Code Orange: Building up Three and a Half 690R's

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bartron, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bike Nomad

Bike Nomad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is an entire thread for this question, although not very active.... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388847

You have already come up with 3 cons for the RR. Most folks consider the RR prettier and has more of a stock look, while the Safari is more utilitarian. To my mind, I would be less upset dropping the Safari equipped bike on to a pile of rocks, than dropping the RR equipped bike on to a pile of rocks. It used to be that the Safari protected the radiator more, but RR recently had a product improvement that addressed that issue. I read the account of one 690 owner that had used both systems. He did rally racing and found for that purpose it was easier to remove 1/2 or all of the RR setup to facilitate nightly maintenance on the bike. If I remember correctly, I believe the consensus is the RR feels slightly slimmer between your legs when riding standing, but that it wasn't a huge difference. I hope that helps you some.
  2. WHKED RIDER

WHKED RIDER WHKED RIDER

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thread link. I will look into this more. I hadn't considered the maintenance issue yet since I haven't seen any decent pics of how the tank looks from top or rear looking forward. I also have the scotts stabilizer installed and I don't know if the safari tank would work with that being present. I will read the thread. Thanks again! :D

3. gordons

gordons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, my questions primarily stems out of paranoia, so apologies.

Project: Want to add Akro slip-on plus Uni-filter and use Tune ECU to upgrade EPT & EFI maps and do the EPT and 15 min. idle reset.

Bike is a UK/AUS/NZ model so it has no EPA hardware but does have the SAS hardware. I'm able to connect with Tune ECU and read my maps. I have also saved them just in the event I do continue and change things and they turn to crap with the hope of being able to load (download) them back on the bike.

Questions- updated:
    1. The SAS removal is that optional or compulsory with the above upgrade of hardware?
    Update: Optional
    2. The 2011 EPT (KM765EU11B0231EP) & FI (KM765EU11B0231FI) maps from Tune ECU, are they universal to all 2011 Enduro R models?
    Update: These maps are universal but specific to 2011 R models.
    3. I only load these maps and DO NOT continue with any other steps under the heading "PLAY TIME" as described in post #13 on page 1 of this thread?
    Update: Only load the maps.
  4. IntrepidRunner

IntrepidRunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My compliments, Barton, for providing well thought-out and complete instructions. Great photos too. I'm looking forward to an update, perhaps with repairs, preventative maintenance or still more mods. :ear
  5. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    +1

Sent from my iPhone
  6. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

+2.

I'm in the midst of some mods right now and have been using this as a reference. Thanks, Bartron.

C
  7. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    I'm in the midst of some seriously-mindbending study. It's been like that for months now hence the lack of updates. Updates should start up again mid to late April and really hit full swing mid June. Unfortunately, my riding has taken a similar hit.

Nonetheless, here's what's in the works:

Suspension upgrade fron and rear
    Flexx bars
    finally post the Lynx install - with the updates from Lynx
    Rally Raid rear tank install (you can never have enough gas...seriously)
    Vortex CDI install

Thank you all for your patience and for the supportive feedback I've gotten. Hope you're all enjoying the new riding season!
  8. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Bartron,

Looking at getting the Lynx Fairing but am waiting on your review and install instructions... :D

Thanks for the write up on the rest of the stuff. Just wishing my 2012 690 would get here before I leave the country :ddog
  9. slidewayz

slidewayz n00b

Oddometer:
    Bartron, I sent you a PM.. hopefully we can touch base soon.
    Thanks!
  10. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    My Lynx is in the mail... Update on the fairing install post???
  11. blackSP

blackSP 51.38986335329787, 4.399599889888853

Oddometer:
    Putte, Netherlands southern border to Belgium
    Guys, I say at KTM_OEM & Custom Tune_list that the 2012 SMC R maps for akra are out.
    I guess the Enduro R will be next with days.

Update:
    I just flashed the 2012 akra map on the 690 with akra header and foam duo filter with original airbox with snorkel PLUS a stoking over the intake and the result is perfect! No more stalling, very strong pull, revving is perfect, all good! You can flash it :)
  12. m0ng00se

m0ng00se Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bartron,

Just wondered if you guys ever did load this map with the changes outlined in your post ? If so, how did it go ? I have 2011 Enduro R with Akra pipe, but bike stalls at least once a day, especially in slower traffic.
  13. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    Hey Man, we did try them out. The guys report smoother initial throttle action, strong low-end but with some loss of top-end. I guess that would be a compromise between usability and raw top-end race power. No complaints from the boys yet.

The nice thing is that you can always flash the ECU back to stock.
  14. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up the 2012 690R enduro. Went with the Leo Vince with spark arrestor, foam UNI and had it remapped from the dealer for $45. No more stalls, smoother throttle, no more jerky stuff on the lower rpm, pull is noticeably stronger and now I get third gear wheel loft without even trying. I got rid of the vapor can and the SAS crap following the instructions from "Code Orange" and it worked great---I feel better about loosing all that B/S that can go wrong. I can now smell real exhaust from the pipe and the motor does "NOT" have to breath that hot air from the motor-------

Next mod is to bypass the 2nd 3rd gear limiter----things should get better soon. :thumb

Great thread and thanks for the professional advice

Cheers
  15. vegemanNZ

vegemanNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, good stuff on unplugging the machine. I have Leo Vince and Foam filter (ktm orange but seems identical to UNI), my airbox is also drilled to let more air in, and have had the akra race map loaded.

I beleive, but hard to confirm, that this factory map supposgets rid of the 2 & 3 gear restricter so that may be already allowing the wheelies to occur :-)
  16. pwh

pwh Just Farkin' GO

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info! This morning I installed a LV slip-on and used TuneECU to upload the Akra map with your recommended changes. Bike pulls 3rd gear power wheelies going downhill now! Runs great!:clap:clap If you ever come to NYC I'll buy ya a beer!
  17. Sethro303

Sethro303 Master of Disaster

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an 08 690 and there are some great tech write ups here!! Subscribed!!
  18. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Do you guys have the 'THAD' and 'APAD' voltages for the 2011 model ?
    I want to check out my settings but I only have the Repair Manual for 2008 and can't find a 2011 Repair Manual.
    Andy
  19. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would appear that this thread has lost it's life. I may be posing a question that no one will see. Here goes. I want to move the underseat map switch capability to the handlebars. Page 1 of this thread mentions the use of a Leo Vance switch to do just that. However I find no such switch for the 690 on their web site. Also other makers of KTM map switches indicate that they are for changing the ignition timing. This compounds my confusion as the underseat switch on the 690 deals with fuel mapping. However a switch is a switch and perhaps it can be adapted. The question: What device are you using?
  20. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Here's a post from the new mega-thread which has info you may find useful about the dirt bike map switches when used on a 690. They are plug compatible but do not offer the option of the standard map. The standard and "wild" do produce the same power but give it less abruptly. I think it is useful to have the poor fuel option as I usually use the "wild" rather than standard.

Also, ignition advance is a part of the maps, so those are changed too. The 690 TuneECU thread contains information about how one could change which map number is associated with which map option.