bmw dealers in mid west

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by gmtech, Dec 6, 2012.

1. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im looking at buy a 1200gs or gsa next spring like aprilish and selling my wr250r

on cycle trader there are some dealers which had a lot of used gs's gate way bmw in st louis, and cycle werks in barrington, country side bmw also

has anyone delt with any of these dealers or could recomend a good bmw dealer in the illinois wisconsin iowa area

i am deffly gonna look on the flee market first when the time comes. but want to keep options open

thanks
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.searchtempest.com/result...1&category=8&subcat=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

1. Click on the above link...and LOOK at the code in the browser window...then
    2.Substitute YOUR ZIP for 80237 in the above and you'll search EVERY CRAIGSLIST in the country!

Make a spreadsheet:
    Columns: YEAR, MILEAGE, LOCATION, COLOR, ACCESSORIES, PRICE

Sort by YEAR

You'll have a GREAT idea of what a GS is worth!

BTW...I found GS's in SMALLER market cost less...due to supply and demand.

Good luck with your hunt.:clap
  3. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gateway BMW in St. Louis is awesome! I bought my 800GS from Honz. I moved from St. Louis and have been around the east coast for two years since I bought my bike and still think Gateway is one of the best places I have been. :evil
  4. andy57

andy57 quiet one

Oddometer:
    I second that, Gateway BMW is the best. Of course I am prejudiced as it is the closest dealer to me . But really they are great people who treat you like family :clap
  5. KankakeeBenjamin

KankakeeBenjamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bmw of Barrington is excellent to deal with. Just bought a new gsa from them and am very happy with their service. Countryside is ok but I cannot stand their service manager so I try not to ever go there. Call Jim at cyclewerks of Barrington he impressed me a lot.
  6. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I can not speak to Countryside, but the other two are first rate.
  7. Craiger

Craiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another Vote for Gateway BMW, Honz and the crew are great to do business with and will go above and beyond even after the sale.....
  8. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome guys thanks for the help!
  9. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more for Gateway! I don't think a better dealer exists.
  10. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    My comment above struck a nerve, so I thought best to elaborate. I have purchased lots of bikes from Barrington over the years, from John to the new owners. Had a lot of service performed there as well with never a problem and I am good very friends with the employees there. I have purchased 2 bikes via Gateway and had service work performed there as well and consider that group of misfits an absolute hoot to hang with. Good folks all. But I have never purchased a bike from either Chicago BMW or Countryside, nor have I ever had service performed at either location. I do know Cary pretty well and he is a great guy. Purchased a new helmet and jacket there in the last year and was treated great, received a discount, without asking, was allowed to return the helmet for a different size a couple of days later with no questions asked. But I have no experience buying a bike or servicing it there, which I felt the OP was asking about. Didn't meam to ruffle feathers or give negative impression of Countryside.
  11. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Countryside is below average.

Gina's BMW (Iowa City, IA) is extraordinary. I had a bike maintained there for many years and they have ridiculously knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful staff. If I lived in a 100 mile radius still, I wouldn't consider any other place. Please do yourself a favor and check them out.
  12. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said. :deal

I've not been to Countryside either. Jim in Barrington is great and St. Louis is outstanding also.

I've heard good things about Milwaukee, but never been.

kfs
  13. Ilikebikes

Ilikebikes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought new GS from Jim B. in Barrington and cannot say enough good things about him. Recommend highly. Countryside is doing a good job of building a solid dealership. Carey C. has been a friend for years. He will not steer you wrong. We're lucky to have them both in the Chicago area.
  14. little john

little john Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mischlers BMW/ HD in Beaver Dam WI.
    about 2.5-3 years ago.while recovering from knee surgery, I stopped in to blow time and look at things I would probably never afford or buy. Art Mischler came over and struck up a conversatition, I said at sometime- before I turn 55 or 60 I would like to own one of these things and ride to Alaska and blow a whole summer on the road. stupid talk for a 48 year old that never had a street bike longer than 6 months.(I had always been an off road thumper dual sport guy) A year ago august Art calls me out of the blue and announces "I have your bike!" which I had of course completely forgotten about even having had a conversatition on. he had found me an older but very nice R1100gs. knew the past owner and everything about it, and gave me it for ( what I felt ) a very fair price, and since has proven to be very fair. In the last 16 months the wife and I have ridden it almost 20,000 miles and love it , because I think, Art listened and knew what I wanted and knew the bike that would fit my want/ needs. I'm sure many dealers can do this for you, but I do appreacate the service and way I was treated, so I'm speaking up for the small local guy in WI. lj
  15. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    i grew up in beaver dam and went to mischler's all my life.
    Its perfect I grew up in a Harley family but like bmw's.
    Now my son likes harleys (he's 7)
    Art has joked that my kids may be the first ones to buy a bike from him.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another Vote for Gateway BMW and Honz.:clap
  17. Cumminsman76

Cumminsman76 befuddled

Oddometer:
    Their Christmas party is tommorow!
  18. riggpigg

riggpigg Known,but not famous Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too can vouch for Ginas BMW, great service, great after sale care, I had an R90S I had bought elsewhere shipped to her shop as I was coming up to pick up a new GS, they serviced the R90S for me as well as dealt with the unloading and storage. Very happy with her sales staff and her shop guys are very professional. I think it is worth the drive. :clap
  19. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:
    :puke1

And I wouldn't let them clean my cat's litterbox, but we all have different experiences..

Between Gina's and the now defunct Kegel's that were in Rockford, I've done my own service for 10 years.. I bought my bike (05' GS) here on ADV slightly used and have serviced it myself, as well as my R80 and R65..

The good dealership in the Midwest was C and D in Freeport, IL, but they retired and BMWNA wouldn't allow someone to purchase the dealership.. Kegels' closed (no loss) and now the area's without a dealer.. On the other hand, it's made those of us in the area much better BMW wrenches..:deal
  20. Phil in K.C.

Phil in K.C. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grassroots in Cape G. Mo