ZFE Computer Replacement

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bigjohn66, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bigjohn66

bigjohn66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm suspecting I have a bad Central Vehicle Electronics box (ZFE.) My headlights (mainly low beam, but not always) have been flaky the last few months, showing a fault on the dash display when they are clearly on and sometimes they go out when I turn on the high beams. The fault is pretty random, they will work fine for several hours and then I'll look down, see the fault and find it's correct and the low beam is out. Usually restarting the bike will get them going again, but not always. '05 GS with 82k miles. I do have HIDs in the low beams, but I've replaced every part of the HID system with new and the fault still shows up randomly.

My real question here is: if I buy a used ZFE computer does it have to be programmed by the dealer or is it plug and play? Either the BMS-K or the ZFE controls the immobilizer and is matched to the key. I'm hoping it's the BMS-K.

Also, the fiche list the ZFE is the same part number for several different bikes, if I buy one that came off of, say a F800, but has the same part number, will it plug and play on my R1200GS?
  2. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Have you checked the connection at the bulb? A few have reported problems with the plug. Have a close look at the wire to look for evidence of overheating.
  3. bigjohn66

Oddometer:
    Actually, yes I did. The male spade connectors seem pretty tight and there is no discoloration like you get when wires and terminal get hot. Everything is bright and shiny. Also, when it fails, wiggling the connectors and wires in the area of the headlight never makes them come on (or go out, if on.) That's why I'm of the belief the ZFE is at fault.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I would at least check the fault codes before spending huge bucks on a computer that almost never fails.

Jim :brow
  5. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    I agree, computer is pretty much last thing it's likely to be. Just noticed you mentioned HID lite. I'd go back to the stock setup and see if that helps.
  6. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My money's on Jim and bemiiten. These characteristics have been analyzed pretty hard in the past by other inmates here and 99% of the time and better it's the ballast... or setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  7. bigjohn66

Oddometer:
    The HID worked fine for 2-3 years. When this started a few months back that was the first thing I suspected. However, after replacing each individual component, first one piece at a time and then recently as a complete system, the symptoms didn't change. A used ZFE can be bought for well less than $100, but if the dealer has to reprogram it or a new key has to be bought the price then gets out of hand. Hence my original question.
  8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    The control modules are all locked to each other. Once a module is locked to the bike, that's it. A used one will not work. In the automotive world, there are companies that unlock them.

Put an incandescent bulb back in it and see what happens. H.I.D. ballasts make a lot of electronic noise and I wouldn't trust the cheap "conversion" kits to be well shielded. Maybe something aged enough in the bikes electrical system to cause an issue with interference. Maybe the system has become more sensitive to some sort of electronic noise being fed back into the electrical system. Try wrapping the ballast in aluminum foil and grounding it.
  9. jzeiler

jzeiler ADWrencher

Oddometer:
    I am with Anorak on the HID ballast. I had a flaky one (cheap as well) on my LT and struggled with it for a long time. Even replaced it with another cheap one. Picked up a good deal on some quality Phillips ballasts and put one in the bike and never a whimper from the thing again. Original 8 year old bulb now fires every time and comes up to full brightness right away. What a difference.
  10. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ON the HID and Hyperlites setup I have - I'm using diodes to prevent feedback into the canbus system. Even with that when I took my bike in for the 12K service the BMW interface couldn't find the individual bikes modules... the head parts guy and the tech told me I needed a new ZFE. Made another appointment - to which I personally pulled the feed wire to my Hyperlites off of the power wire on the bikes diagnostic plug and - BINGO - the BMW interface read the individual modules correctly. I told them about that wire before the service...:huh :huh :huh Which I have since removed...

To my knowledge (limited) the ZFE upper and lower limits on the low beam change through the years. Here is an example. Which is one reason why certain setups will run on a specific year(s) of the bike. The HID setup I have now I know I am within the range of the ZFE - so if something goes I've got a jump on where to look.

Changing back to the original setup would -help- rule out the HID setup and system.

-Edit-
    I think I remember a guy that had his ZFE 'flashed'. So that may be an option if it does in fact go that way. Don't know..

:lurk
  11. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put a normal bulb in and try it from there, at least its a cheap test. Another thing that can affect HID lights working properly is if the battery isn't in the greatest shape.
    If it turns out to be the HID kit you can buy CAN friendly kits that might solve your problem.
  12. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an issue on my hp2 with the lights and the instruments. I needed a new brain . It had to be downloaded at the dealer. That is one of the jobs I think are best suited for the dealer. Problems all gone. Richard.
  13. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket, made in China HID ballasts and igniters are, for the most part, poorly shielded, especially the newer ones. They typically use a plastic box with no attempt to shield them. You will not find any FCC part 95 compliance for these things. If you hold an AM radio up close, you'll get the idea.

The ballasts I have are solid alloy with metal top and bottom plates covering the cavity where the circuit board is lodged...no RF or magnetic interference.
  14. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I had to have my ZFE replaced back in 2011 on my 05 with around the same mileage. When I turned the key on, the left blinker would come on and would not cancel. If I pushed right blinker, the 4 ways would come on as if pressing both buttons at the same time! The left blinker would never stop unless I turned the key off! And usually the parking light would come on after I removed the key, so I had to disconnect the battery after messing with it.

My Gs-911 said the left switch was faulty. It was not.. I removed the all the signal bulbs and went on a trip. Stopped in a dealer close to where I was spending a few days and they diagnosed the ZFE as the problem. They replaced it the next day and the problem was solved.
  15. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I have a spare ZFE with a matching Key from an 05 if you decide to go that route. PM me.
    I would go back to H7 bulbs and see if the problem goes away. Good luck.
  16. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had bought a ZFE with all the same Ref numbers minus 4 from a crashed Mega (same bike).

The dealer couldn't set up it on my Mega (I had to pay for the search time...) So, I had to buy a new one.
    I've now a spare ZFE which take dust...

The dealers seems to be obliged to follow instructions given by the install procedure from factory which doesn't
    forsees to reset used ZFE.

Don't throw out your money for a spare ZFE, will probably not work.

Original :
    ZFE Basic Low
    106 818 10 001 07 38
    HW: C7
    SW: 2.0.0
    BMW : 6135 770 96 85

Other found on web :

ZFE Basic Low
    106 818 10 001 08 03
    HW : C7
    SW : 2.0.0
    BMW : 6135 770 96 85
  17. bigjohn66

Oddometer:
    Well, you talked me into it. I'll try a new incandescent bulb, if that doesn't work I'm thinking the ZFE is indeed bad and maybe try to route around it to get the headlights to work consistently. Thanks for the thoughts and information.
  18. kr4mo

kr4mo n00b

Oddometer:
    Have you considered you might have a bad or dirty dimmer switch
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I would guess he got it fixed 5 years ago.
    Boxa likes this.