Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. PWRCRZR

PWRCRZR Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Should we have a thread just for Maine riders to check into now and then. A place we can post rides we want to do, rides we have done, questions, comments, rants and such.

Things not deserving of their own thread but things you want to post anyhow. It would keep other threads like the Tag thread from getting cluttered.

Just a thought if this thread fades that will be the answer.

And by the way I got out of work at noon today, geared up and hit the road by 1:30. Did a 200 mile loop of nowhere and everywhere, just followed signs and headed thru towns I hadn't been in before. Turned into a nice ride. I am headed out again Sunday with a friend and may do the same thing again.
    Erinaceous and boulet_boulet like this.
  2. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I guess that would work...

I too a decent blast to New Portland yesterday, stopped by the Kents Hill tag and on to my Son's place.

We installed the Vermont castings stove and took a short ride to post another tag that I can use some other time...

We may head up tp Sugarloaf tommorow....

Ciao,
    rd
  3. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Well since I got beat to posting the tag today I thought I would post some pics from my days ride.

I had to meet a customer at the DQ in Woolwich at 9:30 this morning so after that was done I got underway. I took 127/128 out to Dresden picked up 27 and headed for New Portland

[​IMG]

Once there I made short work of finding the wire bridge. Nice tag Rob I enjoyed the ride,:clap

[​IMG]

Now I was off in search of new tag locations. But since this tag was claimed all my locations are null and void since the rules state no file pics.

So I headed North on 27 to Kingfield where I jumped on 142 and took it all the way to Dixfield. 142 was a great ride fresh pavement from Philips to Dixfield. I grabbed a sandwich in Dixfield and headed west on 2. I spied I sign for a covered bridge and thought it would make a great tag.

[​IMG]

Then I headed for Gilead where I turned onto 113, my favorite road of the day. Never been thru it before but I will be going back again. Along the way thru the forrest I jumped a gravel road for a spell (my Bandits been reading the ADV forum too much:evil )and found another tag location I thought Blackfly would like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rules say the tag has to stay in Maine so my front wheel is in Maine:deal

Any how I continued on and stopped at the notch for another possible tag

[​IMG]

But since I didn't get home soon enough to claim the tag all these spots are useless. I am sure I will work them in next year.

I followed 113 into Freyburg and jumed 302 to Bridgton where I took 117 to Norway then 26 south to 121 into Auburn then 196 back to Brunswick and 1 back to Woolwich. all in all I had a good day and a great ride. Sometimes it is nice to take off alone and just ride.:D

Here is my days mileage.
    [​IMG]
    Erinaceous likes this.
  4. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Wow, David,
    You had a great route there... ! Man, you covered the good spots too...! Nice day for it.

We finished up the Vigilant stove and chimney installation at our Son's place and stated in on the kitchen remodeling effort, that will be a few more days work but worth it. Only thing I got in for a ride was the trek home... :rolleyes

Next time you head up to New Portland, take 8/11 from Belgrade, gets you off 27 and through towns like Madison, following the river, North Anson and into New Portland, swing left onto 16 and head to Kingfield. Nice roads and some decent sweepers. In the Spring that road from Belgrade to the Smithfield area can be bumpy though.

Thanks for the report.:thumb
    Rob
  5. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Hey David, PWCRRZR....

I will have to figure out whether I can get up to the new Maine Tag this weekend or not.... Saturday is supposed to be the best day however, not having been home for two weekends in a row is going to take it's toll soon.
    During the week I'll plug away at getting the wood under cover, we always leave the piles of wood out to dry until Oct and then stack it under the shelter, we are coming along but I really need to finish that up.

I'll see what the week brings and give you a call...

Man you have been through some sneakers huh...? Two sets for me with the new one and the others are still good, for now.

Later,
    Rob
  6. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. I went up to Rangley Lake region last month. The best riding I've seen in NNE. Gonna definitely go back next spring and rent a cabin for a few.
  7. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    Lots of great riding around the Rangely region as well as a quick jaunt into NH.

It is hard to beat the summer riding in ME/NH/VT
  8. Sink

Sink Stay Off The Slab

Oddometer:
    Hey Pwr, sounds like a good idea to me :thumb Looks and sounds like you had a nice ride :ricky
  9. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ain't that a great road?

<object width=425 height=318><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT0zOTc0NDg5NDcmaz1qR1VvcyZhPTYyOTgwMjJfM1VZZzUmdT1FdmlsQ2xvd24mZT0x" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashVars="s=aT0zOTc0NDg5NDcmaz1qR1VvcyZhPTYyOTgwMjJfM1VZZzUmdT1FdmlsQ2xvd24mZT0x" width=425 height=318 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Love that bridge. Gonna have to find that sometime.
  10. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    I took a blast over to the West this early afternoon...

Love this sign...

Route 118/35, not much elae to Hang about for in Lynchville... :lol3 Just this sign... :rolleyes
    rd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:
    You just missed one of the best foliage displays for the region, this fall. Best viewed from "hieght of land" north of the town of Mexico. I think it's route 17.

BFF :evil
  12. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:
    A long-time favorite of summer complaints, no doubt.

BFF
  13. PWRCRZR

Oddometer:
    I was going to use height of the land for my last tag just because I love the ride up #17. Coo's canyon rest area is worth a stop along the way, about 15 miles or so south of Height of the land. Angel falls is worth the trip in and a good GS ride as well. You do have to hike a ways beyond the parking but worth the trip.
  14. radguzzi

Oddometer:
  15. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Bump, gonna be chilly but what the hey... :lol3
    rd

16. Iron Dingo

Iron Dingo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Morning folks.
    i just joined the forum. and this seemd a good place to introduce myself. i live in gorham ride year round on a 2007 S2R 1000 been doing some road adventures in central and eastern europe.
  17. radguzzi

Oddometer:

Hey kr,
    Welcome to the playground... :wave

Photos of European trips are to be posted... It's a law... :lurk

There is a place for Trip Reports, let us know when to go view them... :D

Best,
    Rob

See you at breakfast Sunday...? :thumb
  18. Tnkrplt

Tnkrplt Retired...

Oddometer:
    New member here. Ride a DL650 out of Bethel.
  19. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Well, two in one day... !

Welcome to you too Tnkrplt... :wave

You have some good riding over that way... :thumb

I have been thinking about a Wee Strom... May have to pick yer brain.

Best,
    Rob
  20. Iron Dingo

Iron Dingo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    right now my photos are just dumped in a photobucket account i need to write up a real report.

prolly not on sunday.. i am trying to finish closing up a new 3 car garage ok 7 bike 1 car 1 shop garage w/ rumpus room above.. before snow flys... :D