Team Berglund to DAKAR 2015

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Åmme, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Team Berglund to DAKAR 2015<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The decision is taken myself &#8220; Åmme &#8220; Anders Berglund and my brother &#8220;Mike The Swede&#8221; Mikeal Berglund will be on the starting podium for DAKAR 2015.<o:p></o:p>
    It&#8217;s 415 days until DAKAR 2015 starts and you could question why start a thread already now but the aim with this thread is to shear the experience of the process from decision to finally standing on the finish line podium crying of happiness.<o:p></o:p>
    For me it&#8217;s the same as for the majority of all riders who enter the starting line it&#8217;s an aim to complete a life dream <o:p></o:p>
    For me it all started in Riyadh Saudi Arabia 1995 there I participated in a motocross race and did meet a French rider who told me about DAKAR in a very passionate way.<o:p></o:p>
    I might be a conservative stubborn fool, but for me it&#8217;s only one way of doing DAKAR and that is Malle Moto and nothing else.<o:p></o:p>
    We aim to give you a weekly update in regards to everything linked to our target to reach the finish line mid-January 2015 <o:p></o:p>
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this!

Malle Moto - good on ya!!!
  5. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All the best!!!
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Welcome Anders and Micke! :clap

I happen to know these two fellows personally. Both are very committed offroad enthusiasts, have ridden everything from MX to enduro's and of recent years a number of international rally events... Oz Safari, multiple Tuaregs between them and only recently the Mongolia Rallye.

Neither are spring chickens, but both are accomplished, seasoned riders whose life experience and determination is one of their biggest assets. I have personally witnessed them show up "gun" competitors nearly half their age at events we put on here at home in Scandwegia... oh, and Micke and Anders are a pair of thorough gentlemen larrikins to go with it. Always worth a story and a laugh around the bivouac campfire :wink::thumb

Thank's Åmme for inviting us along for the journey, it's going to be a privelige and a lot of fun to watch this next chapter unfold for you both... :clap
  7. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yay, yippee! More people I "know" doing Dakar 2015:clap. This unfortunate circumstance of being forced to sit out Dakar 2014 is turning out okay:freaky. I'm looking forward to your story of getting there and sharing any experience I can add:deal.
  9. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the support and the nice words from Troy.

Troy have been a real driving force to implement the RD concept to Sweden and it's always a pleasure to ride when Troy have been part of the organization.

I will never forget then I cracked a swingarm on my Berg at Tuareg 2011 and Troy managed to convince another rider to let my purchase a swingarm from a brand new bike.

My base training plan is following.
    250 hours of cardio training a combination of spinning and cross country skiing
    150 hours of strength training
    130 hours of bike riding
    30 hours of RB competition
    2 x extreme endurance training 16 hours riding 4 hours of maintenance followed by 16 hours of riding the purpose is to understand how your body reacts to this as I'm convinced that this will happend during the race.

I will be very open and happy for all kind of advice from you guy's, but please respect my decision to do it by Malle Moto.

I have my first question and I'm sure more will follow later on.

In Malle Moto you have your box and a set of spare wheels, but how do you arrange for transport of spare tires are you allowed to hire space from one of the service teams ? same question if I have the opportunity to bring a spare engine can't find any information in the regulations.
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yep Anders... you were a fairly happy camper in the Merzouga bivouac after leg 4, when you realized that your Aussie mate had a brand new FE 450 in the back of the blue KEVA MOTOR service van... :D

[​IMG]

Thank's to the generosity our KEVA team owner/rider - Kent T :deal

[​IMG]

we organised a replacement swingarm off the backup bike, and Åmme was back in the race the following day! :clap

Just as well my friend... or perhaps this photo may never have become a reality? :deal

[​IMG]

The Brothers Berglund at the finish of the 2011 TUAREG Rallye. :clap

Just one of the memorable rallye story's that these guys have been a part of. :1drink
  11. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are absolutly correct Troy without the generosity of Keva Motor owner Kent It would not happend.:clap

Looking forward to a new picture with my brother in 428 days.
  12. Offroadie1

Offroadie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tuareg 2012 ..... now that was a different story for the brothers. I came across them on day one and helped to lift Anders (I think) into the ambulance.

He had a broken leg, but they were both really cool. No drama at all. Just what you need for a Dakar finish I would suspect.

Anyway ..... he was a big lad ..... my back still hurts :wink:

Good luck gents
  13. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Offroadie, must be honest don't really remember you, but as the lovely doc gave me plenty of morfin on arrival it could be the reason, I remember one rider who there driving together with my brother guiding the medical car back to track was it you ?

It there a stupid accident as I hitted the wall of a small washout instead of breaking I should have tried to jump over it.

Any way thanks a lot for stopping and assisting.

One thought I remember during my waiting for the medical team was, I there quite happy that it happend at the first stage of Tuareg and not at first stage in Dakar.
  14. Offroadie1

Offroadie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep .... that was me "guiding" .... I'm surprised any of us made it out of there :D

So that's why you were so laid back ..... you were out of it!
    Anyway, glad to help. I have been picked up out of the sand a few times myself since then so it must be good Karma.

Very best of luck for Dakar.
  15. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Good luck and i think what you have chosen is THE way of doing the dakar as a privateer. Its all about lasting the distance and finishing it.

Please share more details about your training. I am currently am doing very basic stuff to keep fit.
  16. brocku

brocku Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's great. We can watch the build up and follow along with words of encouragement. :freaky
    Heja sverige!
  17. Åmme

Åmme Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My training program is based on my own gut feeling and has no professional evaluation behind it, I focus on endurance cardio training and for the next 5 months the majority will be indoor in a gym as the temperature and air pollution in Ulaanbaatar don’t promote outdoor training.

Right now I keep each pass of spinning to between 45 to 75 minutes each and with minimum pulse of 130 I hope that by spring time I will be able to make 180 minutes with a minimum pulse of 140.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Spinning is my only option as I will never be able to run anymore in my life, hopefully will I be able to go to country side by end of January and do some cross country skiing.
    <o:p></o:p>
    In regards to strength I focus on my back and abs and to get my strength back in left leg again endurance in focus low weight and many reps.

Last weeks training
    Cardio 5 hours
    Strenght 2.5 hours

In total I still have 98,25 % of my training plan left

18. Mike The Swede

Mike The Swede Mike, The Swede

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody for your encouraging words. I will do everything possible so that we can make "the handshake" on the finish podium somewhere in South America. in mid January 2015. So who am I? As Troy said I'm no spring chicken, made my MX debut back in 1974 at the age of 13. Have been riding and racing dirt bikes on and off ever since. Did my first Rally in 2008 in the Australian Safari, got the bug big time and has since then been in Tuareg 2010,-11 and -12. In 2013 I did Rally Mongolia together with my brother Åmme.
    TBC
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Great to see you poke your head in to say hi Mike! :clap Welcome, looking forward to following the lead up to 2015. :thumb
  20. Mike The Swede

Mike The Swede Mike, The Swede

Oddometer:
    The bikes issue is solved. This is the bike I'm going to use.

How do you insert more than one picture?

Attached Files: