Winston-Salem NC

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by d.burbach, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was good to meet y'all yesterday in MOD. I take it the third bridge over Rock Creek was truly closed yesterday. Coming from the south side, Sylvatus Smith Road (Rt 693) is pretty crooked down to the river. A right just over the first bridge goes down a decent gravel road (Rt 764) along the creek for several miles. Great views that eventually take you to Dugspur.

If anyone has an interest in a Union Grove/Brushy Mountain/Boomer/Ferguson/Champion/Millers Creek/Stone Mountain/Rockford loop in the next few weeks, let me know. Should be about 4-5 hours or so of riding from Lewisville or thereabouts. The roads are probably cleaner than up in Virginia.
  2. DEPARKER1817

DEPARKER1817 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good meeting you too Hoodis. Keep us posted, I'm game.:freaky
  3. kickstand72

kickstand72 i just ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1! :ricky
  4. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you Hoodis. Kickstand and I live at I-77 and Hwy 421 intersection. Union grove is 5 miles away.

Lets ride together soon.

Great to ride with you again Parker. I had fun and got to show you guys a few new places.
  5. KingJarhead

KingJarhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like y'all had a great time. I wish I could have made it...it would have been just for lunch due to other obligations....but I knew if I met up, the talk of the ride would have lured me in and I would have went riding. Unforunately I had to do the responsible thing...I know myself well enough to know what I would have choose...
    Hopefully next time!
  6. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the trail along 52 but it has been a while back. There is lots of hills and valleys with several creek crossings at the bottom, it shows just how much grading was done to make 52 as level as it is. The creek crossing banks where badly eaten up thanks to 4 wheelers, they do a lot of damage.

I know how I got there but really don't know the road names. I'm pretty sure one of the ways in and out of that trail was at the rural hall/bethania road at 52.

I also remember the trail feeling real exposed to the highway, like a highway patrol officer was going to meet me at the exit point, I didn't go back. Cables across the trial entrance were set up, it hardly felt like a welcome sign.
  7. late-apex

late-apex XR650L

Oddometer:

By looking at the trail on google maps it looks like the southern most part of the trail is on Ziglar Rd. in Winston-Salem along the RR tracks. I might scout it out in the next few weeks. 4 wheelers will tear up a trail in a heartbeat but they are good about cutting out new ones.
  8. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't think it could get much nicer

[​IMG]
  9. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Indeed. And the wife is out of town. I just need a sidecar to keep the pup happy.
  10. callison

Oddometer:
    I probably just jinxed the whole thing, will be nice all week then rain all weekend.

I should keep my mouth shut.
  11. late-apex

late-apex XR650L

Oddometer:
    Hey Cory when are you going to ride out to AAA with us? :1drink
  12. callison

Oddometer:
    I'm game, the planets need to get in line, last couple weekends my better half has been busy so I'm pulling kid watch.

Next weekend looks to be almost ideal. Anything planned?
  13. late-apex

late-apex XR650L

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting on weather to ride again, that place gets extremely muddy. Nothing like riding from Yadkinville to King in the cold while being sweaty and muddy.
  14. callison

Oddometer:
    I'm in the middle of planning a route for this coming Sunday, was thinking about trying to make it out to to the West Jefferson/Warrensville area. My plan is to get over to hwy 88 making a loop around the mountains while looking for interesting diversions.

Any suggestions on rides in and around the area?
  15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know some great roads in the area!

Lets see how my weekend shakes up.
  16. late-apex

late-apex XR650L

Oddometer:
    Will it be a dualsport ride or only paved roads?
  17. callison

Oddometer:
    I would prefer off pavement. I'm not familiar enough with the area to plot a specific route. My intent was to go explore the area and see what I could find.
  18. late-apex

late-apex XR650L

Oddometer:
  19. Hoodis

Hoodis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on the Brushy Mtn./Ferguson/Champion/Millers Creek/Stone Mtn. loop tomorrow. Probably leaving Lewisville around 10:00 which would mean Union Grove about 10:30.
  20. kickstand72

kickstand72 i just ride..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ive got a potential buyer for the klr coming at 12:00 and i think sidewinder has the kids this weekend. Thanks for the invite though!:D That should be a awesome loop!

Yesterday i jetted up to Independence VA. took 58 to Damascus then 133 to shady and back 421 (snake) 58 has a ton of pea gravel and is slicker than owl shit. 133 and 421 are clear except the thawing has created rock slides on 421. The biggest being about cinder block sized. Whitetop area mountains still coverd in snow as well.