The "Tanker Brace"...XR650R/Acerbis Sahara Tank Brace and Radiator Guard

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Hodakaguy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "Tanker Brace" is a brace/guard designed for XR650R's that are running a Acerbis Sahara Desert Tank (Also works great with the Clark, IMS, and OEM tanks). After installing a Sahara onto my XRR I found a few problems with the lower braces that are supplied with the tanks. I designed/built the Tanker Brace to solve these problems. After building one for myself a few other people wanted them so I decided to produce some for sale.

* First I found the Sahara tank will flex inward quite a bit when full, enough that it contacted/rubbed my radiator and KTM fan that I had installed. The Tanker Brace adds a small amount of pre-load (you pull the tank outward a bit to slide the brace in) that keeps the tank from rubbing the radiators/fan setups when full. Check the inside of your Sahara tank, you might find that yours has been rubbing the radiators also.

* I didn't feel that the provided Acerbis lower braces would provide enough protection for the radiators in a crash. The Sahara tank itself adds a good amount of radiator protection since it covers the sides of the radiators, but I've read where the tank can still flex enough to damage the radiators in a crash. The Tanker Brace ties both sides of the tank together and then into the upper motor mount that the Acerbis mounts used. Even if you crash hard enough to bend the Tanker Brace the extra space cushion between the tank and radiators provided by the pre-load of the Tanker Brace should keep the radiators damage free.

* I installed Unabiker radiator guards on my XRR. (This was the step that started the Tanker Brace build) After installing the guards I found that the Acerbis lower braces wouldn't fit any more with the Unabikers installed. The Tanker Brace allows the Unabikers to be used with the Sahara tank. (I believe the Sahara/Tanker Brace combo will protect the radiators sufficiently without need for extra radiator braces.....ie. Unabikers ect)

The Tanker Brace is fully TIG welded and parts are CNC cut. The braces come painted satin black with a fine textured finish . They are pre-threaded to accept the factory Acerbis hardware.

** Makes swapping between tanks a quick job as the tanks line up every time!, if you've dealt with the stock Acerbis lower brackets you know how flimsy they are and how they don't want to line up correctly.**

Cost: $75 + $10 shipping (Cont USA). PM me for payment details if you are interested in a brace.

Thanks.

Just out of the Jig.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the Tanker Brace installed on my XRR. You can see how it attaches into the front engine bolt and both sides of the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Misc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    BT4Stroke likes this.
  2. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Right on. Are the sheetmetal parts laser or water-jet cut, or hand-cut? Just wondering...
  3. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    The whole assy is hand built. I built the first one and got it just where I want it, then I built a jig so I can replicate them the exact same each time. I made a couple other small jig/tools to get the cuts and bends in the flat bar ect.

Hodakaguy
  4. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    If you want to give me me some dimensions or drawings, I'll create some simple CAD drawings for you so that you can have those parts laser cut. You'd be able to put those braces together a lot quicker...
  5. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a short run of items, which this probably will be, my guess would be that the way you are doing it is the best, most cost affective way.

Good luck, it looks like that you have made a nice product for others to use.

I must say, I have followed your posts, and you seem to enjoy your XR650R, and riding it, and improving the BRP.

I see from some of you photos that you ride near Finley, across the river from Wallula.
  6. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yeah I figured that I would make a small batch of them and see how they sell, if they sell I'll make another small batch. I also figure it will be a limited market. Jesusgatos....Thanks for the offer, if I was doing a bunch of them I would defiantly take you up on your offer.

Yeah we ride out in hover quite a bit, just out past Fintucky. :D You must have spent some time around here.

Hodakaguy
  7. FOCKER

FOCKER Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I gotta say that the build quality is the bomb! I got the first one and it fits like a glove. Only robotic laser cutting could produce something like this...In fact Hodakaguy might be a robot. :dunno

He is VERY meticulous regarding every cut, weld, grind and bend...Down to the cardboard thickness of the packaging!

You won't be disappointed...I'm not saying this to help boost his sales (He doesn't need the $) I'm saying this because he's a good guy and his talents deserve recognition.

~Focker
  8. Stevevh

Stevevh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got done installing the brace. It took me about 20 minutes and I did not have to take anything off the bike. Pretty amazing build quality, better than a lot of the retail aftermarket stuff I have bought lately. Really appreciate you doing this build Tom! Great work!!!

Oh, also now my tank lines up with the bolt holes, unlike the crap bent ones that came with the tank. Makes getting the tank on that much easier!!!:clap

X2 Hodakarobot is a very good guy,...uh robot!!:lol3:lol3
    pancake likes this.
  9. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:

Glad to hear that it fit good, I have 5 left from this batch. If I run out and there is still demand I'll fab another batch of them.

Thanks for the post.

Hodakaguy
  10. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I just finished a second batch of the braces, I have 7 left as of now. If you would like one just PM me.

Thanks,

Hodakaguy
  11. Stevevh

Stevevh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update!:D Just got back from a DS trip in OK and although I never crashed I did dump the BRP on the tank and the braces held up very well. Thanks again for doing this!:clap
  12. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve. Glad its working good for you. I feel it ads a bit of extra insurance.

Thanks for the follow up.

Hodakaguy
  13. SuperBonBon

SuperBonBon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just installed my new brace. Took less than 5 minutes to get on - a perfect fit! Way easier to get on than the original hardware.

My brace was shipped out the day after I ordered it, and arrived to me (in Canada!) 4 days later.

Thanks for a very good product - I hope it never gets tested. :wink:
  14. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it :thumb

I just ran out of the braces but will be doing another batch soon. I'll have the DRZ/IMS braces finished up soon also (To many house projects going on now....Arggggg :baldy )

Hodakaguy
  15. Stevevh

Stevevh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test away!!!! I have dropped the XR a few times and the braces are holding up great. These along with the big Acerbis tank really protect the radiators very well. A great product!!!! :clap

Here is a good picture of it installed on my piggy!

[​IMG]
  16. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the long delay. Another batch of Tanker Braces are now ready to ship! The new batch is Painted black with a hammered finish.

PM me if you are interested in a brace.

Thanks,

Hodakaguy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. SEMTEX

SEMTEX n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Hodakaguy,
    Thanks for reply on Brace, definately want one from you!!
    I'm up at 100 Mile House, B.C. So if you could e-mail me how much it will cost with postage and how I can pay, that would be Great. My e-mail is jeffsemtex@hotmail.com

Thanks again.... Jeff.:clap
  18. dmb

dmb DaveB

Oddometer:
    Hi Hodakaguy,

Just wanted to make sure i was on the list for the next batch of "Tanker Brace"

Thanks,
  19. jbrownmxr

jbrownmxr Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    Yeah me too.
  20. eshaw

eshaw slow learner

Oddometer:
    actually I'm first I think cause Ive been asking for a little while already. Its winter so I dont really need one, but I do want one real bad like. :amazon