1976 Honda Elsinore 250

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by IDRIDR, Aug 8, 2013.

1. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    I have an acquaintance with too many bikes in his stable. Terrible problem, I know. I'm beginning to feel the same way. He's looking to get rid of a 1976 Honda Elsinore 250 for $300 or maybe even talk him down a little. He's had it a long, long time and it was running before it found its way into the shed a dozen years ago or so. It's not all stock. Larger desert fuel tank and a few other things I don't recall. I'm thinking of it for a fun, winter project. Not looking to go full original restoration. Just something to tinker with, spend a few bucks, and ride around the desert.

What are your thoughts? I want to hear about this bike and all the damn headaches I'm in for it I drag it home. Decent deal for $300? I'll post more up, including some pics, when I get them. Are there some good resources out there? Any fans here?

Thanks!
  2. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    the price is right. there is mr250, mt250, and cr250, all have been called elsinore. the cr is the one you want.
  3. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    theres lots of cheap shiters around to ride around the desert on..
    No need to fuck over a classic...

dirty savage likes this.
  4. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    wow jumping to conclusions there arnt you ? or going for the dick head post nomination ?

the bike sounds like it is has already been ridden a bit and is not some prestine classic...the OP didnt say anything about hacking the bike up he sounds like he wants to make a rider out of it. What is so bad about that ?

Not every old bike needs to be restored. I have more respect for people who clean them up and ride them then people who do full on resto's and park them and talk about how fucking cool or classic their bike is.

Fix her right and ride it like it was meant to be ridden. :freaky
  5. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Pete - thanks for the warm welcome and amazing insight :eek1

Stainless - I'm not sure which model it is yet. Thanks for the heads up. I looked over those models and would probably be happy doing something with any of them. Is the CR more valuable....because I'm assuming since it was the dirt model they were abused and abandoned and now more rare to find a runner?

Jeff - you're hitting the nail on the head.

Yes, this bike has been ridden hard and put away wet. It's in no way pristine. The motor was painted by some delinquent PO. The owner, who I've known for years, takes pretty good care of his equipment but admits this bikes been beat on as it was meant to.

I don't expect it to be a full-restoration-and-put-shiney-thing-on-the-shelf project. It's much closer to get it running and have some fun riding around on a classic. Which is exactly what the owner wants to see happen. He's seen my work on my other bikes which is why he specifically offered it up to me. He's not throwing it out on CL.
  6. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    CR is the MX bike..pretty saught after..atleast the early ones but I would imagine the '76 is as well. you really dont see to many. they will have longer travel lay down shocks a skinny tank side number plates and a low pipe

MT is the street legal enduro. it will have a high pipe on the right side and no side number plates. shorter shocks more vertical. as well as all the street legal stuff the came with them

The MR is an "offorad" bike..more similar to the MT then the CR.. it would have a small speedo/odo as the only gauge, a headlight cage and a large tank from the factory....but I am pretty sure the MR never came as a 125 ?? I think the smallest was a 175 ??
  7. SandHogSC

SandHogSC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The MT was a dog and they seem to show up for sale often. The CR had an aluminum tank chromemoly frame and was a race bike. I think they went to an up pipe on the 76 on all Elsinores. I had a 73 CR 250 and a 74 CR 125 and they were both super fun bikes. Unfortunately I have neither of them now.
  8. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    The '75-'77 CR's are not very competitive with the same year RM, YZ, etc. Honda didn't lead the move to long travel like some of the others. No reason not to get one for fun though. In '78 they made a huge jump forward, just like '73. I'd get it!
  9. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
  10. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    A buck a cc, your in the ballpark. :D
  11. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Some good news.....owner tells me no lights or any such....its a dirt bike. CR it sounds like. This could be fun in the making.
  12. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    somewhere along the line someone could have taken the lights and other junk off it - only way to guarantee it's a cr is frame/engine numbers. either way, the price is not terrible for any of those models, although i'd be had pressed to spend $300 on a clapped out mt250..

if you're not dead set on the vintage thing, you may find a beatup late 80's/early 90's 250 running for about the same price range - would make a better desert bike....
  13. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    The first $300 on the way to $3300:clap. Another "cheap vintage bike that I can pick up for a song" thread. They are actually very plentiful, but everyone that has parts think they are gold plated. My advice....get something bigger and a lot more modern for desert use. Step away from that old one ...
  14. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    A classic,,,,,, the 76CR250 is in no great demand,outdated when built and useless for post vintage racing.
    I remember thinking my 74 CR250 was quick,till I bought a 77KTM250GP.
    The GP model revved and ran hard,didnt scatter it's gearbox and engine during the first year of it's life like the Elsinore did.

The CR250 seemed like a cheaply built tinker toy after riding the KTM.
  15. IDRIDR

Oddometer:
    Definitely a CR and either a '73 or '74 based on frame and engine numbers.http://honda-elsinore.alp-sys.com/elsieref/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=578#p2092

Frame: CR250M1012521 control 292796 on the California "Assigned Identification Number" frame tag (I suppose I need to look for another frame number as I'm assuming now that this California tag is not the official frame number.)

Engine:CR250ME1012681 on the right-side little plate, and CR250ME1012631 control 292797 on the "Assigned Identification Number" tag by the State of California. Another assumption is the right-side number is correct, and California mis-read an "8" for a "3" in the engine number.

[​IMG]