Sealing Fuel Pump Cover

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by oli-oli, May 3, 2009.

1. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I've recently experienced the obligatory fuel pump contoller failure on my 05 12gs, and done the necessary replacement (black finish/blue o-ring.)

I've been told that sealing the fuel pump cover, perhaps with duct tape over the slots, will prevent another failure by keeping water out. But I've also read in a previous thread that the issue is not water but heat from the controller module, so sealing the cover can be dangerous. Has this been verified?

Water indeed may not be the cause of fp failure, but it's still annoying to see water pooling around the module after a ride in the rain or after washing the bike, and then having to dry it out. So has anyone here sealed the cover just the same, and what trouble, if any, have you experienced because of this?

Thanks.
  2. RogerJ

RogerJ Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer:
    There was a thread(s) on UKGSer about this. It is a trade-off. If you block off some of the vent slots isn the cover there is less water but more heat. Also if you are in a salty ennvironment there is the corrosion issue. The black coating on the cooling fins helps this. Also the improved O Ring is an improvement. Maybe just keep an eye on it and a wee squirt of WD 40 on the two hold-down screws so they don't corrode and try not to leave the bike on the side stand with thgese bars turned toward the left, especially in the rain. The design of the bike encourages the flow of water to that area. BTW I am on my third fuel pump controller in 30,000 km and always travel with a spare on long rides. There appears to be no silver bullet fix. YRMV. Good luck!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  3. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RogerJ, thanks! I travel with a jumper in my tool kit, but i guess a spare controller is better.

What bugs me though is that I'd have to open the side panel and remove the fp cover after every ride in the rain or every washing just to dry out the pool of water that has collected. So at the risk of being called lazy, I'm thinking of just sealing the cover. I just want to know if anyone has done this and got consequences directly attributable to it.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Sealing the cover is a nearly surefire way of destroying the controller. It would get very hot in there. Some models do not even come with a cover.

IF your controller is properly installed it will not leak and fail. 95% (number pulled from nether regions but probably not far off) have never had a failure. I know of only one in my club of about 50-60 R1200 bikes. Mine has 55K miles and my friend Kermit's has 70K miles with never a glitch.

I agree it is woth carrying the jumper, but I would strongly suggest against sealing the cover. If you feel compelled, you might use a generous amount of Vasseline (or similar) around the edges of the controller to help seal it, but that would be all I would do.

Jim :brow
  5. alexeft

alexeft Not broken in yet!

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, since I 'only' own a 1100 :evil

There are wires etc that fit the pump and the controller. Why not make
    a long cable and keep the controller somewhere else on the bike,
    with enough air to cool. Then seals its empty place.
    Done once and for all I guess!!!
  6. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks fellas! Guess nobody in the asylum's daring (or stupid) enough to seal their cover. But there is somebody out here who's done it and gave me the idea. I'll keep a watch on him and tell you guys what happens, if anything does.

Be safe all of you!
  7. rony05

rony05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had the same problem. i had water under O ring which probably made failure. after controller was replaced i sealed O ring with marina caulking. flexible when dry and waterproof. i hope it helps controller in the future.
  8. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, another thing... Does anybody know the story on the new, "improved" controller (black coating/"better" o-ring). Have the failures stopped or at least decreased in incidence? I know the sales have increased because of replacements and spares.