MotoGP Austin, April 19-21, 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pacman1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Wonder if USAC is flagging for COTA? I'll have to give Sandy a BUZZ!
    Would be nice to have next years race schedule flesh out with a trip to Leguna Seca, Indy and now,:clap Austin...
  3. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gonna be nice for me since I'm already in town. For the F1 race there won't be any onsite parking for the general masses, but I hope for the MotoGP there will be bike parking at the event. Hopefully they don't jack up the hotel rates for you all visiting like they did for F1.
  4. primate

primate Group W

Oddometer:
    Beat me to it, posted in regionals and jomamma. Cool, gonna make this one...20 miles from the house.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    we'll be there! we were the 1st people to call about vending.
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Can't even imagine having something like this in my own town. You are lucky.

So no one is allowed to drive to the F1 race and park their cars?

I already booked a hotel pretty close to the track.
  7. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    parking tickets for F! are $200
  8. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Park downtown and ride their shuttles. Sucks, but beats the COTA parking prices. FWIW, I won't be attending F1 due to admission prices and outside food/drink policies, but parking isn't the thing keeping me away.
  9. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that this may be my spring break trip For 2013. Early thoughts would be to ride to Austin before the weekend then spend a couple days after the race riding the Hill Country before a ramble back home through Arkansas.

I'm prolly just gonna get a GA ticket since I've never seen the track layout and bounce around to see what's what. I've been to Austin once before for a weekend trip with Mrs. Easy but we didn't venture too far from the bars downtown. Would a guy be best off to stay downtown and shuttle it to the track or are there hotels closer to the track and park and rides that would make for a shorter trip?

That no outside food/drink policy is pretty harsh, WTF?

Any local advice is certainly appreciated:freaky
  10. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basically, there are no hotels near the track. It was built in an undeveloped area and the amenities haven't caught up yet. Maybe by next year. The are hotels halfway between the track and downtown, downtown and around town.
  11. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    welp,I guess I planted a seed with Mrs. Easy. She just suprised me with tix to the race/hotel downtown&airfare for Christmas:clap:clap:clap

Not exactly what I had planned but we'll see how it morphs.

Already have tix for Indy sooooomight not be too huge a stretch to hit Laguna for s trifecta first year????
  12. gatorgrizz27

gatorgrizz27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to grab my tickets this week, anyone attend F1 to know where the best view of the track is from? Turn 1, 15, or just certain GA sections? Also wondering about a hookup for paddock passes, it doesn't look like they are available unless you purchase a VIP package for $1,500+
  13. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
    Anybody have legit info on shuttles to/from the track? The website is terrible, still focused on F1 I find.

They did have some shuttle info on the COTA website (now i can't find it), mind you it was all about when F1 was on.

I'd rather fly in and stay near a shuttle stop than rent a car/parking/gas if it is just gonna sit all day anyway.
  14. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:

Website really is terrible. Anybody have a schedule for the events? When do gates open/close, practice? specific race start times, etc. ?
  15. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Hopefully more information will be coming out. It is still 3 months away. But - the entire weekends schedule must already be set up?
    Skowinski-wife and I are flying to Houston, meeting up with friends who live there, and driving over early on the Sunday. Looking forward to it! :freaky
  16. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Daamit why didn't they get that going before I left :cry:cry....
  17. OSJ

OSJ Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer:
    just confirmed baby sitter for the kids, Flight and Hotel booked, Looks like the OSJ's will be there!
  18. brewer90

brewer90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the two shuttle locations are the same as F1 (15th and Trinity and the Travis County Expo Center) then you will just want to stay downtown and catch that shuttle. The expo center is way out in BFE and there are no hotels nearby you would want to stay at. If you are flying all the way to Austin for the race you might as well enjoy the city.
  19. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you know someone here with a spare bedroom and bike to ride to the race? :deal
  20. pacman1

pacman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a hotel room reserved at the downtown Courtyard Marriott just a couple blocks off 6th (think bars, pubs, restaurants, etc), and depending on if the wife and kids decide to come, I may have room to let.