Power Supply for Tablet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S H I F T Y, Feb 19, 2013.

1. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my Google N7 in my tank bag, using it for a GPS, etc.

[​IMG]

I just bought this from Tusk Racing / Rocky Mountain so I can charge the tablet, phone, etc.

[​IMG]

Is there any trick to wiring this up, or does it just connect directly to the battery?
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    No trick. You can connect it directly to the battery.

3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    If you connect to battery it will always remain on. If you want the outlet to turn off when bike is off, a relay would be a better option.

Personally I like the gps to remain on so it doesn't cycle every time you turn bike on and off. Also make sure your usb has enough amps to run a tablet, I was unaware there was a difference but noticed some of my droids wouldn't charge for beans with a random plug. Also having a live outlet allows you to quickly attach a battery tender through the 12v plug

But you need to remember it's always on or you can have a dead battery especially with something that draws a lot like a tablet.
  4. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Good point on the USB charger. Many are 1 amp, but tablets need 1.5 to 2 amps to charge effectively. I believe the ones sold for Ipads are 2 amp.

5. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    dual USB converters are also available, 2 amps for a tablet and 1 for a phone, this one is made by iflash....

[​IMG]
  6. S H I F T Y

Oddometer:
    I was just going to use the car charger that came with it not a usb. So if it is hooked to the battery, is it always on, or just on if the key is on?
  7. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    always on wired that way, though it would be easy to add a relay if you wanted it only on w/ the key on
  8. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Always on. It's not much of a battery drain risk unless you leave it plugged in for an extended period with the key off. As noted above, it's really handy to be able to leave things plugged in while the bike isn't running. I've run my GPS for years this way, and haven't had any issues.

Be very careful with the charger in damp conditions. The plug that goes into your tablet is likely a micro USB. They are not noted for their robust nature, and there are numerous reports of folks frying stuff by plugging in a wet cable.

9. S H I F T Y

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. It is a micro USB, but I'm gonna run the cable up through the bottom of the tankbag and plug it into the tablet; which is under the waterproof plastic. So in theory, I should be alright.

I will probably just run it to the battery directly. If I am understanding you guys, as long as nothing is plugged into the power supply it is just sitting there dormant not draining the battery. Well, the only time something will be plugged in is if I'm riding it, so I will just keep it simple and hook it directly to the juicebox.
  10. Aaen

Aaen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure to use di-electric grease on the connectors, it will provide some weatherproofing. I basically packed the cigarette lighter output with this grease prior to plugging in the usb adapter, worked like a charm. I built my own cable that connects directly to the battery tender plugin, stuck a fuse on it. I left a switch off as it draws very little from the battery when left plugged in. If i want it off i just unplug it from the battery tender cable and voila.

Think everything cost me 15 bucks from radio shack, give or take.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    There's a product on the shelves called "silicone repair tape." It sticks to itself, and provides a bomber moisture seal. If you are going to plug the car charger into a standard cigarette-style outlet, a few inches of this stuff will insure a good connection.

I've recently found a waterproof case for my 7" tablet. It's not without issues, but I think I can make it work. While designed for the Samsung Galaxy, it fits my Lenovo tab nicely. It's an Aryca case, which appear to be just coming onto the market. I have one in hand, but sourcing is sketchy. I'll be field-testing soon.

I've been fiddling with the Dualsportmaps app, and think it will be very useful. I see that's what you're navigating with. I'm not yet ready to give up my dedicated GPS, but I'm going to give Craftycoder's product the college try. While I'm doing that, I'll have my primary GPS, the tablet, and likely a spare. I hate being in the boonies without reliable navigational information.
  12. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
  13. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's that tablet been working out for you?

Tipsy
  14. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    +1 I'd like to hear how it's working as a GPS.