Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tucson ADVriders have a couple of threads to help bring area riders together. This thread (TABB) is to promote the Tucson meet up, plan rides, and generally have a good time. This has lead to lots of rides and meeting/making good friends among the Tucson ADVrider community.

Tucson ADVrider meet-n-greet info:

Where??

Red Garter
    http://redgartertucson.com
    3143 E. Speedway Blvd. (just east of Country Club)

When??

6:30 PM - every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month[/COLOR]

Tucson Area Ride Thread (TART):
    The second thread is a more rigid (in theory, we'll see what happens in practice) thread that is used to post specific rides and the details such as where , when, meeting point etc.

TART - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607236

The idea is that when a ride starts to congel in the TABB, the initiator will post up the final details in the TART. Riders can then just check the TART and find out about upcoming rides in the area (and beyond) without wading throught the daily banter of the big thread. I encourage you to take part in this thread as I'm convince that the daily contact with all the riders in this thread is what keeps the rides flowing.

Tucson Area Tool Exchange:
    The Tucson riders have started a tool exchange so if you have some tools to loan or need a tool to do some maintenance check out this thread.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12280870

Russ
    1990 R100 GSPD
  2. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to take a long dirt ride during vacation later this year?
    Jeff brown likes this.
  3. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of maybe doing at least part of the Continental Divide Trail. What ya got in mind? I'm pretty open as to the where part. How long (days) are you thinkin' ?

Russ
  4. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do. Give me a couple of days.

Russ
  5. midengineracer

midengineracer Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer:
    I have a class to attend (becoming a Safety Steward for the SCCA) or I would be there. At least till the going gets non-street tire friendly...

Nimbus is where the SCCA had their annual banquet, I was surprised at how good the food was and might even try a beer there next time.
    Mama's pizza is where the monthly meet is done for the SCCA, that is the only other meeting place I know of that would be OK for a group (not too noisy or busy).
  6. MonkeyPlunger

MonkeyPlunger Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to update my profile to change from Green Valley to Corona de Tucson. Here is a preliminary plan when i lived in green valley. I hope the link works as it came out pretty long.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Green+Valley,+AZ+85614&daddr=Forest+Service+143+Rd+to:patagonia,+az+to:sonoita,+az+to:62%2FE+Box+Canyon+Rd+to:green+valley,+az&hl=en&geocode=%3BFbJH4wEdM8Zi-Q%3B%3B%3BFSUp5QEdwBlm-Q%3B&mra=dpe&via=1,4&sll=31.818064,-110.738068&sspn=0.560121,1.230469&ie=UTF8&ll=31.717654,-110.717468&spn=0.560729,1.230469&z=10

I went with another group a while back the went from tucson via reddington pass to san maneul and then around to take some 4x4 trail up the back side of mt. lemmon and back to tucson. it was a blast and would not mind doing agian.

Last weekend i went camping up mt graham (in my truck) and would like to plan a motorcycle camping trip up back there in the early spring.

I am pretty much up to any ride. Unfortunaly i have the same illness that seems to be cronic with many others. i have not been able to find a cure for this illness. the only thing in know about this illness is that it is called WORK. I have subscribed to this thread and will make an effort to check often, and to plan a ride.
    adventure girl likes this.
  7. Hipster-Dufus

Hipster-Dufus Swim the East River

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in that, depending on how difficult the roads are. I stink offroad and as you know the 990 is no light beast. I'm looking to get the first service done next weekend in PHX (performance wants $600+) and I am up for a ride on Saturday, Feb 7.
  8. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
  9. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanting to do all of it starting from here and picking the trail proper in Silver City. I want to deviate some in Colorado for what i think would be a better ride.

On the return leg I want to go thru some of Idaho and Nevada and pick up the Pony Express trail in Utah. Then pick up the Great Western Trail in north central Utah. Follow the GWT on into AZ.

No exact details worked out yet. Just an idea so far. Doing the CDT, parts of the ICT ( idaho centennial trail ) and GWT on one ride would be a real hoot.

I will have roughly 25 days for this and hit the asphalt on occasion if necessary on the return leg. Thinking Aug/Sept.
  10. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    Gmoney-

I'm not sure I'll be able to make this one, but I'll try...

MP-

That route looks cool! The only part I've not done is the stretch between Amado and Patagonia. You could even bypass Whitehouse Canyon Rd. and go toward Helvetia from Box Canyon...
    The loop from Reddington to San Manuel up to Summerhaven is a really nice ride. Once the control road is opened up again we'll have to dial something in.

Hip-

$600+ for the first service!?:huh I take that they are just doing a oil/filter change, valve check, and a simple check of nuts & bolts. Man... you could buy all the necessary stuff to take care of that yourself and still have money left over for beer and farkles!!:lol3
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    WestFest 2009 is in Buena Vista CO this year... May wanna think about riding up to or back from it.

Check it out up above!

M
  12. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    Man, one of these days I'll have to gear up my BRP, or add a damned BMW to my fleet for those long azzz slab rides.

The GV, Patagonia, Sonoita, Greaterville loop looks like fun, though. :)
  13. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been considering taking an extra long ride up to BV for WestFest. I've wanted to attend since I got my bike a couple of years ago. It will all depend on if and when we go to Singapore/Malaysia this year as that will eat up a huge chunk of vacation days.

Russ
  14. Armadillofz1

Armadillofz1 Retarded Motardian

Oddometer:
    I'll be moving to Tucson in the next 6 onths to a year. Avra valley area. Any race tracks in that area? looking to bring my race bike with me and would rather not have it rot in the garage. any other Pegdraggers live out that way?
  15. LUK-E-RDR

LUK-E-RDR Beginning Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in rides around this area. I'm new to the longer distance kinda thing, not too excited about roads as I fear people in cars (but plated my green beast nonetheless)... would love to get out and have people show me the ropes. Interested in riding almost anytime with some notice. PM me if you're also interested.

Happy Riding :)
  16. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    The closesst tracks will be in Phoenix. From Avra Valley you will be less than an hour from Firebird. I believe they have mc racing (someone help me out here), There is a track over in New Mexico that is not far away either.

Russ
  17. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
    http://www.roadracesw.com/
  18. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    LUK-E:

dwsAZ and I rode the Santa Rita experimental range/Santa Rita Mt's. last Tuesday and had a blast out there! I'd really like to get out there again sometime soon... how much notice do you require to join in on a ride?
  19. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Iv'e gotta get my act together this week, or next.:lol3 I can play all day friday or half day thursday. Finding some dirt down south sounds ok.
  20. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. I need to get a set of TKC80's spooned on to my GSPD sometime this week. I'm finally back from a bunch of work (sucks) related travel and want to get out and brush up on what few skills I have :D

Russ