Basic Basil"s corner

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Kokopelli, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with ya there buddy. A mate of mine was building a new house a few years back and asked me about what i trhought on solar hot water heating. I asked him how much for the solar system which I think was towards $10k. I got him to get the cost of an electric cylinder, around $1000 and got him to show me his power bill and I showed him the water heating part of that which was around $40 per month. If he had no running cost at all with the solar (which probably wont happen in winter ) it would take around 8 years to pay for itself, by which time the solar system would probably require maintainance or replacement. I seem to remember being told the life expectancy not great on the photocells ?
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Did a quick ride this evening. Now with leaking push rod tube seals. I'll see if I can be bothered changing them again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Another great evening, so I went out again. This is somewhere along the North Bank rd, up Pine Valley. It's only 30min. from home, so I'll be back, to quote someone famous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Nice koko. Is that the lil flat area past the camp with a swing bridge next to it? if so we did a stream study up there. We can attest that it is a good stream - plenty of lil water creature things, the clarity was good, flow over 10m was sufficient. :D

The bush study tho wasn't as good. Not many bugs, birds, seeds. See what you learn on school camp:lol3

How about a Mt Patriarch ride in the near future? Neat place.

Edit - I'm going to check out some cheap blue spray cans now.
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    The place you mean is probably called Mill flat, or something like that. I did not cross the stream, because I did not feel like a water study this late on a Sunday afternoon. I am sure one of those creatures would have swum up a nostril, or something.

Oh, I could not get that transmitter to work. We haven't been to Nelson yet, but I am planning to and could I then borrow your spare?

I also had a look at a photovoltaic installation. They guys do tidy work. Got a second quote from some guys in Blenheim and it was pretty close to the one from Nelson. The Nelson bunch seem to use slightly higher specifications.

I tootled around the Wairau riverbed again. It is so much easier riding on rocks, when there is no water involved.
  6. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I have got the spare one in the truck & was going to post it out to you.

I've dealt with these guys for many years & they are up with the play.

http://www.esolar.co.nz/

yes mill flat was the place
  7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Yes, Frank gave me the quote and it was his installation I looked at. I am still not 100% sold on it, but if our power bill is not coming down, it makes sense to do it.
  8. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    MMy wife and I drove out to Mill Flat this afternoon. Her bike has a dead battery and I was sick of bump starting it again, so we tool the car. what a beautiful spot it is. It got me thinking. It would be ideal for a top of the south advrider meeting. It's even got a toilet. Photos below. While I don't know for sure, I am too new around here, I am guessing there is plenty of riding to be had around the North Bank area. In the evening it could be a camp fire and beer. One or two nights.

This autumn or next spring? Who is interested. Might start a thread about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.

North bank is at the doorstep of Mt patriach which is an awesome ride. I am ready to tackle that on the GS now.
  10. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    I'm in, the Goulter Alpine Route is also open on weekends and is a similarly challenging ride right up the top of the North Bank road.

Another one is the road between Onamalutu and Bartletts Creek, it was open a few weeks back when I checked.

I'm sure we could fill in a day or two of riding.

Another thing is I could always chuck a bbq and the bike on the back of my ute so we could have some good feeds if we camped up there for one or two nights. :evil
  11. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kokos ex Auckland. They don't camp dsrrrrling.

They Glamp
  12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    He does have a point, at this stage I don't actually own a tent, or a decent sleeping bag for that matter.

I am just concerned about timing. Is it getting too late in the year to rely on half decent weather and non-freezing nights? Maybe this should be left until December?

I am still keen to explore the area. Mt Patriarch sounds like a great ride.

This Saturday I will be busy babysitting cyclists on the Grape ride. The best time for me would be Easter and the week after.
  13. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    No no no it doesn't get cold down here at nights.

(wait till the choppers are hovering over your house 5.30 every morning & you'll see why you got a bargain:wink:)
  14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I see, but I didn't get a bargain and there are no choppers used in the area. At least that's what the neighbours have been telling me.
  15. Left Testicle

Oddometer:
    I think ya got an offer ya cant turn down. padders will be ya sleeping bag:rofl
  16. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Mate, Raupara Rd is lined with those windmills and when they fire up, it's gonna sound like Vietnam as each of those windmills sounds like a chopper. :deal

Tents aren't that expensive andwewon't be far from home if it does turn to shit out there. (plus we can always check to forecast anyway)
    However, don't skimp on the sleeping bag, spend $200+ and get a good one rated down to at least -10 comfort zone.
    While it might not get that cold, having a really warm bag makes the nights that much better.

I've camped at Bartletts Creek in the middle of winter while hunting and yea, it was a tad chilly. :lol3
  17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I've seen them and I am sure we'll hear them a bit, but none of them are close by. They are at least a kilometer away. Anyway, you can't live in the middle of a vineyard and expect total silence. I can hear harvesters right now :ear

I'll have to invest in some camping gear. At the moment I am trying to buy some decent hiking/hunting boots.
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I just had to go out for a ride today. Luckily Basil started up after a bit of coaxing. Since it's been an overcast and somewhat cold day today, I put on a lot of layers, enough to be comfortable.

I headed across to Rarangi and on the way over, I spotted a nice little area near the river, perfect for playing around. Judging by the track, many before me had had the same idea. I will have to go back there as it's a good place to practice tight turns, sharp drops and steepish climbs. Nothing too serious though.

On a whim I decided that I would ride to Picton. The road had been freshly graded in most places, thankfully no traffic until the outskirts of Picton, where they were clearing the last of the slips. Thankfully, I did not meet any of the trucks earlier on. It took me a while to get into a rhythm, but soon I was cruising along at a reasonable pace.

A bit grey today, but still a nice ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Left Testicle

Oddometer:
    You will have to pop out to French pass and see ya cousin
  20. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    That's a real nice ride aye?

It certainly was a tad chilly today, working outside I didn't get down to less than 3 layers. :lol3