9 Horses of Fury...A Zuma 125 on the Loose

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Feb 18, 2011.

1. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Really? I had no idea. I will give it a try when I get home.
  2. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Yep, there is a steering head lock. I had no idea.

Thanks!!!
  3. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Well the Zuma now has some competition for ultimate fun vehicle in the family. We picked this up over the weekend!:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cbolling, the zuma will win out in the end, that inline 4.0 sux too much gas!
  5. ScooterPapa

ScooterPapa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1, I had to sell the '07 Wrangler, between the standard "Guzzling"they do and the giant tires I had to have on it, mileage was somewhere around 10 mpg (that and the fact that GrandBabies can't buckle themselves into their car seats in the back, what a pain to get them in and out of the back seat). Scooter wins! :D
  6. cbolling

Oddometer:
    I decided to take the Zuma after the Upstate SC tag on Sunday. The tag was at Erskine which is a small college in Due West, SC. It was about a 100 mile round trip and the Zuma handled it wonderfully.

Here is the route that I took.

[​IMG]

A couple pictures of the tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Here a few pictures I took along the way.

[​IMG]
  8. cbolling

Oddometer:
  9. cbolling

Oddometer:
  10. leadfoot_mf

leadfoot_mf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    whats the mileage at now? I am also looking to join the scooter world. so many choices keep leaning towards a zuma.
  11. cbolling

Oddometer:
    I got 74 on my last tank. Still only have about 1500 miles on the scooter. The mileage seems to be creeping up with each tank. I keep track of it on Fuelly.com and my mileage trend is getting better as I get more miles on the bike.

I hope to see a consistent 80 mpg but I am 6'1" 215 lbs so I make a pretty good barn door impression going down the road and may never hit it.
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey,I know you.Ok,so I don't know you know you,but we have passed each other on hwy 8 going up Ceasars Head.I was on a blacked out Zuk GS5 wearing all black crash gear.I noticed your scoot because I like the color an it's the only dual head light scoot I've seen in our area.I live in north Spartanburg off exit 10 on I-26.That's almost in NC.Hwy 11 comes out behind my house between Campobello and New Prospect.So,yeah,we ain't fur apart.:clap

The reason I quoted your pics was to share a story with you.When I was growing up in the late 70's early 80's,we had a lot of people move into the trailer park behind my house(I still own said property).They all hooked up to septic systems and then we had an extremely wet year.Our wells became contaminated with sewer water.It was way to expensive for my family to connect to city water.Heck,it wasn't even piped into my neighbor hood at that time.Weekend trips clued us into that water source.We would take a pick up truck, with the bed full of clean empty milk jugs, and fill them up there.There used to be a sign there that has something on it about using the water.I can't remember what it said.It's been 25+ years since we did that last.

Now I have a question.Could you fill me in on this tagging game you are involved with.It sounds shady,under handed,and mobster type of illegal.J/K I don't quite understand how it works or how to get in it.I need rules and regs,please. :deal
  13. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    I've passed that spring head dozens of times on various motorcycles. Look for a black Tiger 1050 most recently. I have a strange lust and fascination for the Zuma 125. How does it handle on crappy loose gravel roads with ruts and stutter bumps in places? Like Persimmon Ridge Road for example?
  14. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Well the easy answer is to just read the rules on the 1st post of the Tag threads, but I will give you a quick summary. There are 2 games that I play in regularly.

SC Tag-O-Rama

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426382

and Upstate-Tag-O-Rama

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580499

How to get started: Look at the end of the thread and find out what the current tag is. This will be a pic of someones motorcycle in front of some sort of landmark. You then have to figure out where this pic was taken and then ride your bike to that place and replicate the pic as best you can with your bike. Sometimes figuring out where the tag is, is harder that riding to it.

The 1st person to upload a pic of their bike in front of this landmark wins. This is where smartphones really help. If you cannot load the pic remotely then you run the risk of getting "Bruced." This means that you took your pic before someone else but while you were riding back to your house to upload the pic from your home computer someone else took a pic and uploaded it before you did.

Ok so now that you won the tag you have to put up a new one. Again this will be a pic of your bike in front of something that is inside the borders of the game. Give a few clues and let everyone else try to find your tag.

Both games are very similar with just a few differences:

Borders:

State Game is anywhere inside the state of South Carolina.

Upstate Game is inside of South Carolina but north of 20 and west of 77.

Posting a New Pic:

State game you have 24 hours to put up a new pic after grabbing a tag.

Upstate game you have 6 hours to put up a new pic after grabbing a tag.

One more tip: If you want to play start taking pics of your bike in front of interesting things. You can use old photos to place a tag so it is nice to have some ready to put up after you grab a tag. (you cannot use these old photos to grab a tag, if for instance someone else puts up a tag of something you have already taken a pic of your bike in front of.) You stll have to ride out there and take a new pic.

Anymore questions just let me know and welcome to the game.
  15. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Well it probably handles better than most scooters offroad but it still only has 12" wheels so they are not really good for going over much. The rear suspension does not have a lot of travel so it will bounce your ass up in the air pretty quickly.

Still if is a shit load of fun to ride.:lol3
  16. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    Sorry if you've covered it, but any off road trips :ear/gravel
  17. cbolling

Oddometer:
  18. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info.I'll dig into that deeper.
  19. cbolling

Oddometer:
    Well as of a couple hours ago I am officially a scooter only rider. I have had a 2001 Honda Shadow ACE since early 2006. During that time I put about 25k on the Shadow. It was a great bike that took me on a lot of great rides.

The only problem with the Shadow was the acquiring of the Zuma.:lol3

I just enjoy the simplicity of the scooter over the motorcycle. It got to where I was having to force myself to ride the motorcycle. So on a whim I put the motorcycle on Craig's List just to see what would happen.

In about 3 weeks it sold to the 1st person that looked at it.:clap

Not really sure what my future bike plans are. With only the Zuma I no longer have a highway capable bike. Taking the back roads may be preferable but I still want to be able to jump on the highway as needed.

At this point I am planning on riding the Zuma through the winter before making any decisions on what I want to do.
  20. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan to me.