the tank a couple of times a year, and also wipe down the underside of the bag with a wet rag after riding in dusty environment. I spray 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic undercoating when it's time to wax.
  8. Timber2wolf

Timber2wolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about using the electrified bags connection with either an 1120 or 1150 pelican case. Has any one done this before and how did you like the results?
  9. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got my small BMW bag installed and am not crazy about it. In hindsight I'd opt for an aftermarket bag. I didn't want something too big and for a 5 liter bag it is quite bulky. The rear zipper mount takes getting used to as well.
  10. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Got the BMW factory expandable tank bag on my '08 GS. The bag is generally decent, waterproof if I remember to close up the inner bag, and cavernous when I expand it. But--the zipper pulls have all broken off, I had to replace them with aftermarket pulls or keychain rings. The elastic bands holding the rear removable pouch are stretching out so the pouch hangs pretty loosely. The clear map case cover on top is not so clear anymore and a bit yellowed, but I can still see a map through it. Of course it fits the bike perfectly, and looks like it will last another three or four years, at least.
  11. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    (This is the smaller of two versions):

[​IMG]
  12. dzeck

dzeck Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used a Marsee teardrop bag with electric cabled to a powerlet outlet - a strapped setup. Sits high, a little small but a nice product.
    http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/4894/MarseeTankBags2

Touratech day bag works well and the TT mounting system is one of the best. Their zipper levers are known to break - happened to me too. Not cheap.

I find the BMW bag zipper-attachment system a PITA compared to Marsee or Wolfman straps or the TT hook/velcro setup.

The Wolfman Rainier is on my bike more than any other. Just about the right size for what I usually carry and the right amount of pockets, beefy zippers and is made very well. Strap mounting is secure and the bag does not move around much.

Have not tried an RKA but many adv'ers like them.

All of these can be powered. I put a powerlet outlet on the left fairing just behind the windscreen winglet and use a short right angle + SAE cable to a port mounted on the bags.

hope this helps.
  13. RobStar

RobStar Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer:
    No one tank bag.. what I call the "Moto Purse" works for everything for me.

I started with and still use the RKA on my GSA. It's the smallest and least obtrusive. However, for Motor-Marshaling the pro bike races I have to carry a lot more crap in the bag as in radio, lunch, water, snacks etc. so for that I use the medium BMW bag as it's much more waterproof as well.

I saw a Wolfman on someone's bike this weekend and it looked pretty nice but I don't know how water resistant it is. The challenge during the bike race is there's little if any time to stop and pee much less get out a cover of some sort and put it over it.

RobStar
  14. Ranger159

Ranger159 That'll Do DONKEY!

Oddometer:
    My compass broke, so I'm not sure where I am!
    Like one of the earlier posters, I also have a GL Diablo, price was reasonable, and the sizes is perfect (for myself) to stow a few odds and ends that I don't want to fish out of my jacket or boxes. I have ridden through a few biblical rainfalls, the last one was 320 miles/ 6 hours of this "really" sucks :twitch meshed with complete goretex failure via seams, Velcro and zippers. However once I made it home, my tank bag had zero signs of water infiltration, not "a" one :happay. I have little experience with other makes, but I'll swear by my GL bag, and its not obtrusive.

A few pics when i first put it on, so far the clear top has retained its transparency, but is only been on the bike for the last part of summer and into fall/winter. I did have a problem with some stitching on a webbing keeper, but the guys at GL, replaced it very quickly and without question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Rider351

Rider351 T.Dude

Oddometer:
    The Bags Connection guys are great to work with and their gear is great - especillay the gas cap quick release mount.

Super quality and very reliable.

T
  16. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any more pics from further away/how it's mounted/attached? :D

17. Ranger159

Ranger159 That'll Do DONKEY!

Oddometer:
    My compass broke, so I'm not sure where I am!

Check your PM folder, I sent you some pics of mounting to the frame, I'll take some high res pics if you like, just let me know. :D
  18. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you but I have no pm from you :confused
  19. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I forwarded the pm'd pics to mstone -- as I tried without any immediate success (my best interfered with the seat), any pics that show where/how you looped to the frame would be most appreciated. :ear
  20. Donkey

Donkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got them, thank you. :D