Documentary Introduction

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Akfire, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    A contact of mine told me of this forum. I'm new to the adventure riding scene. I'm originally from North Pole, AK. Now I live in Anchorage. I work as a full time firefighter and am now involved in a documentary involving adventure motorcycle riding in Alaska.
    The premises is to take a cancer surviver with motorcycle experience but no dual sport experience and film the entire process of buying the bike, outfitting the bike, learning how to mechanic on the bike, learning to ride the bike, obtaining sponsors, etc, then the 2,800 mile trek. The trek is from anchorage, to homer, to prudhoe bay (hopefully) and back to anchorage through Glenallen. There will be a follow vehicle but they will not be able to help except in case of catastrophic injury or massive mechanical failure. Along the way we are going to show the point of view of Alaska from a bike. We are going to bring awareness to volunteer firefighting through one of our endorsements at North Star Volunteer Fire Department. We are also talking with American Cancer Society as an endorsment.
    We've been up there hunting but never on a bike. We have one lonely buisness sponsor, Chilkoot Charlie's, for the pre and after party. So if anyone has ideas. Most of our support comes from individuals so far. We are looking for likes on Facebook at www.facebook.com/motoexpedition1 and www.motoexpeditionak.com. Any suggestions would be welcomed! Company decals will go on the bike, Facebook, and the website. As well as individual names. :norton
    We bought a KLR 650. Built panniers from 20mm ammo cans so far. We have highway bars to attach and a Koplin 1.5gal extra gas tank to attach as well. We purchased a couple tubes and a extra set of tires. Still looking for a center stand but like I said very limited on sponsors so most of the cameras and the bike have come out of our pockets. So if anyone knows where I can get one for a steal. Also I was told "BEEZER" on the forums was the man to bribe with wine about helping us learn to mechanic the KLR.
    We are planning a kennicot mine run prior to the trek and we are trying to make it a mass trip with all the supporters, no dates as of yet but probably late June early June.
    www.motoexpeditionak.com
    Www.facebook.com/motoexpedition1
    Thank you all! Sam
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADVn00b Akfire.

Sounds like a very worthy endeavor.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  3. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam!

Glad to see you were able to find a bike. Like I said when you visited The Motorcycle Shop, if you need help with gear or advice, we'd be glad to help. Good luck with everything!

Andrew
  4. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    Yeah thanks for all the help Andrew! A contact gave us a really good deal on a barely used klr so that worked really well for us. I still am probably coming in to get more gear but we have to wait on funds. Audio visual gear cost a pretty penny haha
  5. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    I'm super stoked for you guys...I love riding and living in Alaska. I strongly suggest contacting Happy Trails to see if they will donate or sponsor with parts for the KLR. They are big supporters of vetrans and similar projects such as yours. They are based out of Boise and make incredible aftermarket stuff for the KLR. It sounds like you have most of the route established, but if you have time or would consider altering the route. I highly recommend detouring from TOK on your way to Glenn Allen (Sp) and head over to Chicken, Alaska and if time permits, cross the border. It is a unique experience-You literally show up to a guard station in the middle of no where in the subarctic. Then proceed to Dawson City. Then maybe turn around and head back to Glenn Allen. It is dirt and hard pack from Chicken over the border and down to Dawson City. Just my two cents.
  6. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska

Hey AKDuc, hows it going? Are you still working at REI?
  7. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    Great idea! We actually talked about it. The time constraint is what's getting us. We are trying to do the trek and all the filming in 8-9 days. Btw I mistyped earlie, it's 2300 miles not 2800... Well unless I can convince another day in the itinerary haha then maybe more
  8. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sam,
    If you are looking for a ride suggestion, you could do a test run with the ole" KLR on up to Dawson City for D2D in late June with a WHOLE BUNCH of us. That would be a good ring out of your bike, gear, and riding skills in preparation for the "TREK" Also on your trek have you considered shooting across the Denali Highway? It would bean excellent chance to get some great video of some more not so often seen terrain between Paxson and Cantwell. Just a thought.
  9. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind a suggestion. I would post needed items.
  10. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    I would love to do D2D but I can't get that many days off from my FD. We thought about doing the cantwell from paxon run. All and all it's about the same mileage. At this point it's fitting it into the schedule For days we can shoot. We are entering this mostly in indie film festivals and possibly might be able to publish with amazon, more to follow on that.

As for what we need. We posted on Facebook a lot when we look for stuff but aside from sponsors it's gear like- center stand, Probably a fly trekker helmet, blue tooth comms, go pro mounts, inverter for charging camera equip, small air compressor, jet syphon or fuel pump for poly cans. We also only have one band allowing us to use there music so always looking for that. Think that's what I know of off the top of my head.
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Denalli HWY from Anchorage and back is an easy two day ride. Can easily fit into a "weekend." I put in quotes as your days off may not be Sat/Sun.
  12. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give Barb at Alaska Leather a shout. She has EVERYTHING you need:clap

Also when the snow (or lack of) clears away you should run up to Hatcher Pass and we could ride across from the Palmer side to the Willow side then stop at Millers for some ice cream on the way home.
    BTW did you ever work with Aaron Young or Matt Paine in the FD They are both in the NP Squarebanks area.
  13. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    If you haven't done it yet you should read all of Alkan Riders ride reports etc.
    They are a wealth of information!
  14. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    I love Alaska Leather. All my leather gear is from there. Trying to get my buisness cards and silk screen shirts and such done before I walk in there. We are official but I want to make sure we look the part. :rofl I am looking at the ALCAN threads. Lots of great info. Aaron young sounds familiar.
  15. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the board.
    Greatest encouragement to your endeavor.
    If it was my expedition, I would NOT bother with the installation of centerstand, on THAT particular motorcycle.
    It is a very simple, easy matter to lubricate the drivechain while holding the bike on front tire and sidestand, I will demonstrate the technique when you are down in Homer. As for tire change, or wheel bearing type maintenance, it is VERY easy to scrounge up an appropriate size stick, or block when the time comes.
    . .. In my opinion, a Centerstand on a KLR is in effect a nine pound container for 12 pounds of mud....
    NEXT item:
    for spare fuel, I recommend the smallest ( cheapest ) portable gascan you can find around one single gallon capacity. Travelling your route, on the KLR you will likely hit reserve two times, once INTO Coldfoot from FOX, and again, from Coldfoot, just rolling into Hilltop service, in FOX. you will still have nearly one usable gallon remaining at that point.
    You wont strictly need the spare fuel ( on a KLR ) , but it will be nice to have, in case you have to turn around due to weather, or need to help another traveller out.
    NEXT.
    AS long as you start your ride with NEW headlamp bulbs, NEW tires front and rear, NEW chain and sprockets, and with plenty of brake pad remaining... no special prep is required. TIRE repair tools and inflation capabilities are recommended.
    The KLR 650 will be expected to consume between one half and one full quart of motor oil on a 2800 mile weekend ride.

IF your KLR has a functioning Balancer Shaft tensioner SPRING, and you have recently ascertained it's function, AND you are reasonably sure the valve clearances are not tight, you should have ZERO to NEAR zero tool deployment on a short ride of 2800 miles. you MIGHT have to reduce chain slack a small increment, if you did in fact begin with a brand new chain, they tend to get a little bit of stretch in first 500 miles.

For the paved sections, Homer thru Livengood cutoff, run tire pressures about 5 or 6 psi above the KLR recommendation, I like around 28 front, and 32 rear, keeps the tires cooler on pavement, and keeps the front from cupping real bad. once on DALTON, you might lower the front to 21 or so, and rear maybe 28 psi, unless you are real FAT, or loaded heavy.... than you might need 40 psi, I dont know.

BRring mosquito repellant, maybe even a insect proof head net. and a camera. the scenery will BLOW your mind.
    I strongly recommend installation of heated hand grips, the cheapo snowmachine grip heaters install easy, and work well, and you will be very happy to have an electric heated vest, especially for riding at night.
    I will be happy to contribute a set of KLR wheel bearings to your adventure, if you feel the need.
    The other item : I can LOAN you a 12 volt tire inflator pump for your trip, pick it up on your Homer leg.
    Any other specific questions, IM me for telephone contact.
  16. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    Full throttle... Lots of great info as well. We have a new chain on it, sprocket as well. Tires are about 3/4 life (tubeless) and the tubed tires are brand new. I have a volt meter and heated grips. Still need to install a cigarette lighter for 12v power. I have a heated jacket from Alaska leather Barb convinced me to buy at the end of last season. Def will have that! Interesting part about the center stand. Makes sence though. Added weight on a already heavy bike. I can normally macgyver a lot so that will be a strong suit. I will def do a trip down to homer and visit, bring the bike and get some miles on it. I got out on a cold ride today but it was on a harley softail. Lots of fun! This is a great forum. All the suggestions and help have been great. I was sceptical but I'm glad I listened to my contact. I have also gotten a few more likes on our Facebook page which helps with sponsors. Very happy with advrider!!!
    -Sam
  17. Herkjerk

Herkjerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum! When are you guys planning on doing this ride? Two friends and I are going to be doing this same trip starting August 2nd! We will be taking the ferry over from Kodiak to homer and then heading north! It be great to do a ride along with you guys or combine trips!
  18. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AKfire,

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the endeavor! I didn't see what year KLR you have? If it's a pre 2008, and you don't have one already, I have a factory service manual, that you can have. Just PM me your contact info.

Jeff
  19. Akfire

Akfire 2008 KLR650

Oddometer:
    I have a 2008 klr650. The dates of trip are going to be July 16-23. The trip to kennicot will be end of June or beginning of July. Again to everyone thanks for all the help and suggestions!
  20. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    testing 1,2,3

pm'd a week ago... anybody home?