I Wanna Turn a Sport Bike Into a "Tourer"...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by stripple, Apr 11, 2013.

1. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

That's a beautiful machine. I'm getting more and more taken with the Z1000/Ninja 1000. Have you done any poewr mods to it? I hear that there's a lot of extra power lurking in those motors if one makes the right mods.

If you have done some mods, what have your impressions been?
  2. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys had to get me thinking about this, and right when my old (05) gsxr 600 came back up for sale.

[​IMG]

Hmm....

Might not make it. Build a standoff just to keep them away from the sides a bit better maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    davyjones likes this.
  3. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't fiddle with it much. I changed the tips to give it a deeper sound, but left the mufflerbox underneath.

This thing pulls so hard I have yet to really desire more power. I rarely travel above 80 miles per hour, but even there it has some grunt.

It's so much fun down low, I've almost perfected launching from a full stop. All my screwball buddies on their sportybikes (I hate riding sportbikes (no offense guys)) are hopeless from 0 to about 40 or 50. Rolling starts are even more fum to torture them with.

I typically ride alone (commuting). I love trolling around DC on this thing, when you want to be in a spot the throttle gets you there in an instant. No wind up, no hesitation, just "rahh" (poor rear tire, lol)

The best upgrade I've done to this bike to date is the pads. The stock ones are weak. I put on some HH+ pads and now it stops like a city bike should.

The only time I think it's ever lacking is when I'm on the freeway in 6th and I'm too lazy to shift to fifth too pass a slow car. :lol3

I bought it in January and so far I've put 3500 hard, hard, hard miles on it... all grins all the time.
  4. arshishb

arshishb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the whole thread but here are my 2 cents. I am in the same park as you, using a liter bike as my do it all bike. Commute, track & very rarely get some groceries for the heck of it :rofl

Without a doubt I can recommend the GSXR 1000. Of all the liter superbikes, I believe these are the most "streetable" for the lack of a better word.

Get any 03 - 04 or 05 - 06 models & do 3 things to it.

1. Spiegler handlebar conversion kit
    2. Vortex rearsets that can be had cheap from any race forums or Ebay
    3. Taller windscreen
    After you have all the above, adjust your rider triangle to preference & ride. These things have massive torque, rarely need any maintenance & give good mpg if you are smooth with the throttle. I have owned an 06 & now I own an 09. For my purposes, i really miss the 06. Excellent stock ergonomics, excellent power band, very intuitive handling & really good mpg. The 09 is a great bike too, but the small fuel tank, poor mpg & comparatively uncomfortable ergos are points against it. Of course at the track, things change. The 09 feels a lot better, brakes better & turns better.

Good Luck with your quest.
  5. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol, no.

Maybe liter sportbikes.

But not liter bikes.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Your mpg seems totally reasonable to me. Some people just have a knack for getting good mpg. Excluding track days my average mpg on my 07 cbr600rr was at 49.9mpg when I sold it. My avg mpg on my tiger 800 is at >54mpg which is the highest on fuelly. I've been thinking of picking up a used 675 and I would fully expect to get the same sort of numbers you get though a major reason for the purchase would be to get back on the track.
  7. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every bike is unique in its design. I have no trouble seeing 50 mpg on an '07 CBR600RR, or 55 mpg on a Tiger 800. Other people report similar results. But the D675 is a totally different beast for engine, tune and gearing. I'm glad that Existence_Inc is getting his GREAT mpg, but NO ONE ELSE is reporting numbers this high. His bike and riding style are the exception, not the rule, for THIS motorcycle. Even the Street Triple, which is tuned differently, doesn't typically get mpg this high.
  8. arshishb

Oddometer:
    Excuse the missed word.

EDIT: However, a well sorted (read hacked) GSXR 1000 streetfighter can give most liter bikes a run for their money. Of course in stock form, its out of the question. Neverthless it makes a great platform for any thing you want to convert it to. I had a Ninja 1000 for a few months before nmoving back to the GSXR. Apart from the riding position & adjustable windscreen, I felt the GSXR better in every way. More mpg, better brakes, much much better handling & a butter smooth engine.
  9. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D

:freaky

It's an important distinction.
  10. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    OK I'm in. Selling my FJR and I want to do this. Engine is the most important thing, which one is the smoothest and what kind of RPM's are they turning at 75mph? Stock gearing.

Taking my own advice, '05-'06 GSXR is the one with a Spiegler set-up sound pretty damn good, but they seem to be hard to find.
  11. arshishb

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you live in CO but here is the only worthwhile I could find in CO.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4028067444.html
  12. BobbyLee666

BobbyLee666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    ^ That site is so damn useful!

My biggest concern is the gear ratios. After reseaching many, many bikes the GSXR has the narrowest 1st-6th ratio available and I'm not a fan of shifting.

However, compared to my Blackbird (which I always felt was more top-end biased than a lot of people think it is), I'm thinking a literbike would require no more shifting in the canyons thanks to so much less weight to carry around the way the revs build so much quicker. The K5 and K6 has the broadest powerband of any liter bike made from what I gather.
  14. arshishb

Oddometer:
    I have owned an 06 & the gearing is nowhere near short. Also, because of the power, shifting is optional.

EDIT: Didn't read your earlier question but at 80 mph indicated the GSXR is running at 5250 rpm. To pass at the speed, just twist the throttle & watch anything you just passed disappear in your mirrors.
  15. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    So cruising at 75, the engine hardly feels like it's working, correct?
  16. arshishb

Oddometer:
    That engine never felt like it was working at any RPM :huh Make sure you find one with the stock exhaust intact or at most a slip on.

Avoid ones with a full exhaust change. A full exhaust changes the characteristics by smoothing out the top end but with a small sacrifice at the low & mid range. This is good for track fanatics or for racing but for putting around it sucks.

Once you get one & are comfy with it, spend $100 to get the ECU flashed. This removes the TRE & other restrictive crap. The bike after that turns into a completely different animal. You will be surprised how it leaps off from a stand still.

Definitely get the suspension setup for your weight as the springs are more than capable, in short its slightly over sprung.
  17. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I rode an K4 and was amazed at how smooth the suspension is. I also rode an '04 ZX10 that was stiff as all hell.

How is the damping on the the K5? I wanna do some serious miles on it, but if it's anything like the '04 it won't need much. I weigh 165 and would carry 30lbs with me sometimes.
  18. arshishb

Oddometer:
    For your combined weight of 200 lbs the stock springs are more than adequate. They are sprung for up to a 240 lb rider :lol3 That why lighter riders change out the springs. Otherwise, it is an excellent machine in every aspect. Comfort, handling, mileage, reliability, speed. The brakes suck for track riding but for street riding they are as good as any street bike.
  19. augiedog

augiedog augie dog

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] I am in the process of building a sport tourer out of this little jewel. it will have all givi luggage luggage, painners, trunk, and sport windscreen, 3 gallon fuel cell, skid plate and engine guard. it makes tons of low end torque,handles great, and gets about 55mpg at 70 to 80 mph. I have regeared it thru the primary drive to run 70 mph at 3200 rpms.
  20. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    This is how to turn a sport bike into a sport touring bike without permanently affecting the sport aspect.........

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.