California winter rides?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Ronin ADV, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I need some suggestions for some new rides. I live in Auburn and most of the areas I ride get covered in snow during winter. I'm looking for some new rides to do. I just did the WABDR and I like rides that I can do in 2-4 days. Lots of off pavement. Little or no slab. I have a WR but prefer to do longer camping based rides on my F800 so hard single track is out.
    So to all you Cali riders, what great routes do you recommend? I like the east slope of the Sierra's but some of that will also go under snow soon. Death Valley?
    Thanks in advance.

Dan
  2. scapegoat

scapegoat Pushin forward back

Oddometer:
    Death Valley is nice in winter and if ya aint never been ya gotta check it out, so is the coast unless its stormin....still better than trying to ride in 5 feet of snow :lol3
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Death Valley is pleasant at Christmastime. Take SPOT and tools or a buddy.
  4. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    If you want to stick mostly to pavement just pick a place on a map and go. In my opinion most of the interesting stuff is down dirt roads, The paved highways tend to be strait and with few exceptions transverse long valleys.

Here is an old post on Death Valley that might help. Some places with easy access. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9002684&postcount=20 Most of the lower elevation stuff should be accessible throughout the year.

Joshua Tree and Mojave Preserve might be worth a trip. The two can be connected via Amboy Road/route66. They are higher elevation but may get snow in Dec-Feb. Usually does not last long. Joshua tree has some good photo ops and some nice hiking trails. I like to camp at Jumbo rock. In the Mojave Preserve, the Kelso sand dunes can be accessed on a hard-packed gravel road (No Riding on the dunes but a good place to hike). Also you can camp at Hole in the wall or mid hills in the Mojave Preserve, but be aware that there is some sand on the dirt roads between the two campgrounds.

Anza Borrego area should be snow free for the most part.

There's also Carrizo Plain National Monument. Elkhorn and Soda lake roads are the two main dirt roads across it and as long as they are dry they are very easy. The LA Weekend ride thread usually has a ride out there in Jan.
  5. dabracing

dabracing 1

Oddometer:
    Death Valley is great, especially if your WR is plated. In that case, you can truck it to Big Pines, unload and enter the park on the north side and head south....it's all great from there.

Also lots of great stuff along the foothills without getting above 4k ft, both north and south of you.
  6. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    the desert. high or low
  7. BigBearRider

BigBearRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Baja.
  8. FullSails

FullSails Drunken Raider

Oddometer:
    Death Valley is awesome! Mojave is cool too. I have an F800GS too. i just moved to Sacramento so if you need a riding partner I've been wanting to ride Saline Valley and Death Valley.
  9. dabracing

dabracing 1

Oddometer:
    All this talk about Death Valley and I think I've talked myself into another ride there in 2 weeks. The weather should be perfect.
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If you are in Auburn, heading south on Hwy 49 offer lots of good riding, and the paved sections won't square off your tires.

There is the Burnside Lake trail up near the junction 88/99.

The Slick Rock trail off Hwy 4 near Lake Alpine is also a little known mecca for off roaders.

The trail between Hwy 4 and Hwy 108 will connect you to some good riding at Deer Creek or Hull Creek. Niagra Rim OHV up on Sonora Pass is also good , but it may be too late in the year to access that.
  11. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    I've ridden up there a bit. How is the Slick Rock trail identified on maps? Is it a Forest Svc Rd number...?
  12. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I think I inadvertently went down the slick rock trail you are talking about on my fully loaded F800 once. Got down a ways, figured I was in a bit over my head, especially since I was solo. I've been stoked to get back up there with my R2 ever since. The trail I'm talking about is up near the top of the pass by Bear Valley on highway 4 and heads toward Utica Res. That baby is going to be under snow soon. Anyone want in on a SoCal or DV trip this winter, shoot me a line and we can come up with a trip.

Dan
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I can't remember what the Forest Route number is for the Slick Rock Trail, but I think the signs actually call it Slick Rock Trail. You access it from the west end of Alpine Lake, on the same road as the campgrounds. No Trasspassing signs on either side of the road refer to everthing but the road itself.

It is a really rough trail, rated class 5 for 4X4 users. I made it through once with my full size pickup, but took some body damage in the process. A good dual sport could probably make it through.

Spicer Meadows Road (a little further west on Hwy 4) leads to the same place via fire roads. Utica and Union Reservoirs are a couple of my favorite Sierra lakes.
  14. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    less than 2 weeks away

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732918
  15. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Sac.

I'm going to do some off road trip in the desert during winter. I also plan to do one of the Chico to the coast loops minus the areas with snow. I have a 650 dakar thats all tricked out. PM me, lets put something together.