Help Me Choose Tires

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by preppypyro, Dec 2, 2012.

1. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and gals,

I actually have a 950 SM, but I know many of you guys in here ride all kinds of roads and trails so I thought I would ask for advice here. I realize there is a few other 950 SM tire threads, but Im asking for a little more info on specific tires, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Im limited in what tires i can get for my SM, and am in the market for some new ones. My riding is 30-40 percent gravel, and the rest pavement, with many gravel/dirt summer farm type roads. Main use is gravel and pavement running to work and back, and this up coming summer I will be doing lots of riding pavement to the lake, then gravel riding to the lake and running around.

So due to my tire size (120/70/17 front, 180/55/70 rear), I have these choices.

Pirelli Scorpion trails, Conti Trail Attacks, and Continetal tkc-80's. (maybe a dunlop 616)

First thought was the tkc 80's, but the more and more reading I do on here, the more Im starting to second guess if they are best for my needs of a fair bit of pavement riding to get to the dirt and gravel trails that I want to spend time on.

Again due to my size of tires on my bike Im fairly limited, and was hoping some guys with some gravel experience could chime in (as well as pavement experience with the tkc's) and give me a little insight on their experiences. I realize many of you guys ride more offroad then just gravel trails so this wont apply to you guys, but there is many of you that have experience riding gravel and dirt trails too (I hope!)

Many thanks!
  2. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Have you looked at the Pirelli MT60, they look like they would work good for the type of riding your doing.
  3. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, the mt-60 would be perfect, but the largest width I can find is a 160/60/17. I know I could make it fit and seat on my SM rim, but I am not sure if it would have any negative effects regarding rideability...?

If anyone can confirm these would fit on my SM rim, I would snap those up in a second, they are exactly what I need!

As far as I can tell, the 160/60/17 would be approx 3/4 of an inch narrower, and approx half an inch difference in height?