DR650SE information index- what say ye?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Krusty ..., Feb 9, 2010.

?

Do we need a DR650SE information index?

1. In a word- yes. In two words- hell, yes! Do it.

2. No. It ain't broke, don't fix it...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: Rather than try to dissect and mine the DR650 mega-thread, I've started a few threads, each devoted to a different category. Sort of a file cabinet. Everyone is encouraged to add useful content to these threads.

DR650SE INFORMATION THREAD LIST
    Topic #1- CONTROLS/INSTRUMENTATION
    Topic #2- SEATS
    Topic #3- CRASH PROTECTION
    Topic #4- SUSPENSION/CHASSIS
    Topic #5- BRAKES
    Topic #6- TIRES, TUBES & WHEELS
    Topic #7- BODYWORK/WINDSCREENS
    Topic #8- FUEL
    Topic #9- ELECTRICAL/LIGHTING
    Topic #10-CARBURETOR/INTAKE
    Topic #11-EXHAUST
    Topic #12-ENGINE/CHAINS & SPROCKETS
    Topic #13-PROBLEMS/FAILURES
    Topic #14-LUGGAGE & RACKS/ACCESSORIES
    Topic #15-LINKS, WRITE-UPS, & PICTORIALS

[Or, we could call it "'The DR650 Thread' Thread"...]

At over 31,500+ replies, "The DR650 Thread" is a little daunting, particularly for new DR owners, or those thinking of getting one.

On one hand, most of The DR650 Thread "regulars" are a helpful bunch, and nobody really seems to mind answering the same questions again and again.

On the other hand, there's a lot of information in there- how to posts-complete with pics, upgrades, ideas, etc. Sometimes, easily finding what you need in there can be a little frustrating.

I have some ideas for putting together an information index, primarily culled from posts in The DR650 Thread, but certainly not limited to that one source. I don't mind putting in some time to organize it [provided a few (dozen?) members will also step up and help mine the data], but before I even look down that road, I'd like to hear from the DR650 crowd...

Do we even need this?
    Kiwi Mo and XT Traveler like this.
  2. Wolfdog

Wolfdog Not Scared

Oddometer:
    Yes we do, as it will be of benefit to all of the DR community.

I would love to offer assistance if I knew what to do, but Im extremely basic when it comes to computers and would cause more grief than good.

This task would be best handled by those that are confident and competent with a computer.

I totaly support the idea and hope you can find someone to assist you with this task.
  3. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    great idea. good luck
  4. zebra03

zebra03 Banned

Oddometer:
    yes indeed
  5. DirtyDR650

DirtyDR650 Mud Lover

Oddometer:
    There is an alternative in my sig. Quite a lot of new folks signing up lately and activity is rising nicely. Of course it's no threat to ADVrider whether this actually happens or not. But a lot of folks (including me) see the potential in the new site and like the idea of a DR650-only forum.
    What's not to like? It's a free choice, and we're there for all DR650 riders who choose to be part of the new family. :thumb
  6. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    I think if this is something we can do without involving the moderators it is a good idea, I have absolutley no reason to suck up to the mod's and anybody that knows me can attest to the fact that ass kissing is not one of my well developed skills, but I truly believe that they do a good job and in most cases go above and beyond the call of duty. They seem to put up with a lot of shit that they don't deserve. Why do we need picture threads for dr's, dr windshields, dr's off road, dr sumo's, etc. etc.. Lets try to get everything in one indexed thread where things can be found easier without burdening the site or it's administrators, were are all big boys.

And by the way, I don't like thumper talk

Pat
  7. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I enjoy the site the was it is and can't complain. Though the index might be a good idea. Mostly would depend on how it was done and the effort needed to do it. The mods here do a good job, are volunteers and quite likely don't need the extra work and headaches.
  8. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    Great idea, hope it works out for you. Maybe one of you guys who isnt busy riding his DR can start catagorizing the the gravy from the spam. :D
    Another forum is out of the question, and yes, Thumper Talk sucks! Baldy rules :bow. If i want to look at advertizing, ill watch tv.
  9. craigman

craigman Just one of those PATRA guys

Oddometer:
    That would be great .The other day was searching for the electronic fix that requires lock tite on a set of tiny bolts and still haven't found what I was looking for!

I vote PLEASE!
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Pick 20 pages at random and you'll get answers to 95+% of the questions most people ever have. :dunno
  11. grub

grub Requires Supervision

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. Krusty ...

Oddometer:
    i'd likely get 20 oil posts... :bluduh
    Dad likes this.
  13. Tramontana

Tramontana .

Oddometer:
    An indexed, and categorized DR650 specific thread would be AWESOME, however it would take a LOT of work to keep the needed material up at the top. Without MOD powers, wouldn't all of the editing need to be the OP's responsibility?

I do like that we have such a long-lived, and prolific thread, dedicated to DR chatter, parts, mods and all, and wouldn't want to detract from the ongoing weblog.

My $0.02 in a down economy...

Cheers! :freaky
  14. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This topic has been discussed many times and GB lays it out pretty clear here, Any thoughts on making a DR650 forum?.

A thread like this has been started at least once, DR650 Accessories. But as soon as the OP looses interest the thread dies. It's quite a commitment.

Good luck.
  15. Krusty ...

Oddometer:
    I'm a member of that forum. I'm in no way proposing this idea as a threat to your site. I'm happy to hear your site is gaining in popularity. Someday, your bike-specific forum might be where folks go to find DR650 info. I think that would be OK.

BUT... right now, there's a heap of answers already there. It could be easier for people to access. If this index idea takes off, I'll put links to it on your site myself :deal. And the wiki, too.

This idea isn't meant to diminish the DR650 Thread, either. I check that thread at least once a day. The DR subforum at TT, I might check once a week. There's kind of of a compelling fascination seeing our thread grow... and grow...

The only thing I'd ask of the mods is to put the proposed DR650 index in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366046 with the other bike specific index threads.

The index would be in the Bike Specific Index thread that's stickied at the top of the Thumper page.

Once the existing posts have been indexed, keeping up with the subsequent posts and links would be a piece of cake, relatively speaking...
  16. DirtyDR650

DirtyDR650 Mud Lover

Oddometer:
    I think we're on the same page, Krusty. :thumb I, too, check in The DR650 Thread at least once a day. I've asked a lot of questions there, and gotten a lot of answers from some very helpful and knowledgable folks whose mechanical and fabrications skills, speaking as a wrencher and fabber myself, I have much respect for. :bow

I have no desire to diminish that thread in any way, and I'll continue to visit and hopefully contribute there. It's networking amongst fellow DR650 lovers and I'm all for it. Which is also why I'm enthusiastic about The DR650 Forum in my sig... the more networking the better. One doesn't take away from the other or vice-versa, they are two completely different contextual forms that share much of the same information.

Though I honestly don't understand some of the comments that indexing that information could somehow put our network at risk, or the one comment there that it would threaten friendships... Huh? :huh Someone else said that another forum is "out of the question". Really? Why? :dunno

So yeah by all means, I'm for anything that would make all the invaluable DR650 info more easily accessible, and that includes doing what you are asking here, and/or contributing to the forum linked below. Or both. I'm just glad that we have multiple choices. (edit: it's not really my forum, I'm just a mod there)

Btw, thanks for your contributions over there, and that goes for the rest of ya'll too. :beer
  17. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the effort Krusty!

I've followed the DR thread for a couple years, read quite a bit but not even close to 100% People come and go, new guys arrive everyday, so the Index makes perfect sense as a quick reference for Noobs and old hands alike.

Hey, our very own Wiki !
  18. Krusty ...

Oddometer:
    Bump...
  19. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    I like...cut out allot of clutter from the main thread.
  20. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    An index would be nice, but I'm not offering to do it and I guarantee that none of the site managemnt is going to do it....It would have to be a community effort...as it SHOULD be.

Since I'm not volnteering, I'm satisfied to live with it as it is.

I have a diverse stable of bikes and ADV is the only forum I can stand to spend time at. When I was in the market for a Harley to meet my specific needs, the information here was better than any received elsewhere.

Back to DR's, I almost never go to TT, this site has a better perspective and better cast of characters................just sayin'