Best Folding Saw?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by IdahoRenegade, May 12, 2011.

1. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the past, I've hit the backroads with a quad, always took my Stihl 026 with me for clearing downed trees and firewood at camp. Well...this just isn't looking real practical on the DR. What's the best option for a folding saw? I'd like something big enough to handle up to say a 12" dia tree across the trail (yeah, no fun, but that's life in the forest). Also would use it on smaller limbs/trees for firewood. I've used the Wyoming bow saws for hunting, but they are a bit limited in capacity due to the bow for this use. Any recommendations?
  2. SpannerX

SpannerX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about folding saws but I've hear good things about these saws
  3. CharlieP

CharlieP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are pretty sweet !
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely the Gerber folding saw.

Super light (plastic handle), inexpensive, durable and will cut down a redwood (but please don't).

The one in the photos isn't the one I have (mine is a bit older, and still works great).

Attached Files:

6. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Has he actually used it? I bought one based on the rave reviews here and don't remember the last time I was so dissapointed. It doesn't cut worth shit on dry or wet softwood in my yard. The little video on their site looks like a dry rotted punky dead standing tree that by the amount of wiggle could have been pushed over easier.

I second the folding saw type like the gerber shown, I have some offshore $9 rig I've been using for 6 or 7 years and it's awesome. I don't think the brand matters but that style of tooth, whatever it's called works well in this application.
  7. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    He loves it, but I have to say I am not sure that this is the brand he uses. I will ask him next time I see him. He is a ranger at Mohonk Preserve and is in the woods a lot and trimming, etc. We both carry a folding saw, but he said for the big stuff his pocket chainsaw rules.
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1! Folding saw over pocketchain saw every time for me. The pocket chain saw needs two people to work and even then only works well in some situations. I laughed when I saw that demo vid; the bark was holding that "tree" up.
    Some of the folding saws I bought needed to have the "set" of the teeth tuned up a bit otherwise the kerf was too narrow causing the saw to bind.
  9. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    agreed....up to 4 or maybe 6 inch...but 12"?...find a way around :lol3

I have about 6 of these scattered on different vehicles...they have saved the day...use one every year when I am hunting those wiley christmas trees

[​IMG]
  10. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    I've used the Sven Saw for 30 years camping but I really prefer the buck saw above. The Sven works fine but if you get on bigger wood the back precludes making a one pass cut. The sven works great on 6" diameter wood.
  11. 74C5

74C5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't seem find them anymore but I had a Sears one that had thick, broad offset teeth just like a chain saw and a wooden handle. 1 to 2 minute job to go through a christmas tree.

Update: Sears Craftsman 10 in. Folding Pruning Saw
  12. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to go light and the diameter is 12", maybe a stick of dynamite might work. You can set it off with a long wire and your bike battery. :evil
  13. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Renegade,

If you click on the link that is on the #2 post, you'll get on a site for Trail Blazer Products. These guys have a product called a "sawvivor". May have to search around their site to find it, because they have all kinds of other products. (Probably should google it anyway just to get to some retailers and some prices.)

Anyway, this thing is a tool, not a toy. It is seriously strong, very light and well engineered. I've got the 18" model and it fits in my panniers, weighs something like 10 ozs., and the sharp-ass little swiss steel blade stows securely in the handle! Once you use it you may start leaving the chainsaw at home. Folds down to 1" x 3" x 18" too. The only limiting factor of this tool is the throat depth -- it is 5", so you'd have to go at that 12" log from both sides ---- and still break it in the middle. :lol3

The little pocket saws and folding saws mentioned previously won't hold a candle to this thing. Give it a look. Good luck and hope this helps. I own one so if you have any specific questions, pm me. HAPPY SAWING!!!

Regards, Rob
  14. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I like the one on the victorinox trekker knife. If it can saw through a steel fender that was bashed in my a car it will work great for all your firewood making needs.

Also, sears has a craftsman folding saw for like $5 that looks just like that gerber above.
  15. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Pardus

Pardus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Sven saw, a Sawvivor, and a Gerber sliding saw. I like the Gerber the best of the three.

I've heard great things about Silky saws. http://www.silkysaws.com/
  17. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
  18. Greenflyfarmer

Greenflyfarmer I'm better now.

Oddometer:
    I have three of these, older models. I've used them for hunting, camping and trail clearing. New blades are available, I recently saw them at Bass Pro Shop. A 12 inch tree is ambitious, probably 8 inches is reasonable.
  19. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:

Interesting how people can have such different experiences with things. I found that with the saw wrapped around the tree you end up with several teeth biting at once and it's a big effort to pull them through, if you back off the pressure they just skim the surface.
  20. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    I've had one of the Gerber saws, Sven, and Bahco Laplander. IMHO, I would suggest the Bahco over the Gerber or Sven. The Gerber fell apart on me, maybe I just got a bad one but IMHO Gerber has went downhill over the years. The Sven is just to complicated versus the folding saws, and didn't impress me much with it's cutting ability, so I gave it away. The Bahco can make some saw dust quick. I carry it whenever I go into the woods and it amazes me everytime I use it.

The Bahco is probably the one that is suggested the most on the various outdoor sites that I frequent.